Builds The Warthog - 1977/73 combo (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have had a little of everything over the last 25 years, these days I like to source from what I have laying around. Just sold an f motor last week( never fails) have lots of chevy drivetrains here as well as an Nv4500. I really want to stay with mr T, so we will see. My tunnel ram 383 stroker sounds fun though!!!

Got the go-ahead email from @FJ40Jim today to start breaking down the Piggie.

A custom hybrid sweet carburetor ships in 7 days for the Warthog.

I nosed it into the sty and snatched out the dissy tonight to ship to him tomorrow so I’ll get a tuned matching pair of carb/recurved dissy back.

In the mean time I’ll prep the Pig for the new lungs and brain.

My flapper is leaking on both ends of the exhaust manifold so I’m pulling it all down for repair.

Pics so I remember how it all looked coming out......

4E52914F-2836-4130-B697-1377E6166DBD.jpeg

862741C7-CFA5-43DD-8506-E573F101E182.jpeg

08DBED9E-4EBA-4E0D-9B3F-BE1522FB0E3D.jpeg

1C80E65D-774D-40BC-A762-2FE44C154C06.jpeg

DE1F5CA4-5591-46F5-8BE7-1019A3ACD7F8.jpeg
One step forward ...... two broken exhaust studs backwards

C7FE5E94-D17B-42B9-A81E-BB35D76410BB.jpeg

I broke the EGR stud a year or so ago but the one stud sealed it up. I need to tap them all out.

Also the flapper is shot. I’m going to pull it out and have the holes braized up.

Got the broken leaking flapper out of the manifold. I’m going to tap the holes and add bolts with brass bushings to clog it up.

@cruiseroutfit is sending me a block off plate so I don’t cook my aluminum over time.

Now I’m going to try to vice grip these broken studs out. If that does not work I’ll drill them out and insert helicoils

571F2F81-A46C-4DFF-92A4-A3E312E88B14.jpeg

0C5EE13A-C72E-434C-B882-6C1AB7ACC715.jpeg

Since it's on the bench, I've had luck heating up the part then putting some wax on the broken studs to melt down, should loosen right up.

Since it's on the bench, I've had luck heating up the part then putting some wax on the broken studs to melt down, should loosen right up.

That’s the kind of awesome I need. So cool. Can’t wait to try that.

I’ve used the wax trick several times. Secrete is to get it just warm enough to melt the wax. Too much heat just drives the wax away. Good luck.

I’ve used the wax trick several times. Secrete is to get it just warm enough to melt the wax. Too much heat just drives the wax away. Good luck.

Do I let the wax run down into the threads? How long to I wait to try to loosen it?

Yeah, the wax will wick it's way between the bolts and manifold. Try it right after you melt the wax.

If the wax doesnt work, find a nut that fits snuggly and weld it in from the middle. The heat cycle from the welding will usually shock the stud enough that it can be backed out. Used that one recently to get a broken water pump stud out of a engine block.

If the wax doesnt work, find a nut that fits snuggly and weld it in from the middle. The heat cycle from the welding will usually shock the stud enough that it can be backed out. Used that one recently to get a broken water pump stud out of a engine block.

So I’m the guy with 4 junk ass Cruisers that does not weld. I have competent friends that do that.

Im going with candle wax on the nipples this afternoon!

So I’m the guy with 4 junk ass Cruisers that does not weld. I have competent friends that do that.

Im going with candle wax on the nipples this afternoon!

Well if that dont get it, then since the manifold is on the bench, it could be easily taken to the shop of one said competent friend for such assistance. That or if you have a torch set you could get similar results by heating the studs up cherry red and then letting them cool. Then a set of vise-grips might back them out, or cut a slit in the top and use a big screwdriver.

Do what you can while you still have some stud sticking out if you can to try and avoid the drilling. At least that'd be my choice because I can never get the bit started dead center and end up effing up threads. If you go that route I'd grind them as flat as possible so you can center punch them to get a decent start. Also left hand drill bits are handy as they will sometimes catch and back out stuck bolts.

A welder would be a great addition to the shop, welding a nut over those studs would work well. i think I've used more than several tricks to get out broken bolts/studs. Sometimes you have to get inventive.

Good Luck!

A welder would be a great addition to the shop, welding a nut over those studs would work well. i think I've used more than several tricks to get out broken bolts/studs. Sometimes you have to get inventive.

Good Luck!

I sold my welder for fear I would trust my shoddy welds but I’m getting more patient. It’s time to reaquire one.

BAE85382-7288-485A-A661-320B845E6D61.jpeg

Candle wax on the nipples worked on one stud.

The second one we welded a bolt on and it broke the stud flush.

I’ll be drilling and helicoiling only one.

B6E53F93-EFC1-4CA9-9516-A27F66FA3CB9.jpeg
CD1DDDA0-0D81-41B9-B4D6-A73D89C7159C.jpeg
A90A76B4-5D02-4E44-899C-7F6B4AD3CB56.jpeg

Wire wheeled the intake. I’m almost ready to reinstall all this stuff.

4Plus Swingout
Also, I made this into a separate thread since most people won’t read a long thread like this one and I want to share my discovery.

I installed a 4Plus 40 series tire carrier on my Pig and it worked!

Thanks Mike @cruisercorps for the OEM wheel delivery to the Crawl.

Here is the thread

Bolt-On Tire Carrier via 4Plus Products

3068B1E1-80D9-4DEE-9B10-C0B8C54791B1.jpeg

Man. That took WAY longer than it should have.

I put a helicoil in it. Were I to do it again I would have straight up tapped it. That was a huge pain in the ass.

5F5F96BE-A779-4D4B-B38C-5C244547BEF0.jpeg
DED0CFBD-B51F-4CCC-8020-1811600C0E72.jpeg

It’s ready to go back in now. I’m waiting on shipping info on my JimC carb and dissy. Hopefully I’ll get it by Saturday.

@scrapdaddy what was the good cutting oil you said I should get?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom