What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (55 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jealous of the late model dual dome light.

To my knowledge Toyota never offered a second room light in the 40 series. 10/81+ Toyota used a room that also worked off the front doors.
PXL_20230903_203337319.jpg

What Toyota did change was having room light opening on both sides. The passenger side got a blank plate. That date was 6/82 based on the NLA blank plate. I pulled one from a wrecked 84 Australian troopy.
20220206_110428.jpg

20220206_110422.jpg

It's now on a very nice late model troopy from the Middle East.

I stowed my steel doors. Taking down the canvas and frame was such a chore there’s no telling when I will feel like putting it all back on. Next chore is making a storage bag for the canvas.

IMG_8280.jpeg

IMG_8281.jpeg

Finished restoring my roll bar for my 1975 Fj40, got it painted satin black, cleaned up the rubber pads and all new hardware.
IMG_2442.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

With the roll bar installed, I also got a couple of black bikini tops for my year round summer weather here in Hawaii. They both are a little too small and fit a little too tight. I’m going to keep both, but only one is being installed on the 40!😘
IMG_2454.jpeg

27725480-2D45-441B-B360-737E2E71F1D3.jpeg

IMG_2493.jpeg

It will work for now, but will eventually have to figure out a better way to strap the top down when I add the rear jump seats. If left like it currently is, it would be a pain for anyone sitting in the jump seats.

It will work for now, but will eventually have to figure out a better way to strap the top down when I add the rear jump seats. If left like it currently is, it would be a pain for anyone sitting in the jump seats.
I slipped my straps around the roll bar out of the way of passenger heads you can seen here:
IMG_1868.jpeg

Given your bar is new and shiny, you might get some chaffing from the straps so it may not be a great solution.

With the roll bar installed, I also got a couple of black bikini tops for my year round summer weather here in Hawaii. They both are a little too small and fit a little too tight.
It looks pretty sturdy, and its probably better too tight than too loose - you don't want that flapping around at 60mph and exposing you to the elements.

Since yesterday was my birthday, and Monday is my wife's, and since I, uh, forgot to get the cheesecake on my Walmart grocery hunt yesterday (and, uh, tomatoes), I took a Cruise this morning to rebalance Chi and Karma (it was so fun):

IMG_E0186.JPG

I slipped my straps around the roll bar out of the way of passenger heads you can seen here:
View attachment 3593993

Given your bar is new and shiny, you might get some chaffing from the straps so it may not be a great solution.
That’s a good idea. I thought about doing that but didn’t want to rub on the new paint job. But will probably go to that once the rear jump seats are restored and installed.

BTW, do you happen to have the part number for your bikini top? Is it bestop? Yours seems to fit way better and I know there are a bunch out there.

It looks pretty sturdy, and its probably better too tight than too loose - you don't want that flapping around at 60mph and exposing you to the elements.
Very true! That is also applicable to the bikini top I just installed on my 40🤪.

That’s a good idea. I thought about doing that but didn’t want to rub on the new paint job. But will probably go to that once the rear jump seats are restored and installed.

BTW, do you happen to have the part number for your bikini top? Is it bestop? Yours seems to fit way better and I know there are a bunch out there.
I think that one was a Specter off-road top. It was more canvas/denim type material that was gray and didn't get soft or stretch in the summer sun like the shiny vinyl tops I used to run on older cruisers. I really liked the material but it eventually came un-stitched one too many times after 10 years. I did have to replace the plastic buckles as they got brittle being in the sun as well. I think the thread used was not UV stable if that kind of thing even exists.

I was going to order the family style bikini but ended up making it on my own with my wife.
Bikini tops, on a 40, seem too small.

IMG_9929.jpeg

When first installed. It’s much more form fitting now.

Got the propeller mount from AA and everything welded in and bolted down. Celebrated with a couple fingers of bourbon my son sent down for Christmas.
IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4732.jpeg

image.jpg

Replaced the rear shackle bushings, so 1/2 are new now. I still need to replace the ones at the frame.
IMG_9220.jpeg

The old bushings.
IMG_9221.jpeg

I also replaced the belt with OEM 99343-11265-77.

DSC_0003 - Copy (2).jpeg
DSC_0006 - Copy (2).jpeg

Maybe by the end of the summer it will be road worthy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom