Mr. Wayne (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is Mr. Wayne, 2017 LX570, meant to replace Bruce, our 2005 GX that has been doing off-road duty, winter commuting and pulling Alfred (23’ airstream) around the west. We wanted something just a bit bigger for towing and for hauling the growing family.
B20E179F-49D6-4EE5-A53F-4F9B6318DAFE.jpeg

I‘ll miss the GX. It has Bilstein lift and 33’s and feels more nimble and better pick up with a softer ride than the LX (totally subjective). It’s been so great with the lift, skids and hidden winch. It has just over 200,000 miles, an exhaust manifold leak and peeling clear coat but is otherwise so choice.
A531B03A-3F62-4257-9415-AB2D3C97F011.jpeg

The LX will be great for better overall comfort and space, for sure. Towing the big trailer will especially be a better experience.

I think we got a decent deal as it’s a rust free one-owner. It has 20” fuel wheels which will keep snow tires on them.

Future plans for the LX so far include:
-“sensor lift” and spring spacers
-FN BFD 18” wheels in bronze
-275/70r18 BFG KO2 (maybe 295s)
-redarc brake controller
-ASFIR skids (when they come out)

I have a few questions I’ll need to search the forums for:
-do spring spacers improve AHC pressures when lifted and/or heavily loaded?
-will the above tires and wheels rub much due to +18 offset
-will a Rhino4x4 front bumper fit the 2017 LX? Which version? How to purchase?
-which sliders require the least hacking to fit?
-which rear bumper to get for best clearance, weight and looks?
-what are good solutions for inside storage with the third row that don’t make it look “tactical”
-where’s a good location to mount my scangauge to monitor ATF temps or is there a better way?

That’s it so far.

I’m glad to be part of the 200 series forum now.

No, and @grinchy is the only person that has addressed spring rate issue. Grinchy is my hero.
And now, I’ll be the first to do this;
1C385B99-C33D-47BC-A327-68D60A1E8F39.jpeg

C383D8CA-1E80-4B8B-911E-509B92A67989.jpeg

Spacer only corrects shock travel limits. With any amount of lift, the springs are still underutilized.

Very impressed with quality from Westcott and very well priced. No BS off road tax.

After install ill be 30mm rear coil preload and whatever the front preload is on the spring collar. 30mm top mount shock travel spacer in the front as well, and im using rubber isolators as well.

Welcome to the club buddy.

As far as wheels and tire i dont want to get into it, but 18s are solid choice. I would not exceed +25 offset though, unless your 34” plus in tire and lifted.

Last edited:
Oh and @TeCKis300 took care of his rears with bags.

Credit where credit is due.

But teck, i need a better solution to the rear shock extension. Your post on that was um, gruesome. Lol

This is Mr. Wayne, 2017 LX570, meant to replace Bruce, our 2005 GX that has been doing off-road duty, winter commuting and pulling Alfred (23’ airstream) around the west. We wanted something just a bit bigger for towing and for hauling the growing family.
View attachment 3175877
I‘ll miss the GX. It has Bilstein lift and 33’s and feels more nimble and better pick up with a softer ride than the LX (totally subjective). It’s been so great with the lift, skids and hidden winch. It has just over 200,000 miles, an exhaust manifold leak and peeling clear coat but is otherwise so choice.
View attachment 3175883
The LX will be great for better overall comfort and space, for sure. Towing the big trailer will especially be a better experience.

I think we got a decent deal as it’s a rust free one-owner. It has 20” fuel wheels which will keep snow tires on them.

-redarc brake controller

-what are good solutions for inside storage with the third row that don’t make it look “tactical”
-where’s a good location to mount my scangauge to monitor ATF temps or is there a better way?

That’s it so far.

You have great tastes in vehicle and trailers there. :cool:.

Yes, spring spacers are necessary to compensate for otherwise increased hydraulic pressures with sensor lifts. It won't change the spring rate to @AnyMal s point, but that's not as big of deal as AHC is already progressive rate in nature and will generally respond to higher loads. Airbags in the rear can help if more rate and payload is needed, to get into AHC high for examples, as Airstreams can be pretty tongue heavy.

I would avoid the +18 offset wheels as you are towing heavy. Or even +25. Reason being that when towing heavy, the steering can pull at very high torque outputs or braking. In moutains or passing etc. That can be tiring for long trips. +35 to +50 is what you want for mildly oversized tires.

Watch the weights and I would caution skids, as that may compromise cooling especially towing

Instead of scan gauge, look at OBD Apps. OBD Fusion allows pretty interfaces to monitor parameters.

Screenshot_20221101-075126.png

I’m probably the odd one out here, but I’d vote no sensor lift at all, which is how I run. If you need lift, AHC high works its magic, but you’re always left with a good mix of up and down travel. Stance or looks are always a consideration for folks though (and not knocking it).

I’m probably the odd one out here, but I’d vote no sensor lift at all, which is how I run. If you need lift, AHC high works its magic, but you’re always left with a good mix of up and down travel. Stance or looks are always a consideration for folks though (and not knocking it).

This is sound AF advice honeslty.
Back when i was green, i though just sensor jacking alone would be solid. But there are many things to mind in order to do it "right".
It wont really hurt anything to sensor lift alone, but you will get geometry gremlins, and a rougher ride.
You will lose damping granularity too, as comfort is more like normal etc, and sport becomes way too firm.
Aligning will be hit or miss as well. My truck would not align right without UCAs. YMMV.

Does look cool though.

When i put my new lift kit in, I'll have an additional .5-1" of lift headroom to play with.
In addition to that, my IronMan UCAs are the only UCAs you should ever put on an LX.
They are one of two (tough dog) that has factory AHC links.
Ironmans was so on point i did not have a single mm of height change after the install.
Plus with the brackets style, its easy for me to add an extension for that additional lift i might do later.

No, and @grinchy is the only person that has addressed spring rate issue. Grinchy is my hero.
And now, I’ll be the first to do this;
View attachment 3175908
View attachment 3175909

Spacer only corrects shock travel limits. With any amount of lift, the springs are still underutilized.

Very impressed with quality from Westcott and very well priced. No BS off road tax.

After install ill be 30mm rear coil preload and whatever the front preload is on the spring collar. 30mm top mount shock travel spacer in the front as well, and im using rubber isolators as well.

Welcome to the club buddy.

As far as wheels and tire i dont want to get into it, but 18s are solid choice. I would not exceed +25 offset though, unless your 34” plus in tire and lifted.
Thanks. so that kit preloads the springs instead of just spacing? Neat.

Is this the kit?

Thanks. so that kit preloads the springs instead of just spacing? Neat.

Is this the kit?

Yes, 10% off. I have spoken to Westcott and it should be drop in. Ill be the first to do it though haha. Dont bite my style just yet!
10% off isn't much, so you may want to wait to make sure the collar fitment is exact after i put mine in.
We measured shock bodies though. It should be.
That is really the bread and butter of the forum, fitment and product reviews. This time im the guinea pig.

As I write my build thread, i will talk at length about everything as best as I can.
Stupidly, Toyota outfits the same front coil driver and passenger. Despite major corner difference in weight (that i have yet to weigh and confirm).

50 lb battery over the axle, brake system, electrical junction, entire steering column, and driver compared to an airbox and empty fender well on the other side.
In the rear, coils are backwards, but some is due to driveline torque. I evened mine out with the stiff side on both.
Will go into detail in my build, but if the westcott 30s are too tall for the rear since im unloaded, i will switch back to dual softs in the rear (original drivers coil).

You have great tastes in vehicle and trailers there. :cool:.

Yes, spring spacers are necessary to compensate for otherwise increased hydraulic pressures with sensor lifts. It won't change the spring rate to @AnyMal s point, but that's not as big of deal as AHC is already progressive rate in nature and will generally respond to higher loads. Airbags in the rear can help if more rate and payload is needed, to get into AHC high for examples, as Airstreams can be pretty tongue heavy.

I would avoid the +18 offset wheels as you are towing heavy. Or even +25. Reason being that when towing heavy, the steering can pull at very high torque outputs or braking. In moutains or passing etc. That can be tiring for long trips. +35 to +50 is what you want for mildly oversized tires.

Watch the weights and I would caution skids, as that may compromise cooling especially towing

Instead of scan gauge, look at OBD Apps. OBD Fusion allows pretty interfaces to monitor parameters.

View attachment 3175930
Thanks. They joked my Dad’s funeral was sponsored by Toyota.

Here’s more of the driveway:
BF53DB87-D7EF-42E2-8DE6-99673BE273C5.jpeg

That’s good to know about backspacing. I’ve never been much concerned before because I used oem FJ cruiser wheels on Bruce so fit was right on.

Most aftermarket wheels I’ve looked at are +25, +18 or even 0. The Fuels the PO put on this are +20 I think.

I know wheels are super subjective but besides rock warriors or heritage wheels, any suggestions on a good +50 wheel? I don’t want to look like a bro-dozer. It’s too bad the 22-23 TRD Pro’s are back to six bolt.

View attachment 3175984

That’s good to know about backspacing. I’ve never been much concerned before because I used oem FJ cruiser wheels on Bruce so fit was right on.

Most aftermarket wheels I’ve looked at are +25, +18 or even 0. The Fuels the PO put on this are +20 I think.

I know wheels are super subjective but besides rock warriors or heritage wheels, any suggestions on a good +50 wheel? I don’t want to look like a bro-dozer. It’s too bad the 22-23 TRD Pro’s are back to six bolt.

NICE SC!

Yes, 10% off. I have spoken to Westcott and it should be drop in. Ill be the first to do it though haha. Dont bite my style just yet!
10% off isn't much, so you may want to wait to make sure the collar fitment is exact after i put mine in.
We measured shock bodies though. It should be.
That is really the bread and butter of the forum, fitment and product reviews. This time im the guinea pig.

As I write my build thread, i will talk at length about everything as best as I can.
Stupidly, Toyota outfits the same front coil driver and passenger. Despite major corner difference in weight (that i have yet to weigh and confirm).

50 lb battery over the axle, brake system, electrical junction, entire steering column, and driver compared to an airbox and empty fender well on the other side.
In the rear, coils are backwards, but some is due to driveline torque. I evened mine out with the stiff side on both.
Will go into detail in my build, but if the westcott 30s are too tall for the rear since im unloaded, i will switch back to dual softs in the rear (original drivers coil).
Right on. In my experience, Toyotas have leaned left since the sixties (though my FJ40 has the least lean of all trucks I’ve had).

View attachment 3175984

18" TRD BBS forged with 1" spacer is the way to go really. I just dont like the look on my year model.

Edit: If you don't want spacers, Alpha Equipt, Method, Evo Corsa, Braid, in order of obscene pricing, and a bunch of others have wheels if you want to drop the coin.

I really, really want the braid wheels. They would look great on my truck.

Last edited:
Right on. In my experience, Toyotas have leaned left since the sixties (though my FJ40 has the least lean of all trucks I’ve had).

Thats because driver and gas tank and probably all the list above are on the same side in japan. I doubt any of the RHD trucks lean.

View attachment 3175984

There's reasons for more aggressive backspacing if perhaps rock crawling, but it's a compromise. It's also stressful to wheel bearings and the steering rack components compounding loads if hauling.

Loving the SC and GX. My parents had both of those and I fondly remember my time with them. Almost manual swapped the SC for a toy project when my dad moved on.

There's reasons for more aggressive backspacing if perhaps rock crawling, but it's a compromise. It's also stressful to wheel bearings and the steering rack components compounding loads if hauling.

Loving the SC and GX. My parents had both of those and I fondly remember my time with them. Almost manual swapped the SC for a toy project when my dad moved on.

The better supra maybe for us leather lovers?

I hear ya. I had a rich neighbor growing up who had a lot of 911s until the sc came out. For 28 years until he died, every time my pop saw an ax he’d elbow me and say, “ya know, John Reese said that was better than any 911 he ever owned.” I don’t believe that’s what the guy really said but it became this thing pop always said.

A year after he died on thanksgiving day, I half-jokingly sent the ad for this SC to my lovely wife who immediately replied “you know you need to get that car, right? For your dad.”

It’s sweet, un modified and super clean. Still has a car phone and first aid kit. I’ve been thinking a lot about a manual swap (w58 or cd009) but just spend a wad of money on Mr. Wayne.

Oh and Icon, I totally forgot. Their wheels are nice on the eyes.
25% off.

1669224490803.png

The better supra maybe for us leather lovers?

Lexus Supra.

Just like the Lexus Land Cruiser. :)

Though I'm torn as my IS300 did ultimately become a Lexus Supra with full 2JZ-GTE and Getrag v161 driveline swap. The W58 out of the IS sitting in my garage was what almost went into my dad's SC when the torque converter died. Bad timing as I was too busy with young kids at the time and he wound up just donating the car. That would have been a fun project.

@TeCKis300

"Im on that other s*** man, im pushing a Lex Land same color as sand" - Big Hawk cir. 2001 - H-Town Rap Legend

@Tex68w Used to bump this in the 470!

View attachment 3175877
View attachment 3175883

-redarc brake controller

That’s it so far.

Those are some of my favorite OEM wheels. They are a good choice on the GX.
Is that a single axle? I thought the 23ft AS was a dual axle? There really are a lot of Airstream owners on here. It is good to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom