What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would weld and re-tap.

thats cast iron - I’ve never welded cast before and not really sure what that would entail, but I’ve always heard it’s a challenge.

thats cast iron - I’ve never welded cast before and not really sure what that would entail, but I’ve always heard it’s a challenge.

Cast is notoriously difficult to weld due to needing to be preheated, and the possible alloys that it could be as well. If done improperly, it can crack. I'd let a professional do it since I would consider that a pretty big safety item. Or just find a new knuckle.

Cast is notoriously difficult to weld due to needing to be preheated, and the possible alloys that it could be as well. If done improperly, it can crack. I'd let a professional do it since I would consider that a pretty big safety item. Or just find a new knuckle.

yep - I’ve got a blown casting around a tensioner bolt on my old 1934 Delta drill press. If I was going to practice, it would be on that, and not my steering knuckle!

for this a helicoil/timesert seems like an option (or a new knuckle). I’ve confirmed the rotor is also going to need to be replaced so I’ve pretty much got to tear the whole thing down either way. The rotor is pressed onto the hub via the lug bolts...

Helicoil/timesert should be fine. The knuckle is most likley cast steel. I dont think cast iron would hold up in that application. You can check it with a grind test. If it sparks orange
/reddish it will be iron, if it sparks light yellow/light orangey its steel, just like grinding on mild steel.

Last edited:
Turned some wrenches, went on a beer run and spotted this little toy.

View attachment 2654334View attachment 2654335
Tears in my eyes. My first car was a hand-me-down White 1964 356B. I had it professionally nuts and bolts restored 1984, but sadly it "exploded" and burnt out while an ex girlfriend's father who owned an identical one, was delivering it to my new house. Just boom! Caught fire at the traffic light and burnt so fat and fierce he could not even get his overnight bag off the back seat. Suspected fuel leak. Loved that car.

I can't tell if that's an original or replica but seeing how close it's parked to other cars... I'm gonna go out on a hunch and say replica. Still super sweet and is on my wish list.
Looked like a real deal, the interior was gutted like it was an ongoing project, overall up close the rig just had that "old" look to it.

Looked like a real deal, the interior was gutted like it was an ongoing project, overall up close the rig just had that "old" look to it.
Wow, that's a brave driver parking that close to other vehicles seeing as to what these are selling for now.

After I got my soft top from Julie@DirtRoadTops and bow set from RealSteel Cruiser Parts and powder coat from Bayou City Coatings, I found the windshield rail needed to be raised a little bit. The seams in the top fabric are catching on the windshield wipers (early FJ40) when I put the top on.

I solved that problem and caused another one. Now I have wind and rain coming in through the gap I made. So I did it over and put in some air conditioner sealing foam. All I have to do now is drive in the rain again and see if it works.

View attachment 2653397

View attachment 2653398
Odd you are having that issue. The material must be much thicker than the canvas top. This is the channel for my soft top.

20210424_130105.jpg

Installed my gas tank back in yesterday after taken it back out a couple of years ago. My dad and I was putting the motor, transmission and transfer case into the cruiser and realized that the transmission cover wasn’t going to work due to the cruiser having a 3speed originally and swapped it out for a 4speed. That was a upsetting day haven to pull the gas tank off among other things I had to remove to bolt down the back of the motor mounts.

C0FD9ECF-C394-4FBC-8BCD-E8B6A87C591C.jpeg

506938BA-057D-4CAB-8CCF-4347FA02D245.jpeg

Finally got around to offering my 2 Holley Sniper 2GC Large Bore fuel injection kits.

ABS VERSION as well as a Aluminum Riser version.

ABS
20210423_212348.jpg

20210423_213825.jpg

20210423_213822.jpg

ALUMINUM RISER
20210423_221317.jpg

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

If you don't have it, you'll figure something out.

Yesterday I received, stripped, painted and mounted my "new" SOR style brush guard. Very happy with the outcome. Thanks @JKIII FJ40!View attachment 2655509

Plan use the same brush guard on my 73 FST. A member I did see trading with gave it to me. Was on his 40 when he got it just wanted it gone.
IMG_20190326_163416526.jpg
IMG_20200920_144309256_HDR.jpg

I really like the brush guard Dave Gore made years ago but those would require a lot of work to be able to mount the factory PTO winch. The old Specter Off Road should be fairly easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom