What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (97 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spent the night in Mission Viejo. Then headed north. Saw a cool 40 at a gas station. Guy said it hasn’t moved in 12 years. I made an instant buy it now offer and he said he’d think about it..,

4EA8DD11-A193-4831-AA16-5157582E8493.jpeg

2AEFD536-565D-47DB-9ED6-A00803E103DF.jpeg

We stayed in one of those little red cabins you may have seen at Jacob lake for three nights while we toured the very nice north rim area. I contemplated Toroweep but we were on a schedule and the Mojave road was next on my list. I did go out to Sublime Point during one day at the north rim. It’s 25 miles out at the end of a rough road so very few people go there. We sat there all day at the edge of the canyon enjoying the view unbothered. The HooDoo’s at Bryce were very interesting as well. Cool pics.....

Used the useless cubby pine block radio mic mount. Perfect function, just not suitable aesthetics. Spent 10 minutes with a saw and a 2x4 scrap. Now to pull it back out for some sanding, stain, and another magnet. Works equally well with the phone and the dual mount will be for mic and nav when out.

We stayed in one of those little red cabins you may have seen at Jacob lake for three nights while we toured the very nice north rim area. I contemplated Toroweep but we were on a schedule and the Mojave road was next on my list. I did go out to Sublime Point during one day at the north rim. It’s 25 miles out at the end of a rough road so very few people go there. We sat there all day at the edge of the canyon enjoying the view unbothered. The HooDoo’s at Bryce were very interesting as well. Cool pics.....
I wanted to go with the cabins but the boys wanted the tent so we went with the tent.

Spent the night in Mission Viejo. Then headed north. Saw a cool 40 at a gas station. Guy said it hasn’t moved in 12 years. I made an instant buy it now offer and he said he’d think about it..,

View attachment 2012358

View attachment 2012359

Right off the I-5 and 119..... yep that ones been there forever but i've never stopped and asked about it.

Last edited:
Finally did this mod. Right now less than $20 at The Container Store. Super stoked to have this. I love organization and trying to buck the trends and go as minimal as possible.

View attachment 2012382
Is it the 18" x 48" rack? And is it just zipped tied up to the handles? I'm been considering doing the same to hold simple stuff when we have the dogs filling up the back.

Is it the 18" x 48" rack? And is it just zipped tied up to the handles? I'm been considering doing the same to hold simple stuff when we have the dogs filling up the back.
Yeah...18" x 48" and with zip ties. Some say better to use hose clamps but do how you want. With 6 zip ties on each end it sure is solid. You should do it...you will love it. Either way if you are using zip ties or clamps first put them on loosely, one on each side, so you can make sure it's centered and leveled. Then tighten them up evenly.

Used the useless cubby pine block radio mic mount. Perfect function, just not suitable aesthetics. Spent 10 minutes with a saw and a 2x4 scrap. Now to pull it back out for some sanding, stain, and another magnet. Works equally well with the phone and the dual mount will be for mic and nav when out.
View attachment 2012439View attachment 2012438
Nice> these magnet holders are awesome and look clean. They can be used for pretty much anything when you put the circular steel plate on any device. Nice, simple function you got there.

Yeah...18" x 48" and with zip ties. Some say better to use hose clamps but do how you want. With 6 zip ties on each end it sure is solid. You should do it...you will love it. Either way if you are using zip ties or clamps first put them on loosely, one on each side, so you can make sure it's centered and leveled. Then tighten them up evenly.

Nice use of the shelf ! Ive not seen one of these installations in person so question is can the third row seat still be used - sorta- or is head room too low TIA

I used 4 hose clamps because I didn't trust zip ties. It was a pain getting it in place by myself but I just used a ratchet strap to hold it in place while I fitted the hose clamps. It's super solid but I just keep light stuff up there like towels and straps and stuff like that.

Nice use of the shelf ! Ive not seen one of these installations in person so question is can the third row seat still be used - sorta- or is head room too low TIA

I haven't put my 3rd row in with the shelf but I doubt there's enough headroom for both.

I used 4 hose clamps because I didn't trust zip ties. It was a pain getting it in place by myself but I just used a ratchet strap to hold it in place while I fitted the hose clamps. It's super solid but I just keep light stuff up there like towels and straps and stuff like that.

I haven't put my 3rd row in with the shelf but I doubt there's enough headroom for both.
Ya that tappears to be from your photo Thanks !

It is the headroom of the 3rd row seats that allows the rack to be used actually. So using the 3rd row seats with this mod would still work but you would lose headroom.

I finally went and bought the Sequoia/Tundra wheels from @FastCarGuy Bob is a great guy and has a great looking rig. Now onto finding the proper lugs, wheel spacers, and save up for those 37x12.5x17 KM3.

View attachment 2010072
I ran 1.5" spacers for 35's, but with 37's you'll want to run 1" or 1.25" MAX unless you're willing to cut into your fenders? If you're interested I do have the 1.5" spidertrax spacers which gives those wheels an awesome stance!

Went to Oakhurst California to visit Yosemite. I met up with a great person from the forum. Adam, @malteserunner. He offered to take me and the family on a trail ride. We started this morning with a breakfast at the Forks restaurant. Then we went up to shuteye summit. It was an incredible ride. A little more technical than what I am used to on the East Coast. Carolina mountains and north Georgia don’t come close to what we experienced today. Adams boys had a great time with my boys, and my wife enjoyed the beautiful views and the scenery.

At the end of the day I stand amazed at many of the people that make up this form. Incredible people with great hospitality who are eager to jump in and enjoy a great day off roading with strangers.

Thanks again @malteserunner

FE44065D-40F7-4B38-9D69-4B916C9D0BAD.jpeg

969C4457-2178-4EAE-99B1-D4903643E9D2.jpeg

9B4DD804-A3A9-4CAF-8601-1753FF6AE782.jpeg

84C64A3E-CAE2-43B6-A6C5-0585FF6A66F6.jpeg

Last edited:
I ran 1.5" spacers for 35's, but with 37's you'll want to run 1" or 1.25" MAX unless you're willing to cut into your fenders? If you're interested I do have the 1.5" spidertrax spacers which gives those wheels an awesome stance!

I would be interested but too wide, I want 1" or 1.25".

View attachment 2012439View attachment 2012438
Should vinyl wrap it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom