What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (83 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't been under it in good knows how long.

This was clearly my fault. But for God sakes I've been driving 30iah years and have never had something like this happen. Especially considering I did the brakes almost 20,000 miles ago
New Caliper bolts or did you reuse the old ones?

Lancruiser Profile Pic 4-2.jpg

Took the 'ole pup out for a cruise tonight.

Like every car I've worked on my adult life I re-used them. But I didn't add any loctite. I'll remedy that tomorrow.
Sure you aren’t the only and likely happens in shops that way many times per day on various vehicles.

Seems there is plenty of discussion of both using new each time or cleaning, loctiting, correctly torquing, and reusing the old on almost every car enthusiast forum.

On my 80 that gets extensive trail use I try and use a lot of new hardware on the critical stuff, either what T recommends or they are just gummed up.

Last edited:
@Hzj85 thats what we all need, a pit crew!

@Dusten we stopped and helped an 80 guy after cruise moab who had the same issue.

Wife said it had been making a noise for weeks.. :alien:

Based on the wheel in don't think it made noise very long.

In these two images you can see the caliper ground a bit and then dug in and smashed the rim. It was such a quick death because the bottom came off.

20220731_072622.jpg
20220731_072628.jpg

I had a few bolts in my bolt bin that worked perfect. I replaced the lower with an oem bolt. Loctite and torqued to 90 ft/lbs.

the upper was finger tight. So I pulled it, loctite and torqued.

when I get a wheel Monday or Tuesday I'll pull it in the garage and go over everything with a fine tooth comb I guess.

I didn't hear anything. I was driving down the highway at 55-60 and slowed to turn left. Right as it stopped it let go.

35's a diesel and driving with my windows down likely masked any noise.
At least it didn't let go at 60mph on the highway. Holy s*** dude, you seriously have the worst luck. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

At least it didn't let go at 60mph on the highway. Holy s*** dude, you seriously have the worst luck. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

That's all I can keep thinking is at least it didn't happen up in the mountains or with my kids or on i5.

This wasn't luck. It was my fault to some degree. I've done brakes on this.

That's all I can keep thinking is at least it didn't happen up in the mountains or with my kids or on i5.

This wasn't luck. It was my fault to some degree. I've done brakes on this.
Probably not your brake job that was the root cause ... probably the 19 brake jobs before you owned the truck.

I had to helicoil one of the threads for my front calipers because I couldn't reach torque (felt like a previous cross-thread, which would be in line with some of the other shoddy stuff I found on the front end). Your story will definitely have me checking torque on the caliper bolts next time I'm under the truck.

I had a few bolts in my bolt bin that worked perfect. I replaced the lower with an oem bolt. Loctite and torqued to 90 ft/lbs.

Honestly this is one of those things where I only look at the torque specs to use them as a minimum requirement.

I torque these bolts to spec and than I give them some extra love and try to get at least another 1/4 turn.

I don't think I am strong enough to actually hurt anything by over torquing the caliper bolts.

I have probably done brakes on an 80 series 8 or 9 times and I have never had this problem with my gorilla approach.

Discovered why it handled like a wet noodle on way home last weekend. Not any real “wheeling” either. Second time I’ve had one come out but now have a broken bolt to deal with as well :/

F0F8C806-03FA-4B97-96E9-37596F11B0D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom