What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had a list of small, nagging things piling up on the 80 for a while. I didn't get a lot of time but was able to take care of a couple things. I vinyl wrapped the center of my hood/scoop a while back but I wasn't happy with my finish quality. Also, my scoop has been mounted using 3M tape and I wanted to change that. It has worked fine but it gave me a chance to epoxy some studs to the scoop and bolt it to the hood. So freshly mounted scoop and fresh vinyl on the hood and scoop.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I also replaced my OEM "birdfeeder" snorkel head with an aftermarket clone. Looking at the real one side by side with the clone showed that they were virtually identical. The only thing that helped me tell the difference is the aftermarket one has a textured finish (like the texture on the snorkel body) rather than a smooth finish on the OEM one. The reason for the switch was because the aftermarket one fits the snorkel opening of the Safari and Safari clone snorkels. The OEM one has a smaller opening and the top of the snorkel body needs to be modified slightly to fit the OEM head inside the body rather than over the outside. I cut off about 1.5" of the top of the snorkel (the part that had been modified). I actually like the slightly reduced height. It tucks the top down a little a tighter to the body and rack.

The last thing was some good timing on the local classifieds got me a screamin' deal on a hardshell tent. It is the same tent as a number of similar ones on the market. Lightly used and in great shape. I've wanted a low profile hardshell for a while but they have been cost prohibitive for me. This one was actually a very reasonable price. Fits the Prinsu rack well. Just in time for our trip to Glacier NP this next week.

Cruisers everywhere!!!!

20220731_184713.jpg
20220731_173300.jpg

Honestly this is one of those things where I only look at the torque specs to use them as a minimum requirement.

I torque these bolts to spec and than I give them some extra love and try to get at least another 1/4 turn.

I don't think I am strong enough to actually hurt anything by over torquing the caliper bolts.

I have probably done brakes on an 80 series 8 or 9 times and I have never had this problem with my gorilla approach.

As others have said over torque is as bad as under torque. Now turning a bolt an extra face isn't going to hurt anything.

The added loctite is going to give me the piece of mind I need.

If they come out again it was meant to be.

Turned 230,000 last week so it was time for an oil and filter change. Also had this show up Friday courtesy of @landtank so I greased her up and installed it up front… smooth as silk and the decel buzz is gone. Pay no attention to the minitruck steering box in the smallest of pieces, hope to get my TEQ rebuild kit this week and get the 40 rolling again this coming weekend.

E794B912-A64D-4FA2-B7DD-A092E72E5146.jpeg

AD65A2FA-64E0-4E98-B348-D1DBD7FC434E.jpeg

Well some photos are notoriously misleading

There are a lot of sellers basically displaying and selling same item, I did order one (its cheap so I have little faith in its quality but I hope I'm wrong) so will let you know how it is when it arrives.

Alibaba express
Tactical MOLLE Car Seat Back Organizer Nylon Universal Seat Cover Case Vehicle Panel Car Seat Cover Protector 3 Color
I did not know how to tie them together :D the sagging is on me :p

This is a friends Fortuner.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-01 at 2.55.56 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-01 at 2.55.56 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-01 at 2.55.56 PM (1).jpeg

Full day on our local black trail (Mesabi Mountain Trail). About 11 rigs came in but 4 made it to the end. Couple breakages due to some unfortunate driving.

My damage list:
- my tire mount bracket. Bad weld on my end so i made sure it's burned up nice this time with multiple passes, and covered all ends.
- got a big hole on my exhaust, need to patch it
- lower control arm mount is bent
- oh no?!? i got huge gouges on my bumper and sliders :rofl::doh:. I just repainted them!! :D

1659359595937.png

1659359767280.png

1659359816740.png

Buggy line is a bit too much. Got hung up real good, took an hour just to get my buddy out of this situation.

1659359975932.png

Midwest soupy jungle

1659360075885.png

Full day on our local black trail (Mesabi Mountain Trail). About 11 rigs came in but 4 made it to the end. Couple breakages due to some unfortunate driving.

My damage list:
- my tire mount bracket. Bad weld on my end so i made sure it's burned up nice this time with multiple passes, and covered all ends.
- got a big hole on my exhaust, need to patch it
- lower control arm mount is bent
- oh no?!? i got huge gouges on my bumper and sliders :rofl::doh:. I just repainted them!! :D

View attachment 3074827

View attachment 3074832

View attachment 3074836

Buggy line is a bit too much. Got hung up real good, took an hour just to get my buddy out of this situation.

View attachment 3074837

Midwest soupy jungle

View attachment 3074838
That looks like a brutal trip ! Good old 80 :)

Anyone ever have this happen. Shock bolt pulled out of the shock. Wonder if any of you run limiting straps.
20220731_105514.jpg

Anyone ever have this happen. Shock bolt pulled out of the shock. Wonder if any of you run limiting straps.View attachment 3074987
Have any other details on the shocks you're running that happened to?

I haven't really felt the need to run limiting straps on anything other than coilovers.

That looks like a brutal trip ! Good old 80 :)
to be fair, only 2 rigs broke. Suzuki Vitara tore off a diff mount not less than a mile into the trail. Then a CV (4th Gen 4R) driven by a revlimiter bouncer driver. All those behind him helped him swap it out and turned around while 4 of us quite a bit ahead of them finished (in-and-out trail, and we were just halfway going in!).

I feel bad for the breakage but at same i don't care for folks that send it too much and like to break stuff since it inconveniences not just them. Other breakage due to "normal" riding is totally acceptable though.

I've had a list of small, nagging things piling up on the 80 for a while. I didn't get a lot of time but was able to take care of a couple things. I vinyl wrapped the center of my hood/scoop a while back but I wasn't happy with my finish quality. Also, my scoop has been mounted using 3M tape and I wanted to change that. It has worked fine but it gave me a chance to epoxy some studs to the scoop and bolt it to the hood. So freshly mounted scoop and fresh vinyl on the hood and scoop.

I also replaced my OEM "birdfeeder" snorkel head with an aftermarket clone. Looking at the real one side by side with the clone showed that they were virtually identical. The only thing that helped me tell the difference is the aftermarket one has a textured finish (like the texture on the snorkel body) rather than a smooth finish on the OEM one. The reason for the switch was because the aftermarket one fits the snorkel opening of the Safari and Safari clone snorkels. The OEM one has a smaller opening and the top of the snorkel body needs to be modified slightly to fit the OEM head inside the body rather than over the outside. I cut off about 1.5" of the top of the snorkel (the part that had been modified). I actually like the slightly reduced height. It tucks the top down a little a tighter to the body and rack.

The last thing was some good timing on the local classifieds got me a screamin' deal on a hardshell tent. It is the same tent as a number of similar ones on the market. Lightly used and in great shape. I've wanted a low profile hardshell for a while but they have been cost prohibitive for me. This one was actually a very reasonable price. Fits the Prinsu rack well. Just in time for our trip to Glacier NP this next week.

Looks great. I kinda want a scoop on mine now. Enjoy Glacier. Gun Sight lake is an awesome hike if you have the time, nice waterfall along the way too.

Anyone ever have this happen. Shock bolt pulled out of the shock. Wonder if any of you run limiting straps.View attachment 3074987
If the threads actually pulled out, then yes, I think a limit strap might help. If they just unthreaded (I've seen that more often than them actually pulling apart) I don't think a strap would remedy anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom