Builds 1982 Wyoming FJ40 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up another project that I'm not ready for but couldn't resist. This one spent its life since new in the Tetons exploring local mountains and fishing holes. The owner apparently did not hesitate driving it to the ski hill in the winter either - Low miles but it needs a new back half tub. Runs and drives great. The dash is amazingly clean and original, under the hood appears to be very original with all the smogs. 12 degrees this morning and it started right up first crank. It needs some TLC. Seems like it should stay close to where it grew up so I brought it home.

IMG_3999.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Last edited:
That's a beauty, nice save. Love the color and the stripes. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it around as is and enjoy it awhile before embarking on a tub replacement. That one is pristine compared to the rusty, diamond plated 40's I drove and loved back in Michigan when I was young.

I’ve been following their progress since they opened in California and they appear to be a stand behind their product company. Their bodies and panels look way better than the South American stuff. To answer your first question, no I haven’t bought anything from them yet.

The PO for my 82 did the same swap with an Aqualu tub, but unfortunately used an earlier model year and was forced to switch the ambulance doors as well, because the lower corners were square and not rounded like the stock 82 doors. My only advice would be to make sure the manufacturer you use has one for your specific year.

The PO for my 82 did the same swap with an Aqualu tub, but unfortunately used an earlier model year and was forced to switch the ambulance doors as well, because the lower corners were square and not rounded like the stock 82 doors. My only advice would be to make sure the manufacturer you use has one for your specific year.
Aqualu does make a +79 tub. Did your PO pick the tub up on the used/other market??

Anyone have some recommendations on a quality 1/2 tub? Having just done a ton of patching on another 40, I'm thinking that maybe I just need to bite the bullet and replace the whole back half.

We’re doing a full Aq tub, cowl, windshield, fenders aprons swap on a 76. Nice piece(s) of kit. If your not concerned about “authenticity”.

I have an 82 tub and frame. It's not from the rust belt but rust appears to be cause from ocean beach use. I would be all over using a complete tub from tpautoparts.com if their front tunnel was like the 10/82+. Instead they seem to have the 10/82+ dash on LHD. They also have the drain holes for the non heater in the tunnel cover. More H55F being install than insert dash. Can't buy the insert dash anymore but H55Fs are still available. In your case would check the front floor section carefully. Easier dealing with the A pillar versus B pillar. Only thing I would research is the fit of the OEM hard top on their tubs. So far they seem better that South America tubs that OEM hard tops didn't fit.

I have an 82 tub and frame. It's not from the rust belt but rust appears to be cause from ocean beach use. I would be all over using a complete tub from tpautoparts.com if their front tunnel was like the 10/82+. Instead they seem to have the 10/82+ dash on LHD. They also have the drain holes for the non heater in the tunnel cover. More H55F being install than insert dash. Can't buy the insert dash anymore but H55Fs are still available. In your case would check the front floor section carefully. Easier dealing with the A pillar versus B pillar. Only thing I would research is the fit of the OEM hard top on their tubs. So far they seem better that South America tubs that OEM hard tops didn't fit.

I am considering using one of their 45 cabs for a project, and just cutting the dash off it and welding on their earlier dash panel they sell.

In the case of @residualboulders maybe he could just do a 1/2 tub or 3/4 tub from them.

Thanks for the input. I was just cleaning the truck out this morning. The front floor is in great shape other than under driver feet. I patched that in my 1979 with a panel from Real Steel. It was a terrible fit, but I was able to cut in half, re-fabricate and make it look original. I think I may go that route again and just replace the back half of the tub. I just did a lot of patch work in my 1979 and this one is in worse condition to start with. I think I'd have so much more labor fixing this one. Finding a tub seems like a better solution. I'll be looking into these few options.

I had a spare set of refurbished OEM seats so I dropped those in this morning. The originals need new foam and were covered in greasy dog hair.
IMG_4005.jpg

Dash is very clean. There is one little crack in the pad on the back of the passenger side. Wiper Switch is broken so I've got a new one on order from City Racer.
IMG_4006.jpg

Cleaned up the the engine bay a little. Not sure why the radiator top is damaged.
IMG_4004 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I am considering using one of their 45 cabs for a project, and just cutting the dash off it and welding on their earlier dash panel they sell.

In the case of @residualboulders maybe he could just do a 1/2 tub or 3/4 tub from them.

One thing I didn't understand about tpautoparts is the 1/79+ tub is one Toyota never made. The 10/81-10/82 RHD had the insert and not the tunnel cover designed for the H55F to fit. Too bad they did use the early dash with the later transmission tunnel.

If they made a 45 tub for the 10/82+ would seriously consider it. Years ago I collected few 78 cowls. One of the has damage on the lower right side. The dash is perfect. Uncut radio opening and side defrost holes. Original paint, rust free and was headeded to scrap if I didn't take it. That dash on a late 45 tub would allow the late fuel tank and late 45 bench seat. Would save a bunch of work.

Thanks for the input. I was just cleaning the truck out this morning. The front floor is in great shape other than under driver feet. I patched that in my 1979 with a panel from Real Steel. It was a terrible fit, but I was able to cut in half, re-fabricate and make it look original. I think I may go that route again and just replace the back half of the tub. I just did a lot of patch work in my 1979 and this one is in worse condition to start with. I think I'd have so much more labor fixing this one. Finding a tub seems like a better solution. I'll be looking into these few options.

I had a spare set of refurbished OEM seats so I dropped those in this morning. The originals need new foam and were covered in greasy dog hair.
View attachment 3490267

Dash is very clean. There is one little crack in the pad on the back of the passenger side. Wiper Switch is broken so I've got a new one on order from City Racer.
View attachment 3490268

Cleaned up the the engine bay a little. Not sure why the radiator top is damaged, I'll have to replace that at some point.
View attachment 3490270

I remember your 79. I have priced tpautoparts lately. Difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton might be worth to save the extra work. Looks like nice 82 to restore if you can keep it from rusting in the future.

I remember your 79. I have priced tpautoparts lately. Difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton might be worth to save the extra work. Looks like nice 82 to restore if you can keep it from rusting in the future.
Yeah, maybe worth it. I've emailed them asking for specs on the late model tub. For some reason they do not have it on their website.

I probably should have finished my 79 before picking this one up. Sometimes you have to grab it while you can.

Love the color and stripes as well. Nice find!

I’ve been looking at rear tubs as well for my 1980 (built late 79). Interested in what you hear from them. They didn’t have it on their website, so I assumed they didn’t make it.

Love the color and stripes as well. Nice find!

I’ve been looking at rear tubs as well for my 1980 (built late 79). Interested in what you hear from them. They didn’t have it on their website, so I assumed they didn’t make it.
I emailed them for info. They told me it could be ordered for that model year but have yet to send me pricing and specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom