What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (80 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This week my cruiser and I found a new leak :)

Soon to be fixed… my cruiser may or may not be helpful in the repair

68EA3943-4FFD-4588-BD79-58A74835E2D6.jpeg

I made some switch panels. One for the radio opening and the other for the ashtray. Photos of raw mill and finished powder coat and engraved. The round hole is for the cigarette lighter and the small rectangle is the USB jack for Car Play.

Switch Panels Milled.jpg

Switch Panels Finished.jpg

4 new OEM shocks for the 40. For the life of me, I can't figure out how someone could install all the washers backwards. Also, no castle nuts with cotter pins were used. Therefore, some of the nuts were backed off to the very end of the threads, and some were even gone. Most of the inserts were gone too. The ones that weren't were completely shot. From what I understand, the shocks were last installed by TLC when they were out in California. FWIW, the shocks I removed were Old Man Emu's.

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would come over here.

Installed a new set of relays in my FJ62.

BD7F50B3-B389-47CC-827D-9F1F4655B374.jpeg

4 new OEM shocks for the 40. For the life of me, I can't figure out how someone could install all the washers backwards. Also, no castle nuts with cotter pins were used. Therefore, some of the nuts were backed off to the very end of the threads, and some were even gone. Most of the inserts were gone too. The ones that weren't were completely shot. From what I understand, the shocks were last installed by TLC when they were out in California. FWIW, the shocks I removed were Old Man Emu's.
Nice, love seeing Toyota stamped on new parts!
👍
I'm wondering 2 things, do you have stock length shackles or something longer? I'd like to use oem Toyota shocks too, but my shackles are about 5". Second thing, do you have those oem part numbers handy? Nice work on your 40, a definite improvement! Have a great day!

Nice, love seeing Toyota stamped on new parts!
👍
I'm wondering 2 things, do you have stock length shackles or something longer? I'd like to use oem Toyota shocks too, but my shackles are about 5". Second thing, do you have those oem part numbers handy? Nice work on your 40, a definite improvement! Have a great day!

My shackles are OEM. I can get the part numbers out of the trash for you. Stand by on that.

The Cruiser Outfitters sticker was placed over the top of the Toyota sticker, so that's why it's kind of messed up looking, but I was able to salvage the numbers for you. I got them from Cruiser Outfitters because Toyota had discontinued the rear shocks.

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

And here are the numbers for the inner and outer washers for the shocks...

IMG_2412.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

The Cruiser Outfitters sticker was placed over the top of the Toyota sticker, so that's why it's kind of messed up looking, but I was able to salvage the numbers for you. I got them from Cruiser Outfitters because Toyota had discontinued the rear shocks.
Wow sir! Thank you very much for sharing those! Yeah those are some superseding numbers that I couldn't find in the old Microphish scans, very cool! I'll do some research to see if they will work with extended shackles, I guess it just depends on if they will extend far enough. My current "good enough" cheap yellow shocks were all about getting it going, now I'm experiencing parts envy seeing these gems. :) Have a great day!

Wow sir! Thank you very much for sharing those! Yeah those are some superseding numbers that I couldn't find in the old Microphish scans, very cool! I'll do some research to see if they will work with extended shackles, I guess it just depends on if they will extend far enough. My current "good enough" cheap yellow shocks were all about getting it going, now I'm experiencing parts envy seeing these gems. :) Have a great day!

You're very welcome. I don't know, but just by handling them, I kind of doubt they will work well with those extended shackles. If I didn't go with these OEM shocks, I would go with Bilstein. (although, it seems a little like an abomination to put a German part on a Land Cruiser) Good luck to you!

View attachment 3286182

View attachment 3286183

And here are the numbers for the inner and outer washers for the shocks...

View attachment 3286184

View attachment 3286185

Glad we can be of help :D

Should anyone want to buy shocks, we stock plenty of them. ;)

Glad we can be of help :D

Should anyone want to buy shocks, we stock plenty of them. ;)

You guys had what I wanted, the sales person was helpful, fast shipping, and no drama. What's not to like?

View attachment 3285990

View attachment 3285991

View attachment 3285992

View attachment 3285993
Curious what others say, but I don't think those washers were installed backwards. If I remember the OME instructions, they're supposed to have the cup portion facing away from the grommet.

Curious what others say, but I don't think those washers were installed backwards. If I remember the OME instructions, they're supposed to have the cup portion facing away from the grommet.
That is true. They should cup away from the rubber portion and ride on the center metal spacer. Note in pic through fender washers get installed opposite of being mounted on a bracket.

sb15.png

I'm no engineer, but what purpose could that possibly serve, to have the cupped washer facing the way it is in the bottom of the diagram?

I'm no engineer, but what purpose could that possibly serve, to have the cupped washer facing the way it is in the bottom of the diagram?
I made the same mistake because it appears they have an obvious orientation. But when you install them with the cup facing in, the washers end up cutting into the grommet as things flex around.

I made the same mistake because it appears they have an obvious orientation. But when you install them with the cup facing in, the washers end up cutting into the grommet as things flex around.

Well... I hate to do it, but I guess I'll have to change mine around if I want them to be right.

Speculating:
Could be that locally compressing the material makes it stiffer relative to the material on the outside of the bushings and possibly less likely to wallow out if the loads are transferred to the material on the larger diameter (more of it) rather than compressing and elongating the ID. May be a way of taking away local stress risers. Washers could have a load distributing effect as well via compressive forces friction on the contact faces. It also would force the poly out radially towards the shock eye to ensure good firm contact. That would be my guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom