Attempted Theft of Fzj-80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is appropriate for this section of the forum, if not I apologize.

Tonight I arrived in the train station and routinely tried to start my truck. The key didn't hit the ignition, and the ring didn't light up either.

I soon found out why:

c2fAjQg.jpg

Someone tried, and failed, to take what appears to have been a drill to my ignition column in order to steal the truck. It appears that hey really went at it. This might sound stupid, but luckily I hardly ever lock my truck so there was no damage to the outside of the vehicle.

Something must have spooked the thief because nothing was taken from the truck. The spare tire on the rear bumper, the head unit, the PIAA lights, the amp, all of it was still there. Is it even possible to steal an FZJ-80 like this?

Anyways, I managed to get it towed but now I have to worry about insurance. I have auto theft insurance but not comprehensive coverage. The truck is probably worth ~$14,000 if I sold it privately, but the last time the truck was totaled (for this: Landcruiser vs. Tire, is it totalled?) I got ~$9,000 from the insurance company. I'm hoping they don't decide to total it here as well.

What does everyone think the prognosis is? I obviously need a new ignition column, some new dash sections, a new indicator arm etc.

All in all, a big pain in the ass. But at least it didn't get stolen and I still have the truck.

There is a special place in hell for this a****** who tried to steal your rig. He shall be oven mates with Adolf Hitler and Sadam Hussein where he will routinely get sodomized.

I really hope things work out for you. How did he manage to break the dash, ac controls and all the buttons???

There is a special place in hell for this a****** who tried to steal your rig. He shall be oven mates with Adolf Hitler and Sadam Hussein where he will routinely get sodomized.

I really hope things work out for you. How did he manage to break the dash, ac controls and all the buttons???

I'm guessing he got really frustrated that he couldn't get it moving and just started hitting stuff. It looks like he used a sawzall haha.

Thanks, I hope everything ends up going as smoothly as possible as well.

As John Wayne use to say "life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" Obviously this car thief is to obtuse to be any good at stealing cars.

Some Tweeker M-Fer! look at that ignition...WTF!

WAKE UP CALL to all of us......

You can thank the rocketing price for crack heads to part these out.

Something to think about......
How often do you see 60's/40's out in the street anymore. Theres a reason why they are all stuck in a garage.

You got lucky - these are an item the creme' LX450's with lockers get ripped, but thankfully we are all past the 'bell' of the curve.

The downside to that is now we are the 'amatuer hour' theives demographic - more ripped dashes, more damage in general. Adrenaline rush & drug fueled theft vs. surgical grabs.

Luckily the OP can replace these column for 1/3 the cost if they ripped the dash for a stupid headunit.

OP - it may cost $900 at most for all the parts, and you'll be whole again - but think on adding a 'noisemaker' alarm they don't wire the full ignition kill in.
(My best bud runs a shop, I've posted plenty why he doesn't wire the ignition kill)

Use this as your learning lesson, frankly I'd keep a cheapo Camry for city use if I wanted to hold a FZJ80 that wasn't stuck in a metro lot unguarded all day.

My old LX450 was molested here in a Snohomish / "hicksville" -park & ride lot with government camera - they took the cats, smashed a window & ::tried:: to steal the fire extinguisher & fookered the console with a single DIN radio & a CB in the cubby.
It was a total methhead gig, but Paul the PO had a headache to handle.

If you love your 80, buy disposable Camrys you can park & forget.

I keep a shizzy to me '99 Prelude just to park in metro Seattle. That's its' whole job - be reliable to drive 70 miles each way & be there when I come out of any event.

I'm more worried about getting home than the car, best way to enjoy a baseball game. It's a stupid old SH prelude I almost want to graffiti paint to make it repulsive.

That's my take on parking in a lot in a heavy metro scene.

One more reason for me to live in bum FAWK Iowa!

Having said that, a neighbor's (one block over) 2014 Malibu was stolen from his driveway the other morning. He started it and "forgot something" inside. He ran back inside and came out "just a couple of minutes later" and it was gone.

I've suspected some financial troubles for a few months so I have other thoughts on it getting stolen...

You don't lock your vehicle in LI? And you don't have an aftermarket alarm??? tsk tsk. Whoever he was, he was an idiot. All he needed was a dent puller on that ignition and he could have started it with a screwdriver.

I've had the truck since 1996. I live pretty far out east on Long Island, been parking in that lot for quite a while with no issues. Not quite as dangerous as Nassau county or the boroughs.

I don't lock the truck anymore for several reasons: if someone wanted to get in then they can get in extremely easily, and the last two times I've locked my truck in below freezing weather the key snapped.

I absolutely need to get an aftermarket alarm, that goes without saying. Wish I had it before I got burned, but luckily I still have the truck and I can fix the issue.

Glad they didn't get away with it, really sucks when you 80 gets stolen. I guess damage like that sucks too. Here is what it looks like when the thief is more successful and maybe more experienced. Then all they need is scissors for keys and the pipe for smoking motivation.

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

Did you report it to police? Any surveillance video? Latent prints? The reason cars are stolen nowadays is mainly to use them to commit other crimes in them. Trust me no crackhead or tweaker is going to do all the work parting out takes. I'm really surprised anyone would try to steal an 80. With that being said I hope you can get it all straightened out. That would piss me to no end to have this happen.

Is there a way to install a kill switch that would disengage the ECU under the drivers seat? It could just be unplugged....and then no one would be able to start the LC. Ask me how I found that out. ;)

Is there a way to install a kill switch that would disengage the ECU under the drivers seat? It could just be unplugged....and then no one would be able to start the LC. Ask me how I found that out. ;)

Yes. A battery shut off switch would work. I'm sure there are other ways to do it to.

Just thinking you could splice the ignition wire with a switch. Off mean the circuit is open. On means it closed.

I used to just pull the efi relay and put it in my pocket when we were overseas do the same thing here if we are somewhere shady looking

The pros in the big city just tow your rig away and worry about starting and the alarm later.

I run an automatic resetting starting system on my 80. Basically I can give you my keys and unless you know the secret starting sequence it will only crank and not start until the key is shut out and the proper starting sequence is done. Does not help with the above though.

Park nose in and steering cranked all the way right or left will help with big city tow boys

Pull your coil wire to dizzy. Let'em try to start rig then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom