Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All of the fluids were nasty. I’m glad to have that done.

The exhaust is shot. Holes all in it.
20890B1C-45B1-42E9-9ED1-3E720903F849.jpeg

E5811B4B-2428-43DE-BD6B-BA1434AC5F0D.jpeg

Next thing was to get these god awful wheels and tires off. I borrowed some 255/85-16 Yokohamas on City Racer 16’s from my upcoming FJ45 project and slapped them on to see if I like the width or if I want to go a bit wider

When I pulled the rear caps off I found the rear is Full Float which is awesome.
96992DB1-CF7A-44FA-BD1E-14DBE539AFF4.jpeg

These things were glued on with rust. I had to cut both sides off

👍Nice truck! I would love to have that 5 speed in my '94. Like to experience the difference from the auto with the 1fz. Since towing a trailer I'd like to select the gear, not some module deciding what gear to be in. Same while off road and using low range. I like the color with no flares and the Geolanders!

Very cool 80.
I am betting that since the truck is spec'd as a 3f, there is just a screen and pick up in the tank. Like the 1fz-f in an 80 there should have been a mechanical pump on the engine. When the swap to efi was done someone assumed that walbro was good enough but since it isn't pumping from the source and pulling so much, it is overheating. I imagine you could drop a 1fz-fe pump in the tank and solve your problems. Or convert back to a 3f for originality, then put one of Cam's sniper kits on it ;)

Thanks for the schwag and the 55 gem today too!

20200627_144506.jpg

Spec‘d like the JDM one I just got. I’d love to find a pintle hook for the rear of mine. What are the specs on those tires? My 35x12.5 look too small after I put on the Kut Snake flares.

Spec‘d like the JDM one I just got. I’d love to find a pintle hook for the rear of mine. What are the specs on those tires? My 35x12.5 look too small after I put on the Kut Snake flares.

These are 33x9.50 equivalent. 255/85-16

I think I’m going to go the same height and 1” wider.

DE5C3227-B9AF-4D8A-8149-6170B89C6C4C.jpeg

Went and checked this out today and it’s even better in person.... I thought I was over 80 envy

That just further confuses my timeline

View attachment 2353716View attachment 2353717

Looks like it was imported

View attachment 2353718
First Serviced in Saudi
View attachment 2353719

Then this sticker as to going to a new engine (or just top end) from carbureted 3F to 3FE

I’m going to try Champaign Imports next week. See if they remember. Worth a shot. Only reference I found on Mud is this

View attachment 2353721

My guess is it was sold in Saudi Arabia, (or possibly direct from Toyota to the US govt with GCC spec) and straight away imported to the US to get it US compliant before going to Saudi for its tour of duty.

Check out the first few pics on my 80 project in my sig. Everything is similar to your GX, except mine had a 1HZ diesel and no jump seats. Other than that, no discernible differences.

There might be another scenario. When I looked up Lamar Stewart, in Louisiana this came up. https://www.linkedin.com/in/lamar-stewart-20608a92
Greenwell springs is just out of Baton Rouge. He apparently worked for Aramco at some point/points. I wonder if the fellow bought it overseas and then brought it back and forth. In the good ole days Aramco would do all sorts of stuff to sweeten the deal to get people. He might be a person to contact for the story.

I spent the morning reading @boozewz threads on his 62 and 80. Great reads. He does not play when it comes to mods.

Question......these wheels you put on your 80 at first before the 70 steelies......

These look almost identical to the split rim that came off this truck.

Any idea what wheel this is from?

1CD487BE-C91B-41F9-9725-6483428B8445.jpeg

I spent the morning reading @boozewz threads on his 62 and 80. Great reads. He does not play when it comes to mods.

Question......these wheels you put on your 80 at first before the 70 steelies......

These look almost identical to the split rim that came off this truck.

Any idea what wheel this is from?

View attachment 2354836

Those look like Hi-Lux rims.

You can buy them direct from Alibaba, you only need to order 100. But good news is they are only $17.80 each. haha.

Considering all the projects @wngrog has been doing lately, he'd go through those in no time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom