The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest discoveries of unavailability - all 80 series factory tail light housing revisions (there are at least four for LH and RH). LH 81560-60250 up to -60253 and RH 81550-60330 up to -60333.

None of those tail light housings are available in the US market. They are for your market. Those part numbers include the sub-harnesses as well. And the US versions: 81550-60321//81560-60321 are indeed discontinued as a full assembly...

BUT... :)

81565-60241//81555-60321 are the sub-harnesses and they are quite readily available separately here in the US market.

81551-60320//81561-60240 are the lens assemblies themselves and they are quite readily still available here in the US market.

Let me know if you want some of these and I can assist in getting them to you in Oz.

:cheers:

And another one bites the dust....

23807-66020 1FZ-FE fuel rail.

I bought the last 7 available.

F9E1CE02-3D37-4D8D-B0DB-72C563B78B14.jpg

Again, as a reminder, A343F transmissions are still available from Toyota. :)

The parts master system will show no available stock in the US because these are remanufactured per order. That's why the drones in part departments say "discontinued" or "none in the US. We can't get you any" :rolleyes: Clowns.

AWTEC in Michigan ( AWTEC|Remanufacturing Transmissions for OEMs (Toyota, GM, Nissan, Hyundai etc.)) will remanufacture these for sale to the dealer. General turn around is about 5-7 days. I've ordered over 10 of these this year. Here is the most recent one. If there are no cores available for remanufacture, Toyota will provide a new transmission in a reman part number box. This unit will come directly from Japan.

%DuXGFvWSd2ABQlzzA6dEg.jpg

25F40494-C55C-4BC5-8219-1C1DDC2E0C53.jpg

The date code below: 12/14/1997 is the manufacture date of the main case assy. A late A343F for 1FZ application.

MB5ZqvcjSA6Khbad7nEYEg.jpg

Register assy, intsrament panel No. 1 - 55650-60010 - The single register to the left of the control yoke.

It sucks when critical compponents such as this one get killed off.:crybaby:

I want to say something mean but I like you and know that it isn’t your fault. And frankly, the fact that they supported such a limited number of vehicles for this long is something to be happy about...
I've got to agree with you, compared to other car and truck manufacturers Toyota has done a fantastic job of supporting these trucks. Most other manufacturers only support their cars and trucks with factory replacement parts for 10 years after the date of manufacture if your lucky. In our case we had a very limited number of 80 series trucks delivered to the U.S. market, and were still able to buy new factory replacement parts for them, in my book that's outstanding support for a quarter century old truck. YMMV

There needs to be some clarification here to what's being said.

There are a number of factors that come into play in the discontinuation of a part with the biggest one being demand.

Let's remember that Toyota is in the business of making money, and so are Toyota's suppliers (Tier 1 companies on down). If they are not making money on the sale of a part (it's "movement") then Toyota discontinues it-- regardless of what vehicle it's for.

So an air intake hose (17881-66060 or 17881-66080) for example, has a much better chance of being available for a longer period of time than say the 22250-66050 MAF for the 1FZ because of the following criteria:

1. Cost to manufacture: (molded rubber hose is imminently cheaper than an electro-mechanical sensor)
  2. Necessity to manufacture (10 year rule for OEMs)
  3. Demand (rubber deteriorates faster than electro-mechanical components)
  4. Manufacturing requirements of said parts (rubber vs. an integrated electro-mechanical sensor)

As such, there are plenty of rubber hoses sitting on shelves in North American parts depots while there are currently 0 MAF's in North American supply since I just bought the last three in stock. :)

That said, there are certain things to remember as well...

The 80 series was a "world" vehicle vs. a region-specific/market-specific vehicle. While it's manufacture was discontinued in 1997 for most markets, other markets continued to receive the 80 series in CKD form (Complete Knock Down Kit)-- basically a parts car assembled in a regional manufacturing facility with a certain % of parts locally procured. This was the case for the 80 series manufacture in Venezuela.

So, ostensibly the last year of manufacture for the 80 series was 2005 and the last year of manufacture for the 1FZ engine family was actually 2009 (FZJ7x iterations).

2009 was ten years ago.

We will see a rapid reduction in both 80 series parts and more specifically 1FZ engine series parts moving forward as the normal 10 year parts production requirement is now over for this engine.

Of course, the aftermarket can step-in and provide replacements that are generally manufactured for a fraction of the OEM part and are, unfortunately, also of much less quality. And this is for most things, not ALL things-- there has to be a market.

So as an example say the MAF (what’s this part for?) I’m seeing maf (22250-66050) on eBay for about $100-$200 used and $850 brand new. What’s the ideal price for this part? And are there any aftermarkets?

MAF= Mass Air Flow meter. A reasonably important piece to making your engine run.

There is no "ideal" price for any part. Part pricing is based on thousands of possible factors when considering the grand scheme of economies of scale, manufacturing operations, supply and demand, etc. We are getting into global manufacturing economics here and I know of exactly one other person in the Land Cruiser world who I can sit and have a conversation like this about part numbers. :lol:

In any event, for Toyota new OEM parts, there is a MSRP set by Toyota for each country/region that the part is sold in. In the US market if you went to get the part from a Toyota dealer, the MSRP is $1112.77. A dealer can sell it for whatever price they want or whatever a specific market will bear. Toyota makes no rules as to what price a dealer has to sell a part at. There is of course a "cost" at which the dealer will buy the part from Toyota. Generally speaking, one doesn't sell a part for less than it costs.

For used parts, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for said part. Nothing more, nothing less.

For aftermarket parts, the manufacturer would set a price from $0 to whatever they feel it is worth to sell it at and what the market will bear.

Does that clarify things for you?

I usually shop parts at Norwalk Toyota and they also list the MAF at $750+. i think there was a def price jump as of late.

I also just checked inventory at ama and they have a few to sell out of UAE and jpn.

View attachment 1915988

Trust me. There are currently 0 left in the US and 0 left in the UAE as well.

Also, those inventories are very elastic and not real time. Not even close to real time. They are "possible" suppliers.

It does but I’m saying that a $800 part new for an suv that you can buy used for about $3000 becomes a costly endeavor, no?

Also in your opinion for the 100 series/lx470 series since the last ones produced were in 2007 in the US, when do you roughly project parts to become scarce? Is it around the 10,20,25,30 year mark?

Everything having to do with OEM Toyota parts and Land Cruisers is costly. Make sure to wrap your head around that as well. The cost of ownership of a Land Cruiser gets MORE expensive the older it gets, not cheaper.

My opinion? Not worth the paper it's written on.

@beno I don't want to clog up this thread but a question I've always wondered.

It seems quite amazing to me the sheer number of parts for all cruisers still available from Toyota - I remember on for my 40 being able to get wheel cylinders for all sides for like NZ$20.

So to my question - do you know how Toyota balances their supply chain? Is there a magical warehouse somewhere full of all sorts of goodies? Did they make a giant run of parts during a vehicle's production run and when they're gone they're gone? Or are they constantly making parts (even for comparatively ancient vehicles) based on some sort of forecast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom