Used quick fists to mount axe/shovel to my rack, not so sure about this one fellas.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone suggested quick fists for this and they're on there pretty tight although I did need to order a larger one for the other end of the shovel. The thing is though isn't this rubber going to turn to crap after a winter here in Michigan? I put more zip ties than I can count just in case which is going to be a headache but it is what it is...

I bought the actual mount that goes for my rack but it doesn't work because it's too tall and I can barely clear my garage door as it is. So these worked because the axe/shovel can lay flat on the rack.

I know a lot of you guys are using these, how are they holding up??

1D7FCFCE-75C3-474D-A98B-E43E329755E9.jpeg

Last edited:
They held up on my rear bumper in AZ for a few years holding a shovel... those zipties are going to fall apart before the quick fist rubber does... but being directly in sun all the time is never ideal for polymers.

just get a collapsible gerber shovel, idk why but whenever I see stuff permanently mounted on roofs I cringe.

Just be safe quik fists are supposed to be bolted down. Mine have been holding my shovel for years solidly bolted to the rear rack. I'd just be careful with the zip ties. :)

20220902_101147.jpg

Listening to a trunked scanner in my AO, it's amazing how much stuff ends up skittering around the freeway and damaging vehicles and causing crashes. The main offender is step ladders; usually 2-3 a day reported by Highway Patrol.

That said, I wouldn't mount a shovel or axe up top where it's going to be in the elements, and certainly not using rubber mounts. Once those fail, those implements become deadly road obstructions, or just damage your roof as they flop around.

Is there a better place to mount them inside the vehicle?

I don't think the Quik-Fists could withstand the forces generated in an accident, which is what really matters IMHO. I think the metal clamps to hold shovels, Hi-Lift, etc., are fine, but I would steer away from any rubber mount inside or outside the vehicle. That's just me, I always wear my helmet on my bike and my seatbelt when I drive.

Absolutely do your research with any mounts, inside or outside, on your vehicle. I did.

Thanks guys. the dilemma is that I need something to lay flat because again I can barely clear my garage door as it is.....when I say barely I mean I have probably an inch of clearance if not less. The ones specifically built for my baja rack are way too tall, not even close and many other universal ones has the same issue. Also putting them on the side of the rack would create the same issue, the axe/shovel head would be too tall.

I was thinking to add some hose clamps for extra insurance, what do you guys think? Anything else you guys think would work better?

I know the zip ties are useless and don't get me wrong the quick fists are on there pretty good but I just want to be sure.....

JMHO
The zip ties will out last the rubber and hold tight.
They just contradict the idea of a quick mount.
Just run with it.
I’m guessing you’re getting the overland look you want.
No need to carry that stuff to the mall.

I've used quick fists in the past without issue. To the OP I don't see them having a problem especially since you have your tools laying flat on your rack, so there is no weight that the quickfists need to hold. They only need to keep them on the rack. Mine were holding the tools vertically and had to support the weight of the tools and I didn't have any problems with them for almost 5 years of use.
Maxtrax mount by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

But the "anti-rattle" bracket from DeltaVS is an awesome piece to keep your tools where you want them. I have since swapped out my quick fists for the Delta bracket.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

If it matters minus the Delta mount and maybe a handful of others, when at the Mountain West Expo, these things were everywhere on the rigs there. Mounting just about everything you can think of. I think Broski was spot on though, do you really need it mounted ALL the time?
Not sure I saw any mounted to the shovel handle grip like that though. I would probably rethink that. Their cheap, mount with 3 instead of 2.
Looking closer, you seem to be using it as a strap, not a quick mount. Pretty sure they would say they are NOT intended to use that way. I would certainly re-think that. They are made to mount at the base as someone already mentioned.

JMHO
The zip ties will out last the rubber and hold tight.
They just contradict the idea of a quick mount.
Just run with it.
I’m guessing you’re getting the overland look you want.
No need to carry that stuff to the mall.

Yea it's for a trip this weekend and we're going to be pretty loaded up for it, first trip with her actually!

If it matters minus the Delta mount and maybe a handful of others, when at the Mountain West Expo, these things were everywhere on the rigs there. Mounting just about everything you can think of. I think Broski was spot on though, do you really need it mounted ALL the time?
Not sure I saw any mounted to the shovel handle grip like that though. I would probably rethink that. Their cheap, mount with 3 instead of 2.
Looking closer, you seem to be using it as a strap, not a quick mount. Pretty sure they would say they are NOT intended to use that way. I would certainly re-think that. They are made to mount at the base as someone already mentioned.

Yea true using them more as a strap, you're saying I should run a bolt through them on to something?

Yea true using them more as a strap, you're saying I should run a bolt through them on to something?
They are designed to bolt down, then strap. Here is a link. I don't see it says not to use as a strap tho.:meh:
Honestly, I just started looking into them since cheap and everywhere. No previous experience, I was looking for something to strap the kayak cart to the Delta rear bumper. If it feels solid and you feel good about it go for it, I would replace the zip ties with Velcro for insurance tho lol. I get it for free and have used it many times to strap stuff down in the past :hillbilly:
A few companies offer a metal mount as well. Seems they would be a bit stronger as a mount.

If you want a backup skip the zipties and velcro and go with NRS straps NRS Straps - https://www.nrs.com/straps/c5357. Strong and reusable plus versatile. I've used one to hold together a broken motor mount on a 2F and last week as a band aid when a relay rod separated from pitman arm.

IMG_8668.jpg

Those straps look solid thanks Godwin going to pick some up as insurance!

I had a thought, might be a really stupid thought.

What if I used the OEM rack or rib screws to hold down the quick fists? Might tinker with that today, I'm thinking the rack screws would be too far apart for it to work but the rib screws might work out....

While not ideal, I use black zip ties to hold Quick Fists onto my swing out ladder. They hold a shovel vertically. I run 2 zip ties through each of the two mounting holes around the bars of the ladder. I've never had an issue with the Fists or their ability to hold. I replace the zip ties every Spring as part of regular maintenance. Sorry, no pics - I'm nowhere near the truck for awhile.

I'll also second the blue NRS straps for all sorts of uses. I have some pretty good Amazon copies but they're not what I'd call a "trusted professional quality" piece like my NRS. For highway travel to wheeling spots, I'll wrap an NRS around the shovel or anything else that uses a Fist for a mount, just for redundancy.

Pro Tip: With the NRS straps - like many straps- you're mostly paying for the buckle (but it's a hell of a buckle!). The difference in price as you increase length is small, so buy whatever you find the best deal on and cut it down if you find need for a shorter strap...like the 12'ers I found on clearance for under half price when I was shopping for a 6'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom