What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I moved it from the back of the shop to the "get it done" position and cleaned off all the stuff that was making it a rolling misc drawer of tools and parts. Not sure it's feasible, but the goal is to drive it during the Black Hills Cruiser Classic mid July.

20230325_154046.jpg

20230325_154026.jpg

20230325_153955.jpg

20230325_123246.jpg

20230325_120512.jpg

20230325_120434.jpg

Speculating:
Could be that locally compressing the material makes it stiffer relative to the material on the outside of the bushings and possibly less likely to wallow out if the loads are transferred to the material on the larger diameter (more of it) rather than compressing and elongating the ID. May be a way of taking away local stress risers. Washers could have a load distributing effect as well via compressive forces friction on the contact faces. It also would force the poly out radially towards the shock eye to ensure good firm contact. That would be my guess

I definitely understand what you're saying, but wouldn't a smaller diameter washer do the same thing without having a 'specialty' washer that is cupped?

I definitely understand what you're saying, but wouldn't a smaller diameter washer do the same thing without having a 'specialty' washer that is cupped?
I think in compression the material would want to "spill out" over the edge of a smaller diameter washer and it would create a wear point at that diameter. I would imagine a flare eases that transition

I think in compression the material would want to "spill out" over the edge of a smaller diameter washer and it would create a wear point at that diameter. I would imagine a flare eases that transition

Maybe so. Japanese engineers are pretty sharp. I'll just leave it at that.

That is true. They should cup away from the rubber portion and ride on the center metal spacer. Note in pic through fender washers get installed opposite of being mounted on a bracket.

View attachment 3286534
Hmm... not sure I follow the logic here. Nearly 30 years in the same cruiser, changed the shocks 4 times and always put the cupped side inward. Never noticed any wear or adverse effects so I'm leaving them that way.

Started replacing the rusted section of my trans hump.

- Made a templete
- Cut a piece from the donor hump
- Cut out the rusted piece
- Started shaping the new piece

I will weld in the new piece and and finish the job tomorrow :)

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Hmm... not sure I follow the logic here. Nearly 30 years in the same cruiser, changed the shocks 4 times and always put the cupped side inward. Never noticed any wear or adverse effects so I'm leaving them that way.
You’re lucky to be alive! ;)

Taught 30+ years ago the cupped faces out on horizontal shock bushing to allow a bit of twisting movement in the bushing and relieve the cylinder excess force on it … the twisting of the bushing is always there… it needs to

You don’t want to clamp down on the castle nut and squeeze the piss out of the bushing … it will not be able to then move… it’s a castle nut so it can be tight enough to do its job… but could loosen and therefore a cotter pin prevents it from that

The cup however faces inward on vertical shock bushings as they are under compression… the cup holds the compressed bushing

Imho It’s all very marginal on a DD … on a suspension that is under constant hard stress could break a shock mount or shock it self

My 2c :)

I love these tires! The fj40 came with the tires when I bought it and I bought a spare for it. I have always been a bfg all terrain fan but I would buy these again. They are more mud terrain than all terrain. but not loud like mud terrains can be. I think they are near perfect on these fj40s. Looks like if you are in a snowy area the tires have places for studs. I dont have much snow where I live though. I think they would also look really good on a 80s toyota truck.

I do think they are more like 10 inches wide vrs 9.50s. Ill measure after work to confirm.

The side walls are not my favorite either but its not the worst.

I love it but in a classic way ..... I woke up and it was raining this morning. good thing I put the cover on it last night.
I have noticed these tires are getting a lot of love on mud lately. Sounds like they get good reviews for highway use. My BFG’s are about done, and I see they offer a 35”. Mine is mostly highway driving, but I like to go to southern Utah for wheeling. Has anyone used them in the rocks?

the washers were installed correctly. The upped side goes away from the bushing on eyelet type shocks. On a post style shock like a 60 or 80 front top
mount, the washers go cup side toward bushing. The washers are a different shape on the two styles

Thanks Dave…to me anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Have you tested it at 60 mph? Yuma to PB cabin?
Apparently I tested it at 75 mph. The Speedo doesn't work, my coworker was following me and first thing he said was "man that thing runs pretty good huh?"
I'll make it up that way next trip out Dave. Would love to put a proper grill guard on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom