Vehicle Security: Master Thread (Index Thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LC4LIFE Whilst I get your sentiments in response to @Somebodyelse5 post, apart from your own 'handle', many people especially some of the older members who DO want to keep their vehicle for life (I am one of them), or perhaps don't have a driveway/garage which of course if they did have one they cannot take it out with them. And there is the insurance, sure that helps ease the pain if your car goes missing but you might get an agreed value for the car, but will have trouble getting an agreed value not just for the fitting and fitments i.e.winch, RTT, dual battery setup....blah blah and so forth, but it is the time it took to install everything, there is not an insurance assessor in the world who can arbitrarily make a guess for your time and labour you may have put in and then add it to the agreed value, and of course this assumes they do not (if it is recovered) find out that the suspension and brake mods you have made and were not declared, I know it is a minefield out there but I think just make it harder and the thief will move on.

The ideal system (which I have offered gratis) cannot be forgotten, unless you are in the habit of leaving your motor running when you get out of it, for example running into the tobacconists for a packets of fags.......just remembered that does not mean the same to those across the pond LOL!

But if you do switch off the motor then the fuel system is disabled it is that simple, no pulling out the ignition or ECU relay which will soon piss you off let alone start to loosen the contacts, and are you going to do this when it is pissing down with rain? My so simple system will disengage automatically the moment you switch off, remember the phrase 'that moment of inattention!

Stay safe.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:
I see I am getting quite a response to my idea making it difficult (read very) for someone to steal your 80, I do not see a way to attach a PDF file to a PM, so when you message me please give me an email and I will send the instructions, parts list and diagram.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
New twist I thought I'd post up, after hearing a Bronco owner's story. Short version: Truck stolen in Los Angeles, on video. A year later, he finds it for sale on craigslist; new paint, engine swapped. Goes to take a look, yup, that's it. Same dents, marks, original paint under repaint, etc. AND the van used by the thieves was parked AT THE SAME PLACE (this was discovered using Google Street View--there's a tip). Cops come and look the truck over; nope, not his truck, they say. The VIN matches the frame stampings--and not his registration. The van? That's a coincidence. Truck sold for $45k. PO saw it on the road one day, talked to new owner, who was sympathetic. But there's no way one or the other of them isn't out $45k. Right now that's PO. All I can figure is, the bad guys swapped frames. Why they didn't address the cosmetic issues as well, I dunno. Budgetary constraints? Some of these guys are more sophisticated / work harder than I thought...

So, you might want to mark the vehicle in some identifiable way that's not easy to find. TAKE DATED PHOTOS of this, and anything else that's unique: damage, mods, whatever. Provide all that to the cops. This probably would have put this Bronco back in the PO's hands.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am still getting requests to send over the anti theft device via PM's and I am replying as quick as possible however, I still need your email to send the PDF file and one or two of you are forgetting, I cannot send the file via the PM system....well not that I can see anyway. :confused:

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
We have a product currently available for FJ62 owners and are in development with 40/60/80 series.

The kit we have for the 62 is incredibly clean. Disconnect one factory connection and add in our harness. Pick a location for your “hidden” switch and ground and you are in business.

We don’t have details published for the reasons noted before on keeping customers rigs protected.

Anyone with enough electrical knowledge can create another step to dissuade someone with a worn Toyota key from driving off. We wanted to help make that possible for people with little inclination to tackle that themselves.

For those who are motivated. We have a number of Factory FSM and Wiring Diagrams on our website as well to help aid with the task.

Choose who drives your Landcruiser.

Sometimes I unplug my coil. 😲

I call up my insurance and let them know my car will be stolen soon.

Some of you might have the tinfoil on a smidge too tight.
what does this mean> lol

what does this mean> lol

It is a referral to the people who think their brain is being controlled by aliens or the government with invisible beams or whatever, they believe the tin foil protects them. LOL!

Regards

Dave

It is a referral to the people who think their brain is being controlled by aliens or the government with invisible beams or whatever, they believe the tin foil protects them. LOL!

Regards

Dave
I think since I don’t have sunroof on my 60 my brain is protected from alien waves

Okay, so, new threat. At least this one makes it harder for someone to steal the vehicle. I guess the National Coalition to Ban Cars (or, at least, SUVs) is now here. Meet the Tyre Extinguishers.

Website talks about deflating; article says slashed tires. Maybe that's just the US variant. HOW much carbon does it take to make four new tires...?

Of course these people, don't own cars, never go on holiday on a ship or airplane right?

Well I have always had a set of beliefs for my entire life. You mess with my family, me or my property and I will not call the police however, I do repay with a response considered by most that I am crazy....perhaps I am? Give me one minute of grief and I will repay ten or more times over, keep in mind that the person who I have caught would not be able to debate this with me, there will be no argument or discussion and no amount of pleading will do them good... nothing! I will hurt that person so much that they (and their friends) will not be able to comprehend the damage I will inflict on them.

Another note.

I am one of those people who has no fear, if I end up in prison then so be it. if I die so be it, but I will have sent a message to these fu*ks on the way! Trust me, there is nothing you can say that will deter me, leave me alone and I will leave them alone..........yeh I can do crazy!

Regards

Dave

Another thought: It might not be the best idea to plaster company names on windows/bumpers/trailers etc. Or links to websites where you list all your goodies. Or membership numbers that might be linkable to your build thread or spec-heavy signature line in some forum or other. Or--as Dave says below--stickers telling people which alarm system you're running. (Though putting up a sticker for the wrong alarm system might--or might not--be useful.) And let's not forget those 'My kid is an honor student at [place to find your kid here]' stickers. Or those NRA or 'Insured by Smith & Wesson' stickers and their ilk, which make thieves think they'll find a gun inside, get you questioned by police, and (in some cases, depending on the sticker) will not do you any favors in court should things come to that.

Last edited:
I agree, the alarm I fitted is high end and being a business at the time the reps would give you handfuls of stickers to plaster around cars after fitting the alarms, I gave them to the customer, it was there option to use them. One of the options was a sticker that lit up when the alarm was activated, you could not see it during the day, but really did look cool at night. I thought it was something that actually did tend to attract attention to the car so again offered it to my customers for whatever the cost was, as expected the youngsters loved it, a great pub talk topic, but the more older and laid back customers never even considered it.

As an aside there was an alarm system years back that if you removed the indicator lens and bulb, and then stuffed the bulb socket with silver paper and set of the alarm it would give one beel and the shorted indicator blew the alarm box. :rolleyes:

Regards

Dave

Hi and I meant to add the requests for diagrams for one of the most effective (and I really do meant that) anti theft systems (both cost and fitting wise) you can fit to your 80 (or any other car for that matter) are still available in PDF format, so anyone can use the typical software on their laptop or even phone to read the instructions.

Please send me an email via PM and I will get the instructions sent off to you within a day or or so, the PM system does not seem to allow pictures ect.

I have one fitted on my own 80 and can leave it anywhere knowing that unless someone towed it away it will still be where I left it!

Link to my long running thread from day one to eleven years later is here: Builds - My LC 80 thread. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/

Kind regards

Dave

Just a bump, as people are asking if the details are still available of this hard to bypass security device, the answer is yes and all in a simple PDF file, I need an email address to be able to send it as it would not attach to a PM, so you just email me via PM and I will email the instructions complete with a parts list and wiring diagram. I am guessing the instructions and diagrams must be good, I have emailed more than a few of these to different members both here and to other forums, feedback has been excellent.

Thanks for reading.

Regards

Dave

Hoping someone here may be able to help identify the security system that is installed on my '96. I actually found a picture from another thread of the exact system after it was removed (below). I can't find any brand names on mine except what looks like a date tag from 1996, so it's pretty old.

I'm really just trying to figure out how the thing works since I received no information from the selling dealer and no key fobs. My guess is I should just remove it, but if there is some use to it I'd like to know.

My Alarm_1.jpeg

Any kind of security system like that with different kind of coloured wires is not particularly good, proper alarms and security systems use all black wiring. FWIW the security system I send out via email FOC can use either however, despite the easy installation once installed a the potential thief will have a hard time getting his head around it.

Regards

Dave

If your vehicle was originally from gulf states toyota, it might be the audiovox system. Do you have a fob? As far as usefulness, that t harness will be good to keep

No, I didn't get any fobs from the PO. Not sure exactly where it was sold, some dealer in Georgia. I'll do some digging into the Audiovox systems though, thanks.

Couple of security threads just updated with this info:

DO NOT POST PHOTOS WITH GEOLOCATION INFORMATION, particularly if photos were taken at or near your home, place of work etc. Because guess what? Any thief who can read the geo info can now find your Cruiser (and anything or anyone else you've photographed at home, for instance). He/She/They don't need your plate, VIN, name, identifiable photo background or any contact with you at all; they can just roll right up, thank you very much. There's an option on your phone or other device to turn off geotagging (which is probably turned on by default). Use it. (This bit copied from 'Selling Your Cruiser? Read This First' post, but bears repeating here.)

Here's a new wrinkle. And they're doing the same with Wi-Fi devices. Something to consider when installing enabled devices you can't shield or turn off or take with you:

Livermore (CA) PD just tweeted out that "thieves are using Bluetooth technology/signals to track down electronics left inside of cars even if they’re hidden... If you have to leave your laptop or smartphone in a vehicle, turn off all electronics completely because even in “sleep” mode, thieves can find it."

They use apps designed to find lost Bluetooth devices. Or they just try to connect to nearby Bluetooth devices--and there's yours.

And here's a clip of some lower-tech thieves in San Francisco (of course). Notice they tend to be focusing on SUVs. One of the vehicles has someone inside it when the window is busted and the bag stolen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom