Security for high-value items inside vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

maybe a dog?
have you watched the youtube on the British electrician that wired up his work van doors?

Early morning hours of Feb 1, 11 pickups and SUVs broken into at my apartment complex. All smash and grab stuff. Among the vehicles was a Ford F-150 parked next to my two LXs. Neither of mine were touched. Gotta love the soccer-mom-effect.

Is that of any help to you? No, and I apologize, but lends some anecdotal credence to @White Stripe comment. Less seems to be more as far as exterior goes. And maybe a high voltage door handle.

Get some tint and one of these:

ACtC-3ewS169fP1RlDoNNEFe1wB7QRRrURsvxSHhIl0FI-CeLpxk1aJgthV10RyIsS5F7KMHpg3eTX4NynyAp7miFKGDQNh1yDZWLhCh-xF9tP3aJkfYxpBKLgnmonCzgpBuUPijm36T-K5uUIOjtfKdhewMxQ=w703-h937-no

As discussed in other threads, I will be transporting some valuable gear, mostly in Pelican cases, in my 200 as I take trips around the country. Since I will be solo much of the time, I am worried about cargo security. My current approach will include:
  • Heavily tinted windows
  • Steel Molle panels on the rear side windows that block the view and provide additional obstruction to smash-and-grabbers
  • Polycarbonate liner inside the hatch window that also provides some smash-and-grab protection
  • Aftermarket alarm with shock sensor
  • Shock-sensing dash cams
  • 120DB alarm cables connecting cases and running through seat tie offs
  • Multiple extra-long ulocks connecting all cases together and preventing any one from being quickly snatched
  • Satellite tracker in one randomly selected case (pending results of effectiveness testing when inside case)
  • Considering roof-rack mounted cameras that record to the cloud (when there's a cell signal), though I don't love the surveillance van look of that
I'm still not satisfied with this approach and thought I'd open up a discussion on what others have done to secure gear, albeit probably different gear from mine, when they go on trips.

Of course, I have insurance, but I consider it half useless in my case, given the months of labor that goes into constructing and even manufacturing my highly customized equipment.
Or you could look like a slob build a wooden platform that pulls up by hinges when the back hatch is open. Glue all the waste items to that plywood and looks like a huge garbage pile in the back. The people see that and I'll say"G hey, this guy is a slob! " and leave the vehicle LOL that. What he doesn't know is Just 4 inches underneath all that garbage that is glued to the wood is all your valuables underneath the plywood.

Or you could look like a slob build a wooden platform that pulls up by hinges when the back hatch is open. Glue all the waste items to that plywood and looks like a huge garbage pile in the back. The people see that and I'll say"G hey, this guy is a slob! " and leave the vehicle LOL that. What he doesn't know is Just 4 inches underneath all that garbage that is glued to the wood is all your valuables underneath the plywood.
Twice a thief broke into my Land Cruiser and took some tools that were not bolted down or security indoors they didn't take my tool chest because my tool chest was bolted to a piece of plywood that extended from the back of the seats to the back of the hatch. Could also install a large box and have several different locks on it. Install a raid siren inside the truck guarantee they won't stay inside very long!

Wrap your key fob in a piece of tinfoil or buy a Faraday bag (<$10) when not in your Cruiser.

You'll certainly attract some savvy thieves with your set-up.

Last edited:
I sure hope people suggesting getting a dog are joking. That's not even close to being an acceptable reason for getting a pet. If serious, those are HUGELY irresponsible suggestions.

--

OP, I think you are greatly overthinking this.

You can spend a million dollars on the latest and greatest protection, but if someone wants your stuff, they will get it. You already have insurance for your gear, and that's all you really need.

Tint your windows to the max allowed my law, don't park in downtown Detroit, and consider putting in a set of drawers or other false-floor to give the average passer by the impression that you have an empty trunk. Done.

I sure hope people suggesting getting a dog are joking. That's not even close to being an acceptable reason for getting a pet. If serious, those are HUGELY irresponsible suggestions.

--

OP, I think you are greatly overthinking this.

You can spend a million dollars on the latest and greatest protection, but if someone wants your stuff, they will get it. You already have insurance for your gear, and that's all you really need.

Tint your windows to the max allowed my law, don't park in downtown Detroit, and consider putting in a set of drawers or other false-floor to give the average passer by the impression that you have an empty trunk. Done.
Being from Detroit, I kiddingly take exception to your comment about the Motor City! But it did inspire me to Google it.....

New Mexico is #1?!

I was recently in San Antonio, TX at a hotel.

I was driving a 2020 Tahoe that looked like a soccer Mom. I intentionally left a bunch of trash on the passenger seat and floor (like McDonalds wrappers, pop cans, used napkins, food bags) to make it look like I was a slob and had nothing of "value" in the truck.

Within 50 feet of my vehicle a white Ford F-250 4 door pickup dragging a CAT generator trailer had the rear window smashed out and all of his tools, firearms, and other important stuff was removed.
1) His truck LOOKS like it's full of tools and firearms.
2) He parked in the farthest back corner of the lot.
3) He was only in the parking lot for 4 hours (arrived at 2:30 AM, back out at the truck at 6:30 AM) and they grabbed his stuff.
4) He commented to me as I was walking through the lobby of the hotel, as I was carrying my firearms case. He said: "Oh, you take yours in with you, huh?" I replied: "Yes, I never leave them anywhere that someone can pop a window and get to them in a few seconds."

So, I'm on the side of:
Keep it plain and simple. It's still a Land Cruiser, so that will draw some attention ($$$).
Keep the trash scattered around inside so it "looks" undesirable and organized.
Have a false floor to make things less visible.
Cover everything inside with a dark blanket if you don't have a false floor, then pile clothing and other random things on top of it to break up "lines" of boxes or cases. Don't make it LOOK like you're covering up something valuable.

Otherwise, tying the cases together and having sensors and alarms help.

People ignore car alarms when in parking lots, even if someone is in it because "everyone" accidentally sets off their alarm. Easy to dismiss it if someone acts as if it's their own vehicle.

Was debating this myself last night as to what to mount to the car. Flimsy but flies under the radar, or flashy but secure?

Can't help myself and probably made the wrong choice.

1612553860566.png

1612553750644.png

Thanks for sharing your experience in San Antonio, BILT4ME. When I read that firearms were taken I was wondering why anyone would leave such “tools” overnight in their vehicle. Then when I read “Oh, you take yours in with you, huh?" I thought, maybe some sense would soak into that guy’s head?

What pisses me off is that now we have some criminal(s) better armed.

Rant over.

Thanks for sharing your experience in San Antonio, BILT4ME. When I read that firearms were taken I was wondering why anyone would leave such “tools” overnight in their vehicle. Then when I read “Oh, you take yours in with you, huh?" I thought, maybe some sense would soak into that guy’s head?

What pisses me off is that now we have some criminal(s) better armed.

Rant over.
In my industry as well as the Oil Field industry, there a LOT of construction folks that drive these heavily built trucks with tool racks, tools, and almost ALL of them have firearms in them and more than one or two. They are easy targets in hotel parking lots because the vehicle itself screams to the world what it contains.

Glass and car alarms are non-deterrent items and it only takes seconds for folks to get what they want out of these vehicles. You must make it so they cannot see or retrieve what they want with a quick smash-n-grab. Time is the criminal's enemy.

A couple of years ago three days before Christmas I went into Bed Bath and Beyond to check something as a gift. I was planning to be in the store for about two minutes so I just took the key. In the 4runner I left my wallet and backpack which carried EVERYTHING when I traveled, passport , extra phone, credit cards, and so on.

I returned to the truck probably five minutes after I left and found glass all over the ground and the drivers seat. It didn’t help that it was pouring rain and temp just above freezing. The crooks were looking for Fisher snowplow controllers, my plow uses a different system. The controller is worth about $300 and an easy sale.

So they grabbed my backpack, maybe they would have anyway, the truck is black with moderately deep tinted windows and an electric door handle certainly would not have stopped them.

The moral is “ bring it with you”. No matter how good your security is, they can beat it. If they can’t the first time they will come back better prepared the next time.

Don't post details of your build and equipment on a public forum?
A couple of years ago three days before Christmas I went into Bed Bath and Beyond to check something as a gift. I was planning to be in the store for about two minutes so I just took the key. In the 4runner I left my wallet and backpack which carried EVERYTHING when I traveled, passport , extra phone, credit cards, and so on.

I returned to the truck probably five minutes after I left and found glass all over the ground and the drivers seat. It didn’t help that it was pouring rain and temp just above freezing. The crooks were looking for Fisher snowplow controllers, my plow uses a different system. The controller is worth about $300 and an easy sale.

So they grabbed my backpack, maybe they would have anyway, the truck is black with moderately deep tinted windows and an electric door handle certainly would not have stopped them.

The moral is “ bring it with you”. No matter how good your security is, they can beat it. If they can’t the first time they will come back better prepared the next time.
I'm person getting sick of ragging my tech bag with wheels into the house. I have to drag it up three stairs. I was actually thinking about building a Kevlar mesh net and I'm kind of Locking System with lock into the floor. Probably a chili pepper dispenser that sprays super powder fried chili pepper into the air could be a serious eye irritants and he would probably leave.

Could just have an armor package installed on your truck. 2” thick glass and armor plating throughout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom