The Adventures of Chungus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past summer, I had a number of encounters while out on the road that made me realize that a low-slung Miata was not the ideal camping vehicle. While it's an absolute joy to drive, my '90 just wasn't cutting it as a camping vehicle. Nor was my Mazdaspeed 3. It got really frustrating trying to get down trails in a car that will high-center on speed bumps. I had to be really careful and thorough when researching campsites; "easy drive in" from internet reviews wasn't enough reassurance. After looking into the CX-5 as a candidate for an "off-roader" I accepted the fact that I'd have to leave Mazda behind in favor of outdoor pursuits.

RoadTrip-0634.1.jpg

Research led me to 4-Runner and X-Terra, I followed my gut and started to look at Toyotas. I've had multiple friends and family with Camrys and Corollas past the 200 mile mark, I trust the brand. I do a lot of hiking and photography, so I felt like I had valid reasons to trade in my the Speed 3. It mostly sat in the summer and had been relegated to being a winter beater and cargo hauler. That's not how a hot hatch should live.

After a bit of searching for 4-Runners, I stumbled across a hidden gem that had been sitting for months on a used car lot. Enter Chungus.

LX-2298.JPG

I snagged this minty 1997 LX-450 with a mere 169,300ish miles, 5 previous owners, and one theft. Just looking at it on the lot, I knew this was the 4x4 that I was going to get. The test drive confirmed this. I just love how it trundles down the road without any sense of urgency. It's bone stock. It's slow. It's comfy. I'd even argue that it's one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. I kept the Miata to keep balance in my life.

It's single locked, but I plan on sticking to fire roads and mild trails... for now. The main priority is to have a comfortable weekend trail cruiser that can also be commuted in during the colder months. I will be adding a rear locker down the road, just for peace of mind when I'm in the outdoors.

Under the hood, the day I picked it up:

20190918_164339.jpg

Under the truck:

20190918_164402.jpg

20190918_164406.jpg

I've had it since September and have already racked up nearly four thousand miles. I'll be posting more about what's happened between then and now in the future. My repair hierarchy has been mechanical/reliability first, quality of life second, and adding extras last.

What's been fixed so far:
- Dealer installed new battery, new fluids (Oil, coolant, power steering ATF, etc)
- Clean bill of health from an independent inspection
- Vacuum switching valve (for P0401)
- Fixed rear wiper washer sprayer
- Oil change
- Winter tires installed
- Power door lock actuators
- Greased power window assemblies
- Glued up blown speakers
- New headunit

On the wish list:
- Beefed up bumper
- Winch
- Sliders
- Summer appropriate tires
- Front/rear cameras

I'm really excited to be part of the 80 Series community! Any advice/feedback is welcome. I'll be sharing more in future posts 🍻

Last edited:
Looks nice! Miata and an 80 are a great combo.

Advice: reads the FAQs and read the baselining threads. Refresh fluids and anything rubber.

Steering wheel looks brand new.

Looks like a super clean truck with low miles to boot. Congratulations and welcome.

The mx-5 / 80 is a nice broad spectrum combo

I would set a few bills aside for a new radiator as funds allow. That yellowing is the early signs of aging. From here the heater valve looks newer but good insurance to check or ad to the list as the health of the cooling system is paramount. And grab some factory ignition wites when the time is due.

Enjoy!

Steering wheel looks brand new.

I couldn't help but notice the steering wheel as well...

Welcome to the addiction! I'm not sure where in Colorado you are, but I'm in the springs. Holler if you ever need an extra hand with something.

Thanks for the responses everybody!

Are the steering wheels wearing out a common issue? Aside from the driver seat and wood trim, the interior is in great shape. The auto climate is super cool.

I've been loving the FAQ, and have been using it to get my various fixes done.

The original radiator in my Miata was the same color at 160k, I was thinking I'd be due for one in the LX before the weather gets hot again. I started researching OEM vs. Upgraded aftermarket this morning.

I'm in the north suburbs of Denver 👍

It's probably worth noting one of my housemates is a Cruiser guru, I helped with the heavy lifting involved in swapping a Chevy 351 into his FJ62. That said, extra hands are always welcome! I can pay in beer and food.

20190902_090226.jpg

+however many to thinking it's a pretty darn clean looking rig!

Welcome to the Rabbit (or is it money?) Hole! Either way you found the best place to learn. More knowledge here than I'll ever be able to digest in my lifetime.

As for your wish list. All good things to have but I'd def focus on baselining first unless you have deep pockets. Once you start it's hard to stop...

Also, kinda a Mud thing to post the flip off emoji to ya but I've never been able to find it on my phone.

Damn, that's a nice looking 80. 😎 x4 on radiator. Sad to see the speed3 go, that is one heckuva little car, but I guess if you've got a miata, that should cover your "zoom zoom." I am a long-time adherent to the lumbering offroader + sporty DD way of life and it works great for Colorado.

Nice Truck!

X5 on the radiator!

Buy it now and change it as soon as you have time! Mine exploded on the highway and there's no going any further without it!

I just watched a radiator replacement video and will continue to do research throughout the week.

I popped the hood to check on belts and hoses but everything looks pretty good to me. The fan clutch feels like it has good resistance/ viscosity. I'll do my research on what else should be done while I'm in there.

20191210_105059.jpg

20191210_105105.jpg

20191210_105122.jpg

Being at high altitude, will there be a benefit to upgrading to a higher performance unit, or will an OE Denso be an acceptable replacement? I'll be consulting the FAQ.

You probably won't know until summer time.

I have an older OEM radiator and I get into the 210-215* ballpark climbing Floyd Hill and the like on a 95* day. I have replaced my fan clutch with a modded one, which helped, but still didn't quite bring temps down to where I wanted. I bought a TYC 1918 to replace it based on MUD research. Cliffs notes on all that research: the TYC results in significantly lower temps for the Arizona guys, but it will not last nearly as long as OEM (or some of the other better aftermarket brands) and also may also be damaged in shipping. Should be treated more like a disposable radiator, but one that does a great job at lowering temps. Expect to replace every few years.

I just watched a radiator replacement video and will continue to do research throughout the week.

I popped the hood to check on belts and hoses but everything looks pretty good to me. The fan clutch feels like it has good resistance/ viscosity. I'll do my research on what else should be done while I'm in there.

View attachment 2153531

View attachment 2153532

View attachment 2153533

Being at high altitude, will there be a benefit to upgrading to a higher performance unit, or will an OE Denso be an acceptable replacement? I'll be consulting the FAQ.

Search for the landtank blue fan hub mod thread.
Blue fan hub is probably the one to go for if you're going to buy a new replacement. Look at getting a modded one from Wits End.

Fan operation can be critical to keeping coolant temps under control. Particularly if you're working it hard climbing highway mountain passes in summer. I'm guessing Colorado has the occasional hill? :hmm:

You should be able to hear the fan roar as it cycles in and out.

I think your baseline, upgrade strategy is sound.

Reading FAQ and baselining threads is a good idea, at least so you're partially aware of common issues.
I think it's good to slowly pick away at some of the PM items and get familiar with your truck.

Ih8mud is a great source of info, guidance and assistance trouble shooting. It can also induce hysteria and paranoia and lead you down an expensive rabbit hole "fixing" things that don't need to be fixed.
A lot of base lining items won't be critical to all rigs. Yours looks like it has had some love. Be selective what you attack

She B clean. No rust.
Welcome to the addiction.
Slee newbie section is good info to read.

Been reading up on radiators and baselining. At this point I'm thinking I'll either get a Denso or Koyo radiator. Something equivalent to OEM. Going through the rest of the baseline thread, most of the items on the list seem to be in good shape, or easily addressed.

Truth be told, when I posted in the 80 Series registry thread and doing a baseline was suggested, I just assumed that meant "go wheel until you can't wheel anymore, then upgrade/fix the shortcomings". So that's what I did.

Not even a week after driving off the lot, I took it up to Caribou Flats, a moderate trail outside of Nederland, CO.

20190928_073301.jpg

The September fall colors were spectacular, and the trail was fairly easy.

As a former employee of Land Rover, I'd recieved some extensive off-road training. I felt pretty confident. Aired down to 25 psi, the LX comfortably trundled through the woods. I know running solo is sketchy, which is why I picked a trail within walking distance to civilization and came prepared with a good radio, camping supplies, and lots of water.

LX-2406.JPG

Everything was going smoothly until I encountered a big ol mud hole. It had rained the night before. I am smart.

20191006_115752.jpg

20191006_115725.jpg

Pictures don't do it justice. Anyone who has run this trail can probably attest that it's a little gnarly. I came in from the high line on the right, then promptly slid into the hole. After 4-5 attempts at rocking back and forth, Chungus clawed it's way out, and off I went. Incredible.

Unfortunately, I did tag the front bumper. It's a touch dented now, nothing major. A small price to pay for a big lesson learned - run better tires. And pick better lines. I'm grateful that this was the only trail rash from my first time out.

LX-2456.JPG

Fun little trail. In the spring time, the mud holes just on the Caribou side of the creek crossing get pretty massive, but can usually be bypassed. My buddy in a Ram on 38" swampers got stuck in one of those holes a couple years ago. Would definitely be a chore on Michelin LTX's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom