What to use for windshield weatherstrip sealant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1Fine40

Rust Buster
Threads
In the process of installing new front windshield and re-installing other glass on the hard top. What is the recommended sealant to use for them? Would like some collective wisdom on what others have used to seal those windows watertight!

Thanks much!

And as always, Cheers!:cheers:

People us a soapy solution to help install the glass but no other sealant other then weatherstripping should be required with a proper fitting piece of glass. I know modern windshield require a sealant on the inside of the glass but not on a 40 series. I have seen where the weatherstripping shrinks and the bond where it make a complete circle breaks and people have used silicone in the gap.

I used soapy water and the "rope trick" on all my 76 glass. A helper would be nice but I did mine solo.

Not a windshield but same thing.

20170107_120753.jpg

When I removed the windshield and side glass on the back, there was some type of sealant used between the rubber and the metal frame from the factory...it was really sticky, but I have no idea what it may have been. Yes, I am using factory rubber weatherstrips. I removed all the glass to deal with rust and to repaint the rig after body work...this is just some final details that I have yet to iron out!

Bueller?? Anyone??

So when I took out my windows to replace the gaskets I noticed a black substance on the metal - it wasn't sticky and was dry. Not sure what it is but could be what you're referring to. Seems like you could just put some silicon under there if you're really worried about the gaskets not creating an adequate seal. And really you may just want to do this at the top of the window just in case water gets in you want it to be able to drain - like flashing on a window.

50321442580__0593CA0A-2622-4E07-BBC7-E6B713A812E5.JPG
50321044726__2A0549D8-BD96-420C-84D7-A01B5A63A8BA.JPG

Do not use silicone to seal the gasket to anything metal, painted or not. The silicone harbors moisture and will enhance rust.
Although it isn't necessary, a liquid butyl rubber can be applied in that area. The original install used this method.

Yessir. That type of sealer is necessary on FJ80 windshield to seal to lower cowling properly. It is very messy.
CR Laurence, 3M, Essex all have adhesives and sealers designed for autoglass. Silicone sealer is great from rubber to glass but an absolute no no on metal.

Wonderful! That is the stuff I have been looking for :clap:! I knew it had to be a rubber based adhesive of some kind...

Thanks very much for pointing me to the right stuff!!

:cheers:

How about something like this??
Amazon.com: 3M 08610 Window-Weld 1/4" x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Kit: Automotive

Would seem to be less messy that a tube of butyl and maybe you get the same result??

The problem with the ribbon sealer is that it is a solid. This was used from the late 1960s until the 80s for autoglass installation. Designed to hold a spacific hight allowing the glassto fit tight against windshield trim. Urethane adhesive was invented making the butyl ribbon almost obsolete. It is still used still but has a foam core to allow better sealing with a bolt in type glass say for a late 90s F150 backglass.

How about something like this??
Amazon.com: 3M 08610 Window-Weld 1/4" x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Kit: Automotive

Would seem to be less messy that a tube of butyl and maybe you get the same result??

Wait, why are you still convinced you need to use a sealer? The only thing that needs to be installed is the glass and the weatherstrip/seal. There is absolutely no need for any type of liquid/butyl/urethane sealer unless you have glass that was cut the wrong size or mangled steel.

Last edited:
Simply because there was a sealant of some sort used by the factory between the windshield frame and the rubber windshield gasket. If water gets in there, it rusts...I know! I had to repair my window frame and replace rusted metal prior to the stage I am at now, which is re-assembling it all...I don't want my hard work to go for naught!

The problem with the ribbon sealer is that it is a solid. This was used from the late 1960s until the 80s for autoglass installation. Designed to hold a spacific hight allowing the glassto fit tight against windshield trim. Urethane adhesive was invented making the butyl ribbon almost obsolete. It is still used still but has a foam core to allow better sealing with a bolt in type glass say for a late 90s F150 backglass.
OK, so a more liquid substance is what is required...back to looking....But thanks for clarifying this!

:beer:

Simply because there was a sealant of some sort used by the factory between the windshield frame and the rubber windshield gasket. If water gets in there, it rusts...I know! I had to repair my window frame and replace rusted metal prior to the stage I am at now, which is re-assembling it all...I don't want my hard work to go for naught!
I am 2nd owner of my 77--sister bought it new. glass was never touched in the yrs she owned it. I replaced a broken rear glass 2 yrs after I got it--no 'sealer' was used from the factory--surfaces were clean. The same for when I removed the WS frame to do some rust repair(no sealant)I'm thinking a PO replaced the glass and used the sealant you speak about.

Guess that is a possibility, but it has been in there 15 years at least!!

I'm basing my "need" for a sealant on the factory service manual that calls for it...see line item #6..
252Body10-13.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom