What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (63 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Aloha Jen this is what I was referring to.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450036995.532711.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450037082.604553.jpg

I just pumped in about 80 pumps on the grease gun, since it isn't liquid you can't really measure it. It will slowly work its way out through the backside over time anyways, if you put too much, it will just ooze out a little faster.

My local Pep Boys only carries this variety of grease. Only one of them is Moly-fortified.
I need to check out Walmart soon.

2015-12-13 10.38.20.jpg
2015-12-13 10.38.26.jpg
2015-12-13 10.38.34.jpg
2015-12-13 10.39.43.jpg

Toyota SST (Special Service Tool) You will need to go to your dealer parts counter and ask them for one. They will probably have to order it from Japan, 8-10 weeks on a freighter across the Pacific.

What do you use to get the square bolt out? A crescent wrench?

What do you use to get the square bolt out? A crescent wrench?

12-pt socket works perfectly. 10mm or 12mm, can't remember which.

13 mm open ended wrench.

@Aloha Jen You kind of get the hang of how much is enough after you've done 15-20 times. :) Better too much than not enough.

And ignore @retrofive he's grumpy. All of the time.

@Dragos80 get the Valvoline with moly. It's fine. It's what I have been using as long as I can remember.

Are you filling it from being emptied? If just topping off, How do you know when it's the right amount in there?

Jen, no one has mentioned it yet, but you mentioned your diff fluid as being "nasty" when you drained it. Did you, by chance, check the diff level before you drained? If so, when you checked the level, did a large amount of icky, smelly crap come out of the check hole?

If so, you may have bad diff breathers, or worse, bad birf seals.

What I would do is to extend your diff breathers first, and then check the level after driving it awhile. If excess and stinky fluid comes out of your diff level hole after that, you have bad seals.... :(

Jen, no one has mentioned it yet, but you mentioned your diff fluid as being "nasty" when you drained it. Did you, by chance, check the diff level before you drained? If so, when you checked the level, did a large amount of icky, smelly crap come out of the check hole?

What I would do is to extend your diff breathers first, and then check the level after driving it awhile. If excess and stinky fluid comes out of your diff level hole after that, you have bad seals.... :(

It's never good when stinky fluid comes out your hole...

@Aloha Jen if your diff fluid was mostly the consistency of the goop on the end of your drain plug your seals are probably bad. Often referred to as birf soup. This also can be identified by fluid dripping out by the knuckles rather than a thick grease around the felt wipers.

Well I extended my diff breathers front and rear last month. I unscrewed the check plug first, and the fluid level was just below the opening, not to nasty up there still kinda golden in color. The goopy stuff came out just as the drain plug came out.

@Aloha Jen if your diff fluid was mostly the consistency of the goop on the end of your drain plug your seals are probably bad. Often referred to as birf soup. This also can be identified by fluid dripping out by the knuckles rather than a thick grease around the felt wipers.
No, just at the very beginning of the drain, then it was pretty normal consistency. And no fluid at all around the knuckles, in fact it looks really dry.....sort of what inspired me to put in more moly grease in, so I think the seals are good for now.

A lot! Replaced the drive belts and installed a new radiator. Transferred my RTT from the FJ Cruiser (should be sold on Tuesday) to the 80. CDL (hazard) switch installed along with Scan Gauge II. I'm tired!

I went wheeling at Southington Off Road in NE Ohio and ran into one of the guys on here with a sick orange fj40 (something...donkey was his screen name?). It turned out to be a rough trip for the 80 after being slammed and drowned in every possible manner.

The Damage:
mother nature insisting on the rig being de-flared
bumper skid plate mangled
Park light busted out
hood and fender dented
and a toasted fan clutch.

Oh well. That's the risk and these are all excuses to upgrade and build it better!

2FAC323B-A561-48DD-9F9A-210AABD8FEAB_zpseoxteoel.jpg

C0E4055E-2196-47EB-9D28-976E869092EF_zpsa360odcf.jpg

7A10DD9B-70BC-466E-9890-3ACE8EBD5B5E_zpsw9ycojlb.jpg

69E735E3-C10A-4223-8DFB-A3A00F9A14BE_zpsvesmejql.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom