What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Plasti-dipped the back emblems as the original gold was getting all corroded and looked horrible.

Surprisingly easy and great looking on the white paint.

Ended up doing about 6 coats.

black e.jpg

Did the front wheel bearings yesterday. 230k miles on them(original). They were shot, I was hearing a bit of hum from them. The spindle was perfect except for right up where it starts to turn up into its mounting base, there was a little bit of scoring there. The thrust washer was also scored. I'm glad Cruiser Outfitters kit decided to include a new one. Thanks Kurt. :)

Did the front wheel bearings yesterday. 230k miles on them(original). They were shot, I was hearing a bit of hum from them. The spindle was perfect except for right up where it starts to turn up into its mounting base, there was a little bit of scoring there. The thrust washer was also scored. I'm glad Cruiser Outfitters kit decided to include a new one. Thanks Kurt. :)

Thank you!

I just picked up my new beer keeper!

IMG_20140326_165932213_HDR.jpg

Installed Arb Outback drawer system. Glad I did it but that's going to be a once in a lifetime deal, unless I forget...

Installed the 200 series JDM horns - plug n' play - and sound so much better.

1999-Land-Cruiser-New-Horns.jpg

Last edited:
$100 horn upgrade?

$90 was worth it IMO compared to the stock Corolla horn . . .

After 15 years of service, she needed some love.

;)

Last edited:
Did some base lining since spring start up is around the corner.

Timing belt
Fuel and air filter
Hoses
Cam seals
Toyota super long life Coolant
Water pump
Synthetic Lube oil and filter change
Drain and fill front and rear diff's with synthetic
New a/c compressor, seals, drier, refrigerant

Took some pics of the old timing belt. I have no indication that it has ever been changed, but it looks pristine after 220k.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In the past TWO DAYS I've replaced my tie rods (they were 14yrs old and started to squeak with every bump I went over), replaced the bearings in both rear tires, aligned the front wheels, and changed the oil.:)

I know this has been discussed before but I completely forget the consensus. What is a hand throttle good for if you're not disabled?

Winching, Compressoring (made up word) are the two things I want it for. The range is so fine it's not appropriate for actual driving but I can idle my 100 at 3400 RPM if I want.

Installed new upstream oxygen sensors, new OEM cats (thanks a lot NYS CARB Compliance laws :censor::crybaby::mad:), and a Borla 14814 catback system... perfect balance of volume (for me at least) but with a nice throaty tone! There's no drone at 70 and the only resonance occurs around 1,600-1,800 rpm but it's subtle and not annoying. Drove home to see my family tonight and opened 'er up on the highway and it sounds so much better.

Just changed the rear differential and transfer case oil. I started working on it a couple weeks ago when I did the front, but was having issues getting the plugs off. So I put it off, and ordered a whole new set for both from Beno. The goober that did it last did not bother to put new or even reuse the crush washers, so I had to heat up the suckers and used a cheater to get 'em off, and also used this as an excuse to buy the Craftsman Universal Max Axxess, which I think gave made easier the second time around.

I highly recommend ordering new plugs before doing this.

I know this has been discussed before but I completely forget the consensus. What is a hand throttle good for if you're not disabled?

Also good for heating up water faster in your Helton shower kit, off-road cruise control when delicate throttle is needed crawling and as a back up to keeping the revs higher if you have an electrical issue and the cruiser won't naturally stay at idle and stalls. ( happened a couple times after taking the cruiser swimming). It's also good to assist in burping the coolant after a flush and full.

Wheeled it (hard) at Uwharrie with a gaggle of East Coasters.

Damage:
- Caved passenger corner of rear bumper (slid into bank on red clay)
- "Custom" V-Shaped passenger rear LCA (slid off rock on climb)
- Chunks of tread and sidewall missing from BFG AT's (skinny pedal work due to ATRAC malfunction)

Somehow, I walked away without blowing my front diff in this video:

All-in-all, awesome weekend, and perfect justification for new parts/upgrades!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom