Builds The Warthog - 1977/73 combo (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OME tune up and 4Plus
The Warthog now has quite a few miles on the Cruiser Outfitters OME spring setup. I believe the springs have settled in to the condition they should stay in for a long time.
As with all Cruisers it seems that this one has settled in with a definite driver side list. Mainly in the rear.

If you have been following along for a LONG time since the suspension went on I pulled 3 leafs out of the rear pack to improve the rake and the ride.

Now it looks like I need to put a few back in. This sucker is heavy with that 52 gallon tank back there.

The easiest route will be to add the little guys in the bottom of the pack versus the long one I pulled so that is likely the route I will do.

Here are my shackle angles. They are very conducive to a great ride. I am
Not looking for a lot but I do prefer a level ride.

I’ve ordered some 4Plus flip kits so while those are going in I think I’ll add these back.
49483D77-7E42-49D3-B067-189EEB47C5BA.jpeg

Driver front is a bit more angled than the passenger. Not bad.
C84A1BED-9CED-4504-AA0C-BE8B33339591.jpeg

Passenger front is what I am looking for in a shackle angle.

21DF36D5-F951-4129-B8BC-87226C24E210.jpeg

Passenger rear is also good.
C49B6637-ADEA-4AD5-83A2-306022661CD8.jpeg

Driver rear. That’s where I really noticed the angle a bit more than I prefer. I think I’ll add the lowest two small leafs back in.

The easiest route will be to add the little guys in the bottom of the pack versus the long one I pulled so that is likely the route I will do.

Maybe talk to Kurt and see which would be best to replace, the original leaves that came with the spring packs or like you said the easier ones. To me, taking a pack apart is the same amount of work whether you replace small or large. You only want to do it once.

Yeah. I just added a leaf to the front of my 45 pack. Long one. Total bitch.

The two small ones will be way way easier. Just clamp it all and add them with a longer bolt (since I obsessively cut long ones)

But will the smaller ones give you the same lift that you're looking for?

Well......I think so. Remember the “cruiser lean” kits CCOT sold for years? They were just a spacer.

I don’t think it will give me the arch of a leaf in the middle of the pack but I am going to give it a whirl.

But that’s a good point. Don’t want to do
This s*** twice.

Cruiser Lean, what bizarre phenomenon. I had it with my rear springs and switched them left to right, no lean. Do what you got to do, but count on getting that wagon ready for Pig Party 2021 Black Hills. I want to see you there!

Cruiser Lean, what bizarre phenomenon. I had it with my rear springs and switched them left to right, no lean. Do what you got to do, but count on getting that wagon ready for Pig Party 2021 Black Hills. I want to see you there!
After I put the 62 axles under the 74 Pua'a, it had a DS lean. Tried swapping springs, but nada, still leaned. Didn't used to....hmm...

Looked closely at the (original) 55 housings (which @Cruiser Innovations had done the SOA on back in 2012), and the DS perch is lower than the PS perch. Did an "add a leaf" to the DS, and it leveled out.

"That'll do, pig."

Last edited:
I’m about to replace the mini truck steering box I have for a rebuilt FJ60 box and Ford shock towers.

Do I need to buy a new steering shaft and joints or will the current 55 shaft and joints work?

I’m about to replace the mini truck steering box I have for a rebuilt FJ60 box and Ford shock towers.

Do I need to buy a new steering shaft and joints or will the current 55 shaft and joints work?
I think you need shaft parts?

Will watch & learn...

:popcorn:

I think you need shaft parts?

Will watch & learn...

:popcorn:

Lots of good info here.

My question exactly!

Well I don’t know. But.... the main time I feel the need is when it’s completely loaded with a full tank of gas so maybe the arch of what I have now will get into the small overload leafs and help at the right time

On my 40, 60, 80 and 100 I have airbags for this. Maybe I should order up a set of Boss and be done with it

Well I don’t know. But.... the main time I feel the need is when it’s completely loaded with a full tank of gas so maybe the arch of what I have now will get into the small overload leafs and help at the right time

On my 40, 60, 80 and 100 I have airbags for this. Maybe I should order up a set of Boss and be done with it
Why would you deprive yourself from the fun of changing a leaf spring pack (twice).🤔

I feel the need is when it’s completely loaded with a full tank of gas so maybe the arch of what I have now will get into the small overload leafs and help at the right time

I removed three leaves from mine originally and slowly put them “all” back in one at a time.

With a full tank of fuel (about 50 gallons) and loaded for a long camping trip I could probably use another spring if I had one, after a good portion of the beer and food is consumed and we are down to ¾ tank of fuel it still sits a little butt low but close to level. It drives way better loaded with all the springs back in the pack on the mountain passes, body roll loaded is greatly improved with all the springs back in the pack.

Get some jack stands high enough to rest the frame on with the weight off the axle, u-bolt flip kits, impact the nuts off, blah blah blah. Easy s#*t! Not like you don’t have 15 other Cruisers to drive in the meantime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom