What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (7 Viewers)

That looks like a brutal trip ! Good old 80 :)
to be fair, only 2 rigs broke. Suzuki Vitara tore off a diff mount not less than a mile into the trail. Then a CV (4th Gen 4R) driven by a revlimiter bouncer driver. All those behind him helped him swap it out and turned around while 4 of us quite a bit ahead of them finished (in-and-out trail, and we were just halfway going in!).

I feel bad for the breakage but at same i don't care for folks that send it too much and like to break stuff since it inconveniences not just them. Other breakage due to "normal" riding is totally acceptable though.

Anyone ever have this happen. Shock bolt pulled out of the shock. Wonder if any of you run limiting straps.View attachment 3074987
Is that like buffers for the springs like the attached pic ?
20220618_163433.jpg

I've had a list of small, nagging things piling up on the 80 for a while. I didn't get a lot of time but was able to take care of a couple things. I vinyl wrapped the center of my hood/scoop a while back but I wasn't happy with my finish quality. Also, my scoop has been mounted using 3M tape and I wanted to change that. It has worked fine but it gave me a chance to epoxy some studs to the scoop and bolt it to the hood. So freshly mounted scoop and fresh vinyl on the hood and scoop.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I also replaced my OEM "birdfeeder" snorkel head with an aftermarket clone. Looking at the real one side by side with the clone showed that they were virtually identical. The only thing that helped me tell the difference is the aftermarket one has a textured finish (like the texture on the snorkel body) rather than a smooth finish on the OEM one. The reason for the switch was because the aftermarket one fits the snorkel opening of the Safari and Safari clone snorkels. The OEM one has a smaller opening and the top of the snorkel body needs to be modified slightly to fit the OEM head inside the body rather than over the outside. I cut off about 1.5" of the top of the snorkel (the part that had been modified). I actually like the slightly reduced height. It tucks the top down a little a tighter to the body and rack.

The last thing was some good timing on the local classifieds got me a screamin' deal on a hardshell tent. It is the same tent as a number of similar ones on the market. Lightly used and in great shape. I've wanted a low profile hardshell for a while but they have been cost prohibitive for me. This one was actually a very reasonable price. Fits the Prinsu rack well. Just in time for our trip to Glacier NP this next week.

Looks great. I kinda want a scoop on mine now. Enjoy Glacier. Gun Sight lake is an awesome hike if you have the time, nice waterfall along the way too.

bryson

I do stuff.
SILVER Star
Anyone ever have this happen. Shock bolt pulled out of the shock. Wonder if any of you run limiting straps.View attachment 3074987
If the threads actually pulled out, then yes, I think a limit strap might help. If they just unthreaded (I've seen that more often than them actually pulling apart) I don't think a strap would remedy anything.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
What size lift are you running? And really it made a big difference? I have the Dobinson's 2" lift but haven't changed these out. It rides fine though.
2". Not a big difference but the bushings were so gone that it was like no sway bar for a bit of lean in a corner before it would catch. Consistent now and it can't hurt that the bar is closer to its correct position.

on the rocks

SILVER Star
As others have said over torque is as bad as under torque. Now turning a bolt an extra face isn't going to hurt anything.

The added loctite is going to give me the piece of mind I need.

If they come out again it was meant to be.
I think the passenger Caliper backing out is a little more common than you may think. Its an awkward angle to get the bolt in and little to no one replaces the bolts when they service the calipers likely not helping either. I cross threaded mine when I first got it 20+ years ago and got it to work and moved on to only have the bolt back out 2000 miles from home. It was a hell of a noise and it stopped immediately. Can't believe yours destroyed the wheel like it did tho. I had a little damage but it was slow speed.
I went heli coil with a slightly larger bolt but just replaced it right when upgrading the brakes and did a full used knuckle replacement.
You can always jump on the " I love big brakes and can not lie" post and go slip rotors and not have to touch the rotor bolts for some time. So much easier to deal with the brakes and you get a bonus brake upgrade from it as well....

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
... little to no one replaces the bolts when they service the calipers ...
I replaced mine, but I'm also anal retentive 🥳

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of us on the forum are a little retentive, or we wouldn't be here 😂

Went out for an evening ride.

20220802_195059.jpg
20220802_190848.jpg

20220802_195740.jpg

Last edited:

Azca

If there is a harder way - I will find it...
Going a little fast in the last picture or - you are teaching the 80 to levitate...

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the sharp drop off in the sand. I am still trying to figure out how I managed to get both tires air born going down off a bump 🤷‍♂️

The little disturbance in-between the tire tracks is where my winch hook hit the sand lol.....my neck hurts today 🤣

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the sharp drop off in the sand. I am still trying to figure out how I managed to get both tires air born going down off a bump 🤷‍♂️

The little disturbance in-between the tire tracks is where my winch hook hit the sand lol.....my neck hurts today 🤣
You came off there pretty good.

Your winch hook buried in the sand and all the load was on the front axle. Then, as you moved forward, the front suspension rebounded and launched the front back off the ground, as the rear tires came down. You can see where the rear tires left the ground as the front tires buried, then the whole truck hopped as your suspension did its job and bounced you off the ground again.

Lay a stick to your front tires and your winch hook, then look at how much angle your truck was when it dug in the hook.

BTDT with an old 68 Chevy K2500 jumping terraces. We dug in a tire carrier on the front that only stuck out 12". It dug a 6" trench. We were damn lucky we didn't stand it on end or flop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom