Who has a Warn 8274 Winch on their FJ40? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to add one to my FJ40, so wanted to see who else has one installed and what they think? In the market to buy one now, so let me know!

IMO the 8274 is THE winch to have on a FJ40. They just look right, work right (good match power wise) and is somewhat traditional if you look at all of them that have been mounted over the years. The venerable 8274 is the first winch that comes to mind when I think about a FJ40. 👍

What's a 8274?

Really........?

Warn 8274.....upright.
IMG_7340.jpg

IMO the 8274 is THE winch to have on a FJ40. They just look right, work right (good match power wise) and is somewhat traditional if you look at all of them that have been mounted over the years. The venerable 8274 is the first winch that comes to mind when I think about a FJ40. 👍
Thx, now to find the right one!

Start saving your pennies and keeping both eyes open on eBay, Craig's List, and other parts site or rag you can think of. I went a lot of years before I found one in decent condition and working for $500. That's been a few years back but there are still a few out there.

I found one about three years ago for $300.00. I have been bench testing it for three years. Meaning it has sat on or under the bench that long. A bumper was traded for not long ago, so maybe pictures in the next year or so.
Slack a$$ mechanic.
04035E42-0A65-4C45-91B0-E2746CCB5D60.png

Cut and paste on to you own FJ40

Last edited:
I looked up what the number 8274 stood for a few years ago. The 8 stands for 8000, 2 speed or something like that, and 74 is the year it was introduced.

I bought mine about 4 years ago or so for $350 I believe. Found it on Craigslist in Kentucky and drove there from North of Atlanta and back without my wife knowing about it. I believe it’s a really early model because there’s no serial number on it.

I looked up what the number 8274 stood for a few years ago. The 8 stands for 8000, 2 speed or something like that, and 74 is the year it was introduced.

Sounds about right. I have the original winch on my 1969 and it is a Bellview. The daddy to the 8274. Warn bought Bellview around then and used the design to enrich their design.

I just picked one up on eBay last week for $625. Was semi local, so no shipping. Look in the Pacific Northwest Craigslists. They are routinely on there for $500-1000. A lot of folks don’t want to ship them though.

The FJ40 is made for the 8274, which needs room for its tall (and extremely strong) spur-drive gear case, which is also more efficient than planetary winch gears. They're easy to rebuild and all parts are available, so don't hesitate to buy used. It will last forever.
FJ40 at dusk.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom