Chewbacca's Birfield Grease Guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Chewbacca's Birfield Grease List

UPDATE 2023: Some new greases added. I will check to see if anything in the list is unavailable.

Okay... so there are some scattered posts on which greases are appropriate for the Birfield joints on the 80 series Cruisers, so here is a list of some greases I have found that seem to meet the criteria from the 80 series service manual. I noticed that finding grease that meets the criteria described in the manuals can sometimes be difficult, I am attempting to consolodate the list of greases that meet the criteria to one post in order to make it easier to track down the right stuff quickly.

The manual says a few things:

Grease should be NLGI #2
(This is basically what temperature range the grease is designed for)

Grease should have a Lithium thickener
(there are other thickeners out there, but the factory service manual specifies Lithium)

Molybdenum Disulphide additive
(I haven't found any mention of minimum concentration percentage (yet) in my 1993 manual but many 'Mud members mention 2% minimum)

Please let me know if I have missed anything important here. I will post some links to products that I have located online. Please note that as manufacturers change their websites, these links may no longer work.

UPDATED LIST 2023:

This is a new one for 2023:
TRIAX GUARDIAN HD 2 - Heavy Duty Moly Grease

Also new for the list:
HUSKEY™ HTS-2 MOLY GREASE

AeroShell Grease 64 5% Moly

Mag 1 733 Grey EP Moly Lithium Grease

Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease

Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease

Sta-Lube SL3330 Moly-Graph Extreme Pressure Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease

Delo Heavy Duty EP 3% 2

CRC SL3146 Moly-Graph Extreme Pressure Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease - 7 lbs.

Mobil 13.7 oz. Cartridge Extreme Pressure Automotive Grease

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Grease with Moly, 14

Jet-Lube 33050 #202 Moly-Lith Grease

Amsoil has my favorite grease, although it uses a calcium thickener.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-polymeric-off-road-grease-nlgi-2-gpor2/

I hope this list comes in handy!
grease rating chart.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hmmm, I must be ignorant or something, because I use any old grease that happens to be in the grease gun. So far it's been OK. Have I been lucky? If so, then it's the first time. Ned

hmm wonder if greengrease fits the bill

I really like the Amsoil 5% moly synthetic. I'm sure it would be an excellent solution, I will add it to the list.

dont forget "moly graph" grease, its what i'm using and its cheap

I like the 3% moly Valvoline Palladium. NAPA carries it (some do anyways). Caterpillar dealers should have it as well.

hmm wonder if greengrease fits the bill

I got on their website to find a spec sheet for their product and they don't have one. The website says that the grease is synthetic but then says that the base type is a "mixed complex". Without an actual spec sheet for this grease, we really have no idea what is in there. There is also no mention of molybdenum additive, so if you really want to go by the book, I think it might be better to find something else. :)

Heres their description page for the "greengrease":

http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/GreenGease.pdf

Last edited:
can't you just use any grease labelled 'cv grease?'

The Toyota repair manual for 80 series cruisers specifically states that the grease have molybdenum additive and a lithium thickener. See picture from manual:
manual.jpg

The Toyota repair manual for 80 series cruisers specifically states that the grease have molybdenum additive and a lithium thickener. See picture from manual:

I know the picture shows that you have to use your hand but some recommend using a spatula--if we're going by the book. . .

I know the picture shows that you have to use your hand but some recommend using a spatula--if we're going by the book. . .

I guess that depends on who's book you're following :) I have been thinking about using a caulk gun to put it in there :hillbilly:

can't you just use any grease labelled 'cv grease?'

you could probably fill it with anything short of gear oil and be ok*

*I do not condone or recommend this, moly grease is not that expensive or hard to find

Picked up the John Deere grease and its only $3 a tube.

I've been using Valvoline's Special Moly EP (Extreme Pressure; P/N 504974; 400 g cartridge) just because it's the only one that I can find locally that is moly fortified. Normally when I ask for moly grease they have no idea about what I'm talking about.
On the cartridge it says; "This NLGI #2 lithium grease contains molybdenum disulfide and polyethylene"? On one internet site it states that it provides lubrication down to -10F (not good for where I live). Maybe time to call 1-800 Team Val.

Buy Cheap Valvoline VV632 Moly Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease ( for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Vehicles), Single Pack for $3.58

I've been using Valvoline's Special Moly EP (Extreme Pressure; P/N 504974; 400 g cartridge) just because it's the only one that I can find locally that is moly fortified. Normally when I ask for moly grease they have no idea about what I'm talking about.
On the cartridge it says; "This NLGI #2 lithium grease contains molybdenum disulfide and polyethylene"? On one internet site it states that it provides lubrication down to -10F (not good for where I live). Maybe time to call 1-800 Team Val.

Buy Cheap Valvoline VV632 Moly Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease ( for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Vehicles), Single Pack for $3.58

I have seen this around and this looks ok, I will add this to the list. I wish Valvoline would specify the moly % though. Valvoline also does not have a spec sheet on their website for this product.

Last edited:
As an update to all this, I have decided to go with the synthetic 5% moly grease that Amsoil offers. It has a calcium thickener, but I am sure it will do the job just fine. I am going to do a Birf overhaul soon and I will post an update if I run into any problems with the grease.

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease - NLGI #2

When i did my front axle rebuild i used Shell SRS 2000 5% Moly Winter Grease. http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-30.pdf It was easy to find locally and relatively cheap, $55 for 10 tubes delivered to my door within 1 hour. To bad it is only Semi-synthetic. I wanted full synthetic grease but could not find anything locally. And didn't want to pay 90+ shipping for Amsoil. Also shell is very often used in heavy and industrial equipment. However, I have never heard of Amsoil used, at least locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom