Aftermarket Alarm & Security (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking to secure my prized possession as much as possible. I searched for a bit, but only found some threads from 5-10+ years ago.

What is the current consensus on aftermarket alarms or security options?

Any good write-ups for a novice electrical guy and DiY?

Anyone have experience with an alarm installer in Los Angeles?

I was just thinking about the same topic, with an upcoming trip to South America next year. I'm wanting a system that:
-provides a less-typical low-volume/short duration audio alert, or adjustable alert options
-smartphone integrated
-vehicle camera integration
-longesrt possible range to the primary alarm remote
-remote start functionality in primary remote and smart phone

Last edited:
This thread doesn't seem to be too popular. Lol.

I’ve seen Viper used on some high-end vehicles. Maybe start there. But don’t let the installer screw up your wiring, which is typical. Same for stereo installers. Also look into the Ravelco device. And try searching the forum for kill switch; should bring more results.

I am also thinking the Viper system is the way to go, but very concerned about finding a good installer. Particularly someone who knows the 80.

I've made your super un-cool thread now suddenly really amazing.

I think we both have to start with what type of security are we looking for. Myself, I'm obviously worried about the theft of the entire vehicle, but on the other hand, I'm also worried about people trying to get into the vehicle to take s***. Security with a kill switch to stop vehicle theft is good. I'm also want some way to be alerted that someone is poking around, trying to get in, etc, so I can get to the close-by vehicle, and kick some ass. Most likely scenario is a parked vehicle and I'm sleeping, I'm at a restaurant, etc.

Anyone have any alarm system recommendations for off-the-shelf kits / components? Or this-is-crap-stay-away experiences?

Had Viper in the 90s. Was better than Clifford.
My rig came with remote start and lock/unlock from Avatar or some such. It had no security. FFW to a couple months ago, after a close call with a theft decided to upgrade what I had to provide security. It wasn't able to be added.
So...decided to go with CompuStart w/security.
1) It's the only one-way system still out there. These days, you don't want your rig 'broadcasting' like what happens with 2-way systems imo. NONE of these systems are encrypted in any way.
2) GPS monitoring could be added to the unit I got, as well as phone-app integration. Prob imo here is that GPS is often tied to cell coverage, subscription, and/or you/your phones proximity to the truck. No bueno ims given that the truck or myself/phone is not in cell signal range much of the time anyway.
3) Ignition kill is integrated into the system, along with glass-break, motion, and hood lift sensor.
4) Added a second siren inside the truck in hopes to keep them out if they get a door open.

Total cost out the door installed, $500 09/2021. Best Buy. (GPS/app stuff extra)
It may have made things easier already having a unit installed by PO at some point. Presumably they used much of the same wiring. Still took 7hrs tho...:dead:

I have been looking at the ravelco also for theft still have the dealer installed alarm which triggers the horn if a door is open not sure the window break sensor works. I bought a apple air tag and hid it in the vehicle so I can track it if it is stolen only cost $25 works great been using it for about 6 months now. Not sure how that would work over seas.

I just keep mine torn apart with projects lol. Look at Lonestar Tracking for GPS location.

I have been looking at the ravelco also for theft still have the dealer installed alarm which triggers the horn if a door is open not sure the window break sensor works. I bought a apple air tag and hid it in the vehicle so I can track it if it is stolen only cost $25 works great been using it for about 6 months now. Not sure how that would work over seas.
Don’t airtags chirp and give away their location?

Don’t airtags chirp and give away their location?
They only chirp if you tag it if you are just using the location on your phone it makes no sound. I know because my daughter rides the bus so I use it to track her and I ding it sometimes for fun and she always tells me when she gets of the bus. HAHA

I have installed vipers and standalone gps systems in three of my classic toyotas. If you want something done right, generally you have to do it yourself. I wouldn’t trust a best buy radio install kid to even change a dome light bulb.

I put a viper system in my 80. Even has remote start. Very worth while investment since I occasionally park it on the street in SF.

I have installed vipers and standalone gps systems in three of my classic toyotas. If you want something done right, generally you have to do it yourself. I wouldn’t trust a best buy radio install kid to even change a dome light bulb.
Right. Do your due diligence. It wasn't the first BB I went to that did the work.
In fact the smaller shops acted like they didn't want to touch it...probably due to age, thinking they might break something and [edit:thinking] I'd go blaming and suing.

Last edited:
I put a viper system in my 80. Even has remote start. Very worth while investment since I occasionally park it on the street in SF.
Agree, I have the viper system with two key fobs remote start and can start\lock\unlock through the app. The app also allows live vehicle tracking with an added subscriber fee. If you go to the viper site they have preferred installers that can do it. Also went down the road of DIY, but for the money it was not much more to have it installed. I paid around $800 for everything and is probably one of the best investments I have made.

Here is the link to the system I have:
Viper LCD 2-Way Security + Remote Start System - https://www.viper.com/car/securityremotestart/product/5706v/viper-lcd-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system

Viper SmartStart - Remote Start, Lock, Unlock, and Locate Your Car with Your iPhone or Android - https://www.viper.com/smartstart/

Had Viper in the 90s. Was better than Clifford.
My rig came with remote start and lock/unlock from Avatar or some such. It had no security. FFW to a couple months ago, after a close call with a theft decided to upgrade what I had to provide security. It wasn't able to be added.
So...decided to go with CompuStart w/security.
1) It's the only one-way system still out there. These days, you don't want your rig 'broadcasting' like what happens with 2-way systems imo. NONE of these systems are encrypted in any way.
2) GPS monitoring could be added to the unit I got, as well as phone-app integration. Prob imo here is that GPS is often tied to cell coverage, subscription, and/or you/your phones proximity to the truck. No bueno ims given that the truck or myself/phone is not in cell signal range much of the time anyway.
3) Ignition kill is integrated into the system, along with glass-break, motion, and hood lift sensor.
4) Added a second siren inside the truck in hopes to keep them out if they get a door open.

Total cost out the door installed, $500 09/2021. Best Buy. (GPS/app stuff extra)
It may have made things easier already having a unit installed by PO at some point. Presumably they used much of the same wiring. Still took 7hrs tho...:dead:
A weekend of studying and you take $5 to your closest Mormon church, you can setup gps tracking with a ham operator license. No subscription, no cell service, no problem. Google arps tracking. The cost of devices is like $50, which tells me there is like $15 worth of parts if you're the diy type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom