Vacuum Advance... Rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@distributorguy heres the thread I made two years ago! Can’t believe it’s been that long. My tools have certainly gotten much better. Great talking to you and thrilled to know there’s another distributor rebuilder avail for folks to contact. Fingers crossed on the vac adv. if you need more photos I may have more on my desktop so either say here or call or text me.
Thanks!
Felicity

Last edited:
Anybody come up with a solution here? Must be a way to take the control rod apart and reassemble it with new rubber? Alternatively I am looking at adapting a vacuum advance from another car onto my 1985 FJ60. I am capable of micro tig welding, so I could lengthen the rod or attach mounting brackets.

Anybody come up with a solution here? Must be a way to take the control rod apart and reassemble it with new rubber? Alternatively I am looking at adapting a vacuum advance from another car onto my 1985 FJ60. I am capable of micro tig welding, so I could lengthen the rod or attach mounting brackets.
If you don't need a functioning high altitude compensation (HAC) system (do you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway frequently?) I believe there's a single diaphragm Toyota advancer available that would get you the advance you need. I just refurbished an FJ60 distributor that way recently for my '76 FJ40, and will be doing another modification for another MUD member's '77 FJ40 next week. The new NipponDenso advancer I use has very similar vacuum characteristics to the advancer in the '77 2F engine. I'm finalizing a comparison to the FJ60 2F advancer vacuum characteristics this week. If it has comparable advance characteristics to the FJ60's main diaphragm I'll be offering a modification service here on MUD. I'm also looking into other Toyota/NipponDenso advancer options.

I only have a limited supply of suitable NOS advancers that are NLA, so I'm still looking for other options.

Could you share that part number for the Nippon Denso? I am looking at adapting this one from a Mercury. Not sure if it has the correct degrees advance, but any advance is better than none. BWD V470 Distributor Vacuum Advance | eBay
Contact Jeff, @distributorguy. He’s the one who suggested a single diaphragm advance. He professionally recurves, his price is good and he’s very timely.

25FC0A02-4DFD-41FE-983E-6E385B7514C6.png

Contact Jeff, @distributorguy. He’s the one who suggested a single diaphragm advance. He professionally recurves, his price is good and he’s very timely.

View attachment 2190878
I called him a while back asking him if he'd sell me the vacuum advance unit he uses. He didn't have one to sell. He suggested that vacuum advance was not needed and that a recurved mechanical advance was "good enough" for these trucks. I then asked him if he would sell me the springs that he uses on his recurve. He wouldn't sell them to me. He did say that if I sent him my distributor, he would recurve it with no vacuum advance for $400. No thanks. You can buy a whole new distributor recurved for no smog from City Racer for $295. Of course, the original 60 distributor is technically a better design, but sometimes you have to choose your battles.

Last edited:
I dont mean to bash the guy, but some evidence to support the idea that no vacuum advance is needed would be great. My research does not support that claim. I am working on adapting a cheap, adjustable, and readily available HEI vacuum advance, which I think will work just fine. The distributor will not be waterproof however, but that might not matter if im not getting that deep in water.

I dont mean to bash the guy, but some evidence to support the idea that no vacuum advance is needed would be great. My research does not support that claim. I am working on adapting a cheap, adjustable, and readily available HEI vacuum advance, which I think will work just fine. The distributor will not be waterproof however, but that might not matter if im not getting that deep in water.
The impression that he gave me over the phone was that his mechanical recurves would outperform a vacuum advance. Who am I to disagree? I just let him do his schtick. I was mostly looking for a good vacuum pot, not a full recurve, so I didn't feel like he was much help in my particular situation.

Last edited:
I've continued in my search for a suitable single diaphragm vacuum advancer since I posted yesterday morning, but still haven't run across anything with similar advance characteristics. There are plenty that will physically fit, so in the end, we may have to be resigned to the fact that any vacuum advance may be better than none. I'll keep looking.

I've continued in my search for a suitable single diaphragm vacuum advancer since I posted yesterday morning, but still haven't run across anything with similar advance characteristics. There are plenty that will physically fit, so in the end, we may have to be resigned to the fact that any vacuum advance may be better than none. I'll keep looking.
City Racer's description for the desmog distributor that he sells, includes a Toyota diagram of each of the parts on that distributor. The vacuum advance assembly shows a part number of 19220. I did a little search and found that '72 - '74 Toyota Coronas used the 19220-34210 advance pot. A cross reference put me onto Standard Motor Products PN# VC-345. The VC-345 is available from many sources including Rockauto for around $50. It may be the same advance pot or at least a suitable replacement. It is a single port advancer. Have you found this particular advancer in any of your searches?

Last edited:
City Racer's description for the desmog distributor that he sells, includes a Toyota diagram of each of the parts on that distributor. The vacuum advance assembly shows a part number of 19220. I did a little search and found that '72 - '74 Toyota Coronas used the 19220-34210 advance pot. A cross reference put me onto Standard Motor Products PN# VC-345. The VC-345 is available from many sources including Rockauto for around $50. It may be the same advance pot or at least a suitable replacement. It is a single port advancer. Have you found this particular advancer in any of your searches?

That is one that I have been looking at...would require some modifications. Not sure of the degrees advance. I decided to go with a HEI type which is adjustable so I could dial in the advance degrees. Mounting might be a challenge, we shall see. Will require modification of the mounting bracket and also the control arm. This is the one that I ordered, should be here next week. NEW DRAGON FIRE ADJUSTABLE HEI VACUUM ADVANCE CANISTER FOR ALL HEI DISTRIBUTORS | eBay

VC-345 is for the early '70s 18RC distributor. The advance begins at the same applied vacuum as the primary diaphragm in the FJ60 distributor, but it's a much flatter curve. At 200mm HG (7.87 in. Hg), the FJ60 distributor primary diaphragm advance is 10 degrees, the 18RC advance is only 5 degrees at the same applied vacuum.

BTW, the advancer in 19100-61180 advances ~6.6 degrees at 200mm Hg, so it's still a lot flatter curve than the FJ60 advancer.

Last edited:
VC-345 is for the early '70s 18RC distributor. The advance begins at the same applied vacuum as the primary diaphragm in the FJ60 distributor, but it's a much flatter curve. At 200mm HG (7.87 in. Hg), the FJ60 distributor primary diaphragm advance is 10 degrees, the 18RC advance is only 5 degrees at the same applied vacuum.
Would you have any information on the advance characteristics of the standard FJ60 advancer, like an advance curve that would be helpful. I found some info that said it had 18 degrees of advance total, all in. Any thoughts as to what might be optimum on a desmogged 2F?

Would you have any information on the advance characteristics of the standard FJ60 advancer, like an advance curve that would be helpful. I found some info that said it had 18 degrees of advance total, all in. Any thoughts as to what might be optimum on a desmogged 2F?
Rockie, Why re-invent the wheel? If you are okay with straying from the original FJ60 distributor and if being waterproof is not a huge concern, why not just get the City Racer distributor? It's pretty much a drop in for a 2F. It is a Toyota destributor. OEM 2F 3F Distributor for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 70 Series FZJ80

If we ignore the
Rockie, Why re-invent the wheel? If you are okay with straying from the original FJ60 distributor and if being waterproof is not a huge concern, why not just get the City Racer distributor? It's pretty much a drop in for a 2F. It is a Toyota destributor. OEM 2F 3F Distributor for Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 FJ62 70 Series FZJ80

Bit of a step back and potential addition to a new round of headaches with that unit as it is a points distributor vs electronic. So now you have one more maintenance item to deal with, have to make sure the gap is good and that the points haven't burned or worn.

Well, in reality, I am a re invent the wheel kinda guy. Otherwise I would be driving a Honda Pilot, rather than a FJ60. :p

This early F engine advancer is adjustable, but the OD where it fits in the distributor housing is 17mm. The later distributor advancers are 15mm, without enough "meat" in the distributor housing to allow for a larger diameter opening. But there is enough "meat" on the advancer that it could be easily turned down to 15mm in a lathe, but unfortunately I don't have a lathe.
1579883183381.png

Last edited:
I've got a few used advancers like the one in the above photo, all have good non-leaking diaphragms. I pulled them from the '68 and earlier F distributors in my stash. As I refurbish those older distributors, I'll replace the advancers with new single diaphragm advancers from later models. I'd be willing to sell those individually if my advancer replacement works out. That'll be my project for this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom