Catalytic Converter Theft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately my cats were cut off recently while my 80 was left in a parking lot for mechanical work (it's a long story, but unfortunately I have to work through my insurance). They got the O2 sensor and even nicked my frame a little with their sawzall :(

That being said, I am likely not going to be able to afford going OEM. I see that Magnaflow has a cat replacement.. should I go with that and one of their mufflers? Or are there better non OEM options I should consider?

TIA.

Have you gotten an estimate for parts and labor from your local dealership (to send to your insurance company)? It was discussed within the last few years
and IIRC that individual's insurance company reimbursed him the cost of OEM replacement parts and labor, so over $3000.

Last edited:
I think you have to have comprehensive coverage for theft. Do you have comp coverage

I wanted to “like the above statement” but the jack wagon who took your property deserves his/her/it fate. Chaps my behind knowing they profited off your back.

Not to be political, but i have a sinking feeling that these types of thefts will only get worse as time goes by. Since Russia is a big world wide exporter of platinum, and palladium used to make catalytic convertors. And has been placed under major sanctions preventing those exports. In the very near future due to this reduction in supply we will see a near vertical increase in the value of used catalytic converters on the recycling market, so expect more catalytic converter thefts.

Last edited:
I had mine ripped of this week too…while parked in an airport parking lot.

I’ll be following your saga for company as I deal with mine. I’ll likely go dealer & insurance as well.

Good luck!

Damn that’s rough, they are liable for it as it was paid parking correct?

Out of all the cars in a airport parking lot why would someone specifically target an 80? Is there a specific reason?

Out of all the cars in a airport parking lot why would someone specifically target an 80? Is there a specific reason?
The 80 is equiped with not 1, but 2 converters, that equals out to twice the payoff to the thief for the same amount of risk.

Last edited:
The 80 is equiped with not 1, but 2 converts, that equals out to twice the payoff to the thief for the same amount of risk.
Also they are clearly visible from the outside of the truck, especially if your lifted without sliders. You don’t even need to lie on your back, you can just kneel next to the truck slice away.

Good argument for white knuckle sliders with cat protection.

I hate these tweakers, they get $200 bucks for something that cost us victims thousands! I new of a guy who had it happen to him back to back in the same year. $4k each time (Chevy)

Here’s what they left. Just glad they didn’t decide to vandalize the exterior out of spite or do more damage, which they could have easily done.

748851C2-2F9C-418D-A2B9-7E214A286912.jpeg

355A5C4B-2B62-4579-8B6C-4B8E0724511C.jpeg

F601FB95-F447-4D34-9EEA-5DE1E7E95121.jpeg

They must be experienced at this. They used a new blade. May they rot in hades.

The more I look the angrier I get. It appears they attempted to cut the entire body mount at the top. And is the big opening something they dremeled out? Why is the blade paint around the rim? I don’t have the truck with me to compare to the other side.

They must be experienced at this. They used a new blade. May they rot in hades.
The people doing this are not rocket scientist, but then again they don't need to be. Seeing as it only takes 2 cuts with a battery powered saws all to remove most cats, even someone with a 80 IQ can complete this task in under 90 seconds. The above video is of my friends f250 having his cat removed in his driveway in less then 90 seconds.

@Rifleman I was being a smarty pants. Truly, they are the lowest form of scum sucking vermin.

This really angers me.
Unfortunately my cats were cut off recently while my 80 was left in a parking lot for mechanical work (it's a long story, but unfortunately I have to work through my insurance). They got the O2 sensor and even nicked my frame a little with their sawzall :(

That being said, I am likely not going to be able to afford going OEM. I see that Magnaflow has a cat replacement.. should I go with that and one of their mufflers? Or are there better non OEM options I should consider?

TIA.

Sorry this happened to you. Makes me so angry that this happens. Here in Los Angeles, they don't even put these a$$holes in jail.

I had to replace my cats because they weren't passing smog. I purchased some after market brand (might have ben Magnaflow) off of ebay. They've been passing smog ever since I put them in (I'm in CA so we have extra special requirements LOL). I'll try and if I can find the purchase in my ebay account. If I recall, the pair was about $700?

Last edited:
This really angers me.

Sorry this happened to you. Makes me so angry that this happens. Here in Los Angeles, they don't even put these a$$holes in jail.

I had to replace my cats because they weren't passing smog. I purchased some after market brand (might have ben Magnaflow) off of ebay. They've been passing smog ever since I put them in (I'm in CA so we have extra special requirements LOL). I'll try and if I can find the purchase in my ebay account. If I recall, the pair was about $700?

Appreciate it! That’s not too bad at all. Did your check engine light stay off with the aftermarket cats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom