Vehicle Security: Master Thread (Index Thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to create a one-stop link page for security threads--starting with the bunch below (in no particular order; maybe I'll organize them later). Find a good security thread? Post it up and I'll add it to the list.

IF YOUR CRUISER WAS JUST STOLEN, GO HERE:

NOTE: DO NOT POST PHOTOS WITH GEOLOCATION INFORMATION, particularly if photos were taken at or near your home, place of work etc. Because guess what? Any thief who can read the geo info can now find your Cruiser (and anything or anyone else you've photographed at home, for instance). He/She/They don't need your plate, VIN, name, identifiable photo background or any contact with you at all; they can just roll right up, thank you very much. There's an option on your phone or other device to turn off geotagging (which is probably turned on by default). Use it. (This bit copied from 'Selling Your Cruiser? Read This First' post, but bears repeating here.)

ADD: For those coming in from other threads and thinking "OMG, someone's publicly posting the publicly posted public posts!" please refer to Public Post #5, below the links. Short version:

Back in the Cold War days, a DC reporter asked the State Dept. for a list of guests at an upcoming State Dept. event for diplomats and the like. The State Dept. said, Sorry that's classified or somesuch. So the intrepid reporter asked the Soviet embassy for the list--which they promptly provided. So, who was that "secret" information being kept from, exactly?

Same deal here: the thieves already know this sh*t. The cops already know this sh*t. We're the ones with blood, sweat and tears into these rigs and thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on the line. Likewise, we're the only ones in a position do anything to PREVENT theft--and yet we largely DON'T know this sh*t. What freaking sense does that make? Prices are going up. Thefts are going up. And it's high time we bone up on this sh*t. If you've got some extra-super-special trick you want to keep private, hey--keep it private. I'm just making the stuff folks have already shared easier to find.

Here's to the day the bad guys see a Land Cruiser and think, "****, man, those are too hard. Let's steal something else..." :)

Last edited:
May as well sticky it and rename ito “Want to steal an 80? Click here first for all the security info!”
Great idea, why didn't I think of that?

Oh wait, I did think of that. I was actually going to address this preemptively in the original post, but didn't want to seem snarky by saying "I don't wanna hear about how no one should post on security..." And I don't mean to be snarky now. (Well, maybe just a little.) You guys are serious posters and I've long respected your tech know-how. But on this particular thing, I beg to differ. So, here's the thing as I see it...

There are probably a hundred different ideas in these posts; what are the bad guys gonna do, run through a checklist that takes them an hour, looking to see if any of these things have been implemented? Even if they stop doping long enough to think, Gee, maybe I'll steal a Land Cruiser today, lemme go read a Land Cruiser forum to see what people might do to stop me--they don't have the time to run through that checklist on-scene. That's assuming they can read in the first place...

Most thefts are crimes of opportunity, committed by idiots who found easy pickings. If these threads help Cruisers harden the target, the idiots will just move on to something easier--owned, perhaps, by someone who never learned this stuff because they couldn't find it on their favorite forum, because someone was hesitant to post a good idea...

Pro thieves will be more determined, but the longer the job takes them, the more likely they are to bugger off as well. They're looking for a 60-second score, not a puzzle with a hundred possible solutions and only one that works. Or even one obvious solution that takes time. (How many cat thieves are going to hang around and saw through your sliders to reach the cats?) Short of a tow or a slide bed, measures found in these threads ensure that the quick score ain't gonna happen. And part of being a pro is knowing when to move on.

Some of the tactics in these threads allow you to find your rig even if it is snatched by top-level pros with a tow truck or slide bed.

In short, the bad guys already know this sh*t; we're the ones playing catch-up.

So. Let's catch up, shall we?

Last edited:
I'm all for sharing tech information, but some information should remain private.
^^agreed^^

I have a couple of great ideas that are unique to me and my rig, but I will not be sharing any of it.

I'm all for sharing tech information, but some information should remain private.
Once upon a time, I actually tried to start a private security-discussion group with some folks who'd shown an interest in threads like these. Got a lot of well wishes but as it turns out, many of the old hands who would (I think) be most knowledgeable about this sort of thing, are not terribly fond of the internet, and Mud is (and will remain) their only form of social media / interactive tech platform. No facebook etc. So right off the bat, finding a common platform was a problem. They're on Mud because they have to be; everything else is optional.

Good stuff @jaymar maybe add some for removing port installed systems as well as people are wanting to upgrade.

Good stuff @jaymar maybe add some for removing port installed systems as well as people are wanting to upgrade.
Meaning the original, now-dated security systems? Find me some good threads! :)

I used to own a vehicle security business in the UK, I have over the years worked out the perfect solution (barring lifting and towing away), that has seen a serious reduction to all cars in thefts, being raised in the East End of London around 20 or 30 cars used to go missing per day! Now with the 80 becoming not so much a rare beast, but with parts prices rising beyond anything resembling sensible let alone affordable, then theft and breaking the car for parts is now almost the norm! I suggest you PM me for wiring diagram and parts list.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I actually tried to start a private security-discussion group with some folks who'd shown an interest in threads like these. Got a lot of well wishes but as it turns out, many of the old hands who would (I think) be most knowledgeable about this sort of thing, are not terribly fond of the internet, and Mud is (and will remain) their only form of social media / interactive tech platform. No facebook etc. So right off the bat, finding a common platform was a problem. They're on Mud because they have to be; everything else is optional.

There is a lot of truth in this statement and I concur. Even though I'm on FB, I find myself steering folks to this and other vehicle based tech forums for tech talk. The "younguns" perceive FB, IG, TicToc, etc as the end all to be all when it comes to tech chatter :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm THAT old curmudgeons guy now.....🤔

I used to own a vehicle security business in the UK, I have over the years worked out the perfect solution (barring lifting and towing away), that has seen a serious reduction to all cars in thefts, being raised in the East End of London around 20 or 30 cars used to go missing per day! Now with the 80 becoming not so much a rare beast, but with parts prices rising beyond anything resembling sensible let alone affordable, then theft and breaking the car for parts is now almost the norm! I suggest you PM me for wiring diagram and parts list.

Regards

Dave

I've done a fair bit of reading and have yet to find anyone fully document what is needed to install a new alarm (viper or compustar) using the original wiring harness tie in points for the factory alarm. I would be all on board for not hacking up a wire harness more than necessary. If you have an opinion or info on this, I am eager to hear it.... and if it's just "don't worry about the harness so much" then, so be it.

^^agreed^^

I have a couple of great ideas that are unique to me and my rig, but I will not be sharing any of it.

I think a lot of folks are giving the average car thief too much credit. If they want it bad enough, they are getting it... but most aren't after something specific (or rather, not YOUR vehicle, specifically)... this isn't Gone in 60 seconds unless you are some instagram famous offroad influencer. There are plenty of security threads around the internet with tons of different ways to install kill switches, fish hooks, snakes, lava, etc... it's a deep sea of options and a skilled thief knows the general ideas ... and the crack heads just want your cat. So, just make it a little more difficult to steal and maybe they will just rip out your head unit.

If you are THAT worried, you should have a GPS tracking system, a kill switch, a two way communicating alarm (depending on how thick your tin foil hat is), it should be parked behind a locked gate or garage at night (with the door physically locked down... you can get into a garage in like 3 seconds), and a brake jack/steering wheel clamp. Oh, and some discussion with your insurance about the mods and value.

Just bought a $6/mo SIM card for an old phone that is now hidden in the truck drawing power from the house battery. Now I'll at least know where to go looking if the truck disappears.

Appreciate all these threads trying to help keep our junk safe.

Yeah I've been thinking (after diving into these threads) that the crackhead, the semi-pro, and probably most of the pro thieves are not the real problem. IMO they can be persuaded to piss off by making it impossible to steal the vehicle without making a LOT of noise AND a) towing or slide-bedding the truck or b) taking an enormous amount of time to locate and defeat several security measures. Are they gonna trash things? Probably, unless they're pros and don't want you to know they were there (and maybe plan on coming back). But that's better than a stolen rig, and there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it short of real armor, or limiting their available time with a noisemaker. That said...

The real problem is the pro thief (or more likely team of thieves) who put the truck in neutral using the shifter (or, worse, disconnect the linkage from under the truck), then silently roll it down the street to a waiting tow vehicle/trailer/slide bed. These methods (particularly the second, as they might not even have to enter the vehicle) will defeat probably 90-99% of the security measures we've been talking about. So, once you've taken those basic measures, it's time to deal with these guys...

As you say, garage the vehicle if possible, lock the doors down, alarm doors and windows, and use a motion detector of some kind. I recently read about a guy who had his car stolen from his locked garage while he slept in the house. It's gotta be super-easy to ensure no one can get into the garage without tripping an alarm, unless they saw through the wall or ceiling--and a motion (or sound) detector catches even that. Make sure the alarm system has its own power source. Maybe have it go off if the main power fails.

No garage? Park behind a locked gate. Block the truck with another vehicle. Rig up something immovable you can secure the truck to. Every extra step the bad guys have to take makes it more likely they'll just piss off, because the one thing they don't have (once an alarm starts shrieking, anyway) is time.

If your home alarm system is within range, I've thought about adding a door/window sensor to the driver's door. If the truck door opens the house alarm would go off. Will work while home, while away during the day, etc plus I get notifications on my phone and have a police response in case we're out of town. Seems to have a lot of benefits. Just a thought

The idea I have is something I made up years (and I mean years) ago, it has proved to be flawless! One of the problems with cut outs/alarms/kill switches is they all get too involved in the OE wiring harness, this can introduce difficult to trace problems keeping in mind top end alarms incorporate all black wiring, this is to make it harder for the thief (who has seen the stickers on your car saying protected by (insert alarm brand here) so he can go on the internet and find the wires needed to be cut/bypassed to steal your car in a few minutes!

The system I have made come up with makes one (1) connection to the OE loom, and two (2) to the car body or earth (three if you want to to add a simple extra), the instructions are designed for a complete novice however, if you have any doubt about your vehicle wiring skill whatsoever then call in someone who knows what they are doing. There is another advantage to this being so easy to install, if you fit this yourself you know how to circumnavigate it, despite this knowledge though it will still take you 30 - 40 minutes and you will need some tools!

I also use the simple SIM locator and have done for years, this is for those brazen enough to try and tow it away, I will find my car but I will NOT call the police....if you know what I mean?

Remember to PM me for instructions.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Dave

If you are THAT worried, you should have a GPS tracking system, a kill switch, a two way communicating alarm (depending on how thick your tin foil hat is), it should be parked behind a locked gate or garage at night (with the door physically locked down... you can get into a garage in like 3 seconds), and a brake jack/steering wheel clamp. Oh, and some discussion with your insurance about the mods and value.
I am not that worried, I am just not sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom