What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a PCV catch can since all the cool kids are doing it. Also prepping to road trip to Grand Junction from LA next week, so need to check bearing preload and put my hood heat vent risers on before driving off across the desert.

View attachment 3096009
View attachment 3096010
I've been looking at a lot of catch can setups, and this looks like a pretty nice one. What did you do for the PCV valve?

I've been looking at a lot of catch can setups, and this looks like a pretty nice one. What did you do for the PCV valve?
PCV stays in and used some decent quality fuel line with cheap hose clamps to hook it all up.

Can seems very high quality. I used a scrap piece of aluminum bar stock to bolt it up using a ground bolt that connects to the intake manifold. I should probably get a longer bolt as well, but may put some low strength loctite on it instead.

Edit: forgot to mention, I swapped out the ports that came with that Mishimoto can to a smaller size that was only slightly larger than the PCV valve. The ones that come with that kit are much too large.

Screenshot_20220825-092944.png

Last edited:
Took the 80 to work.... Everything installed over the last year or so pretty much performed flawless over a couple hundred mile trip. Mostly asphalt but finally hit the dirt going over Hagerman pass on the way back home. The kayak may have hit the water a few times, pending on if it's my boss asking...
A bit surprised I didn't see any cool rigs after going over 6-8 passes with the MW Expo coming up but they were probably out playing last week. Coolest thing I saw was a lifted older Porsche Cayenne on Hagerman. Pretty sure I saw a couple covered up next gen Tacoma's testing their towing but didn't have a chance to stop and spy...
IMG_3924[1].JPG

IMG_3954[1].JPG

PCV stays in and used some decent quality fuel line with cheap hose clamps to hook it all up.

Can seems very high quality. I used a scrap piece of aluminum bar stock to bolt it up using a ground bolt that connects to the intake manifold. I should probably get a longer bolt as well, but may put some low strength loctite on it instead.

View attachment 3096535
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll be interested to see how much oil it captures.

Sweat equity. Degreased, Wire wheeled, ground off the OEM weld spatter on front axle (come on Toyota) then primed and repainted. Looks superb. I'm going to start working my way back from the front, clearing all the surface rust off this thing and repainting the frame, mounts, axles etc...well worth the 4 hours it took.

20220825_154806.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 3096535
That's a lot of money to pay for one. You can get really nice ones for under $50 all day for those that are interested in these and don't want to spend a lot of $$. They are basic and simple.
Amazon product ASIN B087LZHFGC

Used a plastic scraper, towels and a little brake cleaner to remove all the old built up dirt/gunk from the front underbelly & frame, I think in part caked on due to the old (bad) oil leaks that were mostly fixed by the PO. Trans had some nice cake on it - bet it has a few degrees of relief now. Then did another full round of fluid film, this time also using the little wand attachment to get inside the frame. Feeling fortunate to get to maintain a rig without any rust issues. I f*n hate rust with a passion... unless we’re talking live rust, or rust never sleeps.

Should have taken a picture of the pile of crap I removed. Crawled out from under the truck looking like a coal miner.

Last edited:
Finally replaced the PCV valve and grommet, and two fresh hoses up there and no more oil factory smell!! Was about to replace my valve gasket again, but nope. All good now.

Also doing some routine maintenance, and refound this:

View attachment 3095466

Forgot all about this. I found it way back when I filled every hole with LEDs. I Abandoned this one. The blinker housing has a little crack that let water in corroded the bulb into the socket. I’ve long since sealed the crack with some epoxy from the inside.

Bulb still works.

Did a quick search…can you buy just the bulb holder? No need for a new housing.

I have aux led blinkers in the Arb too.
found it
1661560876085.png

Swapped the passenger side axle for a nitro so it matches the driver's. Also checked my work on the driver's side.
20220827_081928.jpg
20220827_092636.jpg

Swapped out the torn and beat rear lower link. I had these ready to swap in. I will work on a printed bushing. I will need a new design that will be able to twist and rotate.
20220827_170223.jpg
20220827_170250.jpg

These torn ones were causing a lot of movement in the rear.

Swapped the passenger side axle for a nitro so it matches the driver's. Also checked my work on the driver's side.
View attachment 3099374View attachment 3099375

Swapped out the torn and beat rear lower link. I had these ready to swap in. I will work on a printed bushing. I will need a new design that will be able to twist and rotate.
View attachment 3099376View attachment 3099377

These torn ones were causing a lot of movement in the rear.

Is that a zirk at the end of the shaft?

Replaced fan clutch with Aisin blue hub unit from Amazon.

I saw 210F this summer and I don’t like that! The fan and unit was sticky with all I can figure silicone fluid so it was time.

Old unit still had resistance but for $80 it’s cheap insurance.

Everything in the cooling system with exception to heater core, water pump and clutch has been already replaced in the last 3000 miles.

🍻

A07CA9D0-2AA4-4E81-9423-859047784FDA.jpeg

B2A0876E-C12D-42E2-BF5A-13F1B36B3D63.jpeg

A41A4F9E-9153-4961-AADF-47F61C821754.jpeg

I replaced my Duracell Group 31 AGM battery with a new X2Power Group31 AGM battery. I've had a Deka group31, the Duracell and now the X2. It's good to be able to compare the different battery options. So far the Duracell didn't perform as well as the Deka and we'll see how this X2 holds up.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom