Vacuum leak smoke test - results. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you, Sir.

You’re absolutely right.
Sometimes, even a blind pig finds the acorn.
While you are fiddling with timing also check the function of your dizzy advance diaphragm(s). They are known to leak (mine did). I got a custom replacement from @4Cruisers. I made my own stop-pin bushing out of 1/4" air line I had lying around, now thinking that tubing wall thickness may have something to do with it but it's probably close enough. You CAN set your timing pretty well with a vacuum gauge, I did it for years before the fancy timing lights were invented. I have a vacuum gauge in dash and highly recommend one.
You are sure that your vacuum secondary diaphragm is intact and working? You did the paper clip thing?

If I'm understanding him right, by "smoke test" I think he meant the "cigar trick".

Blow a mouthful of cigar smoke through a vacuum line (I've done it via the brake booster line before) and see where it comes it in order to help narrow down the source of a vacuum leak.
Yeah I think so. It did not even occur to me that was the approach taken. Never had the need to resort to any of those shenanigans so my mind was not going there. ;)

Mark...

Never had the need to resort to any of those shenanigans….

CE026A56-BD81-4C9B-8954-6B54CDA2D411.jpeg

Yeah I think so. It did not even occur to me that was the approach taken. Never had the need to resort to any of those shenanigans so my mind was not going there. ;)

Mark...
Wow that was fast. You caught that before I saw the smoke machine and deleted my post 😂

Wow that was fast. You caught that before I saw the smoke machine and deleted my post 😂

It’s all good. Everyone’s constructive input is greatly appreciated. I’m no certified professional mechanic. But always willing to learn.

So far the community has been extremely supportive. Grateful.

I jus happened to be at the keyboard when your post popped up. ;)

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom