Under hood tool box/? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's going to get pretty hot. I would not be surprised if you see close to 300 degree temps in that box.

If you're seeing 300F heat soaking the ancillary components in your engine bay... you have a serious, serious problem and the rest of your rig is dyeing a quick, painful, violent, death... your transmission is overheating, your power steering pump hate you, you likely have coolant boiling, and I bet your shoes are melting to the floor

If you're seeing 300F heat soaking the ancillary components in your engine bay... you have a serious, serious problem and the rest of your rig is dyeing a quick, painful, violent, death... your transmission is overheating, your power steering pump hate you, you likely have coolant boiling, and I bet your shoes are melting to the floor
Even with a v8 conversion I haven't seen temps above 185 anywhere in the engine bay, other than the exhaust components themselves.

Even with a v8 conversion I haven't seen temps above 185 anywhere in the engine bay, other than the exhaust components themselves.
Take it easy, nerds. He meant 300C.

BTW OP, sweet fab skills.

Last edited:
A little off subject here but what isn't on this last page? With those fancy skills, you have the ability to make a sunroof filler/ delete for the 80? I'm not there yet but would consider yanking that heavy SOB and filling it in once it dies or becomes a PITA. Never use it anyway. Maybe color match it to the exterior and epoxy it to the roof from inside to seal? Then there is the non- US spec no sunroof headliner to try to source so you don't have a big gapping hole , maybe not....

I was going to say... you HAVE to be an aircraft sheet metal guy seeing that stuff and using Cleco's

I was an engineer in the ATA Ch53 retrofit and repair for commercial aircraft... the stuff the structural mechanics can fab never ceased to amaze me. Always wish I had sheet metal skills.
Yes, Canadian AME M 1,2 category with extensive sheet metal experience.

A little off subject here but what isn't on this last page? With those fancy skills, you have the ability to make a sunroof filler/ delete for the 80? I'm not there yet but would consider yanking that heavy SOB and filling it in once it dies or becomes a PITA. Never use it anyway. Maybe color match it to the exterior and epoxy it to the roof from inside to seal? Then there is the non- US spec no sunroof headliner to try to source so you don't have a big gapping hole , maybe not....
I could and may someday as I hate sunroofs.

It would be an easy one to do, cut to size, English wheel to curve it up to give strength. Then as always I would add a couple internal stringers to really strengthen it. Flange it and bond with structural adhesive.

From the looks of you avatar you live in the desert.

So maybe in that environment but I doubt 300.

I'm guessing it could hit ~180 on a toasty summer afternoon. Under-hood air temps hit that.

I'm guessing it could hit ~180 on a toasty summer afternoon. Under-hood air temps hit that.
Possibly, that would have no ill effects on anything such as fluids stored in there.

🤔 maybe I could heat food in there😃

Possibly, that would have no ill effects on anything such as fluids stored in there.

Looks like a great burrito warmer.

Absolutely. In fact that would be my primary use. I bet you could bake a whole chicken in there. :hillbilly:

The exhaust manifolds get get close to 1000 degrees. They are in the engine compartment.

Yeah, but this isn't bolted to an exhaust manifold. I tested all over my engine bay at trail and highway speeds in ~85F ambient with an IR thermometer this summer before louvering my hood. Highest temp I saw was ~185F.

I'd assume my bay is hotter with the LT1 and electric fans that don't run constantly than a 1FZ.

The exhaust manifolds get get close to 1000 degrees. They are in the engine compartment.
1000 EGT, yes, manifold won’t get 1000 due to transfer of heat to the head and the abundance of airflow.

There are a lot of videos of engines online turning the headers glowing red.
Yes, at WOT typically being boosted and running at peak efficiency which means on the edge of lean as that’s where most hp is produced.

Also on an engine stand with non focused air flowing over the engine, only focus is airflow through the rad

Don’t make me throw my Heat Transfer text book at you…
I've never done a temperature reading of my engine bay. But it gets very hot. I'm not saying a engine bay gets as hot as manifolds, but manifolds contribute to the heat. Wire loom in my engine bay made of pvc got hot enough to have melted. It was about 12" away from the header.

Last edited:
I've never done a temperature reading of my engine bay. But it gets very hot. I'm not saying a engine bay gets as hot as manifolds, but manifolds contribute to the heat. Wire loom in my engine bay made of pvc got hot enough to have melted. It was about 12" away from the header.

Idk what else to do for you... your anecdotal feelings vs my masters degree in mechanical engineering... go read da book:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom