What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (90 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got really paranoid after a continuous very slow loss of coolant. Thought i screwed up the rebuild somehow.
Nope. When installing the sliders somehow put a tiny cut in the rear heater hose by the frame.
Spent 3 hours wresting a new hose in above the slider, cats and heat shield. 1/10. Worse than the PHH by far.

Then went out and drove a bit of the WABDR. Realized how destroyed my stock suspension is.
Now to lift/35s...

Sunday finally installed my seat extensions. I don't like the higher seat at the front, but the added room is nice being 6'6".
Install is easy if you think it through. The PDF instructions are a C- at best, lots of missing steps. I'd recommend reading a few threads of RTH/uh ohs of people doing the install before you attempt it.

Last edited:
After picking up my first 80 I pealed off the old, purple DIY tint, rhinolined the tail light guards as well as the rusted brush guard. Adjusted the throttle cable to get rid of the 2nd-3rd gear surge and she shifts nicely now. This forum is a gem of great info. Glad to be part of the club!

IMG_6659.jpg

Lost a fight with an old deer fence after clearing an access trail around a friends property. Guess the snorkels aren't indestructible after all. Nice crease in the quarter panel too from the door catching it when my passenger got out.
20190624_080426[1].jpg

I will be in the Yosemite area today and tomorrow. Just curious, does anybody know any good off-road trails that are available in that area?

I will be in the Yosemite area today and tomorrow. Just curious, does anybody know any good off-road trails that are available in that area?
Pick up a Stanislaus national forest map at the ranger station in Groveland then go for it!

Ask them about the Old Yosemite Road.

Last edited:
Spent the last 4 days taking 31 members of our Boy Scout Troop on a 45 mile canoe/kayak paddle down the headwaters of the Delaware River from Callicoon, NY to Matamoras, PA. The LX did duty pulling canoes or the gear trailer and didn't miss a beat.

My base camp 👍

1.jpg

Bridge over Skinners Falls

2.jpg

Using a solar powered Reverse Osmosis water purifier, we made over 600 gallons of potable water over the 4 days using the muddy Delaware River as source water. One of the perks of working for a solar company 🙂.

4.jpg

One highlight of the trip was the Scoutmaster (who is SO proud of his F-350) getting his truck stuck in a soft muddy field and me pulling him out with the 80. In his defense, his truck only has street tires, and it was an easy tug, but hearing the Scouts say to him the rest of the trip "I can't believe you got pulled out by a Lexus" was priceless :rofl:.

5.jpg

Tons of trails around Yosemite. Niagara Rim, if you're on the Hwy 120 side. Shuteye, Chepo, Star Lakes, if you're on the Hwy 41 side.

Are you serious about the Jeep guy doing donuts and driving out the edge at Toroweap!??! After chewing him out myself, I'd have made sure to take photos of him and his jeep and let the rangers at the Station know all about it. What a dick.
Yes. Serious. I reported it.

Conquered the seat bracket extension. Im loving the leg room. No beers involved, amazing.

295D1AD0-1A01-473F-9A39-F6FED1B56C2C.jpeg

We were going to take an easy run up at Big Bear, but plans changed, so I did the CDL Switch install - thanks for all the great tips, guys. In the afternoon I measured the tailgate for installation of marine hatches.

I don't have the Toyota alarm on here anymore, so I just removed the wires, and reconnected it behind the faceplate, so it would be out of the way, but could always replace it if I wanted.

The connector was exactly where everyone said it was supposed to be and it looked exactly like everyone says

The connector had the tab that had to be cut, just like everyone says

And I used a hazard switch I got from @Deathvalleypaul - I just removed the hazard symbol for now.

I think it took me a total of 30 minutes. As soon as I can figure out what is going on in my side panel, I will do the Pin 7 Mod. There is an aftermarket alarm that went to a kill switch up there and its a little sloppy to say the least.

Lost a fight with an old deer fence after clearing an access trail around a friends property. Guess the snorkels aren't indestructible after all. Nice crease in the quarter panel too from the door catching it when my passenger got out.
View attachment 2011635

I also broke a snorkel. It does make a loud sound when it breaks. I was driving under some low hanging tree branches and the snorkel hooked the branch of a live oak tree. Lifted my truck up several inches before the snorkel finally gave out and broke. Luckily, it only broke the top part of the snorkel and I had no body damage.

After picking up my first 80 I pealed off the old, purple DIY tint, rhinolined the tail light guards as well as the rusted brush guard. Adjusted the throttle cable to get rid of the 2nd-3rd gear surge and she shifts nicely now. This forum is a gem of great info. Glad to be part of the club!

View attachment 2011630
The only way those things will guard against brush is by keeping you from going anywhere near said brush. This is because you will be so afraid of bending them into your lights and sheet metal thus causing more damage to your rig then the brush would have in the first place. Hence the reason they have been aptly nicknamed damage multipliers. Congrats on the new cruiser.

This happened this afternoon...
20190624_173812.jpg

20190624_174325.jpg

Bowfin Cruisers included ample dust collector filter media! Bonus!

20190624_205233.jpg

Ran out of light to do the wiring. Plus dinner is ready... I may redo the cheesy OZ-USA light bar mounting brackets. Special thanks to Awesome Wife for helping to get her side of the rack on. And bringing me beer. And making dinner. And approving purchases...

Washing the 80 and my boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom