Builds The Warthog - 1977/73 combo (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I clearly don’t know then.
Man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing only Saran Wrap. Psychiatrist says "I can clearly see your nuts."

The s*** that constantly pops into my head from 20-30 years ago drives me nuts. DAMMIT! That led to another...

Pirate walks into a bar, and the bartender asks "Do you know you have a steering wheel in your pants?" Pirate replies "Arrrgghh. It's driving me nuts!"

Last edited:
I'm betting it's not a stock system.
No pic handy but there are factory hangers outside the frame and the remnants of a heat shield (that someone removed with a torch)

So maybe it changed by year?

The only pic I have saved shows inside routing

1612540787785.jpeg

Nolen - sorry for the slight high jack of your thread. I saw the picture of your muffler and it reminded me that my 1969 has an original muffler heat shield on the outside of the frame while my not original but still very rusty muffler is currently routed through the inside of the frame. Since I will be getting a new muffler I have been thinking about the beat/proper routing. I pulled out my F Engine manual and here is what it shows. Interestingly enough the US LHD doesn’t show the frame in the picture. While the non-US version does show the frame with the exhaust system in the outside of the frame. In fact the piping goes from inside to outside back inside and the outside again which seems not a very efficient routing.

59B3913C-78BE-4716-9262-7DE8C8BCA1F7.jpeg

image.jpg

Yeah I see zero reason to run it out of the frame but I bet it has something to do with all that dopey 3 on the tree mechanical
Mine is 3 on the floor but I do have the super dopey vacuum H-N-L 4WD pull out knob system.

Nolen - sorry for the slight high jack of your thread. I saw the picture of your muffler and it reminded me that my 1969 has an original muffler heat shield on the outside of the frame while my not original but still very rusty muffler is currently routed through the inside of the frame. Since I will be getting a new muffler I have been thinking about the beat/proper routing. I pulled out my F Engine manual and here is what it shows. Interestingly enough the US LHD doesn’t show the frame in the picture. While the non-US version does show the frame with the exhaust system in the outside of the frame. In fact the piping goes from inside to outside back inside and the outside again which seems not a very efficient routing.

View attachment 2576631

View attachment 2576633
My 72 was on the outside of the frame Looked just like the picture, also the skid plate was different no indent for exhaust. My 2 cents

Shackle Reversal
In the category of all pigs are ****ed and nothing off the shelf ever works as advertised........

Remember back when I was going to trim the lip off my front fenders because the 35’s were rubbing?

Well I started talking to Voodoo about his shackle reversal. Advertised at Man A Fre as a 1.5” lift. I was sagging a bit in the front anyway so I grabbed a shackle reversal kit and some donkey dong long anti inversion shackles for the rear to pick it all up 1.5” for my new meats.

Getting the front hangers off on a 55 is fun as they are fully welded.

I tacked the fronts on and put weight back on the truck

8CF9A789-93AE-470E-9324-85F0867AECE7.jpeg

BE560406-5790-40A7-A666-FBF0DE1F47F8.jpeg

33CB5B45-D3F3-474A-99AA-191FEE760C22.jpeg

D01AD4A9-8A35-4AB4-98C2-63A1C29A55E5.jpeg

The MAF setup is slick because the rear shackles they sell make it where you don’t have to do any fab back there

In theory

Not 1.5” lift here but 4”....... this just went from a 1/2 day job to a lot of head scratching.

Back to the drawing board......

04550A7A-7B67-414A-A646-07E27E67790F.jpeg

3AEEF406-0036-44D4-A506-8A560A6E660B.jpeg

B67E8A2C-DA9E-487A-AFA3-856AED866FDD.jpeg

EED10838-9958-46A8-8EF8-5AD609ABA08C.jpeg

BEA6398F-7886-41C1-86C7-F80FC17045BE.jpeg

Back to the drawing board......
Just to make this more fun than you are already having…..

You should look at moving your axle forward about an inch, the factory fixed rear eye moves the tire forward on compression and now you will move your tire rearward on compression, a 35” tire is going to be close to that rear lip in your ditch test if you are turning into it.

Just to make this more fun than you are already having…..

You should look at moving your axle forward about an inch, the factory fixed rear eye moves the tire forward on compression and now you will move your tire rearward on compression, a 35” tire is going to be close to that rear lip in your ditch test if you are turning into it.

To be a little fair to this “kit” I had already cheated the front 1.5” forward but even if I moved it to the stock spot there is zero chance this would settle

Where my thumb is is the stock center line

I just need to put a shackle hanger up on the frame and 86 all this fancy rear shackle MAF sent

AEE344E9-6012-425D-B4E2-70B1B972D9B2.jpeg

Do the front u-bolt flips allow you to move the axle forward an inch? I know the rears allow you to move the axle, but couldn't remember if the fronts do too. So if you find you do need to move it forward that would be an easy solution (as long as your driveshaft has enough slip to handle the added length)

To be a little fair to this “kit”
Yeah I'm not a fan of that kit but if I was going to try to make it work I would pull all the leaves out of my pack and cycle the suspension before I welded everything permanent.

I’m not sure what they were thinking with this kit though. I get what the concept of trying to reuse the fixed hanger using this custom shackle but there is no way this would ever have proper geometry for a 1.5” lift

Voodoo sent me pics of his setup and the front is the same as mine but the rear uses a standard H shackle and it’s not even very long.

If it was easy it would be an FJ80.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom