Builds Saudi Arabia: 1982 FJ45 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boozewz

SILVER Star
Threads
So about two months ago, I thought my near 6 year quest to find a clean troopy came to an end as I spotted an immaculate looking one in the mountainous southern region of Saudi Arabia. It was too clean, and the asking price was not something I was willing to part with. The south of Arabia is a known area to find cruisers in excellent condition, because of the zero humidity and lack of salt water presence, which makes rust least likely to be a factor, and also because of the year round pleasant weather conditions. (elevation is between 6k-7k ft). Jeddah, my hometown is loaded with old FJ40 and FJ45 pickups, but all are found with heaps of rust in them, due to the sea level conditions.

Below is a pic of the troopy I found at an auction yard that day in the south. I tried to negotiate the price down, and was told flat out "No chance mate".....The rig had only arrived a day before, and they didnt expect it to stay for more than 3 to 4 days tops. Landcruisers in Saudi hold their value; and troopy's are rare as it is, so one in good shape just made it harder to nail down a reasonable price.

Desponded, I snapped a pic of it, and made my way home, about 1000km away.:frown:

Next to it are 2 X FJ45 Pickups
IMG01226-20110321-1720.jpg

A few days later, I called the auction dude up and told him thats it, I am ready to buy at your asking price; his answer was sorry, its been sold:crybaby:

Lo and behold, two months later, my wonderful mrs surprises me on my birthday with this:princess::
201106103.jpg

I just could not believe what she had done! She had actually tracked down the dude at the auction, and made him an offer the day after I had gotten back from that trip. They had sold it to her! What a superstar she is. I honestly dont know how I am gonna get her back on that one.

But for now, lets have a look at the cruiser.

The front
201106101.jpg

The rear
201106106.jpg

2F engine, with a H41 Tranny
2011061017.jpg

Interior/dashboard
2011061029.jpg

Speedo....Most '80 to '83 models that I have seen around Saudi have clocked between 100k to 150k kms. So this is possible. It could also have been tampered with:confused:
2011061030.jpg

Pedals
2011061032.jpg

Switches and radio
2011061031.jpg

Glove box
2011061033.jpg

Front seats.....the PO was definitely a farmer!
2011061028.jpg

Rear section and bench seats
2011061034.jpg

More pics:

The small storage section
2011061024.jpg

The bottle jack lever and extensions, plus lug wrench
2011061025.jpg

Some rust on the fenders. Perhaps only surface rust
2011061011.jpg

The rear doors had a bit of rust as well
2011061015.jpg

Both driver and passenger footwells need a touch of work
2011061012.jpg

So......my next step is to order a set of 2" light duty OME lift, I've already got a set of 255/85/16 BFG KM2s lying around which I'll throw on the splits. I reckon the rig needs new engine mounts, a new 2.5" exhaust, some of the rust needs to come out, and the seats will get a re upholster. Oh, and some seat belts:doh:

Stay tuned for updates!

That's an awesome story!

That's definitely a keeper! I probably wouldn't let the wife get away either!

Looks like you're in a very nice part of Jeddah!

Based on the brake pedal pad wear I would guess the mileage is correct. That is a very nice troopy you have.

Perhaps you can answer a question other folks in SA have been unable or unwilling to. Do you know what the vehicle export laws are in SA? Is a normal citizen allowed to export a vehicle such as your troopy to a buyer in the US? How about parts vehicles in "junk yards" that may be missing engines or other parts? Is there some exorbitant tax or laws prohibiting the export of parts or entire vehicles?

Thanks

That thing is awesome! And just for clarification, that scratched off paint does not mean rust! I didn't see any rust on that thing! :p

Just out of curiousity, I thought Toyota did away with the cowl vent long before the 82 model year. Did different markets still get the cowl vents? Anyone know?

:cheers:

She is definately a keeper! she is so cool!...Wish we all had one like her... Oh and the cruiser is awsome too!

Good heavens! I'm envious about more than just the troopy.

How about a picture of your fantastic :princess:!

:D

And isn't your username rather out-of-place for living in that neck of the woods?

:beer:

Wow! Very Nice! Great story, too....:clap:

Must be nice to live where you can pass on a 45 because of PRICE. They quit shipping the LWB to the states in '69. Never did send us the 43.:mad:

Know that we hate you. . .in a good way. :flipoff2:

Wow that truck is a great find :steer: (and so is your missus :clap: - nice one)

A great starting point for an awesome rebuild/restoration :grinpimp:

Thanks for the kind comments fellas! Much appreciated....I think I'll be spending more time thinking of a way to return the favour back to the mrs than on restoring this rig:hmm:

Based on the brake pedal pad wear I would guess the mileage is correct. That is a very nice troopy you have.

Perhaps you can answer a question other folks in SA have been unable or unwilling to. Do you know what the vehicle export laws are in SA? Is a normal citizen allowed to export a vehicle such as your troopy to a buyer in the US? How about parts vehicles in "junk yards" that may be missing engines or other parts? Is there some exorbitant tax or laws prohibiting the export of parts or entire vehicles?

Thanks

Saudi is filled with junk yards of old cruiser parts. I know for a fact we can export complete used parts/components (engines, trannys etc), but I am not sure about breakdown parts. A friend of mine exports to neighboring gulf states no problem. I think junk/s**** parts may be tougher. Also will US laws accept used parts entering their shores?

Good heavens! I'm envious about more than just the troopy.

How about a picture of your fantastic :princess:!

:D

And isn't your username rather out-of-place for living in that neck of the woods?

:beer:

I dont know what your talking about:p:beer:....of course we dont mind a nice cold one by a fire in the desert after a good day of wheeling. :censor:

Must be nice to live where you can pass on a 45 because of PRICE. They quit shipping the LWB to the states in '69. Never did send us the 43.:mad:

Know that we hate you. . .in a good way. :flipoff2:

The troopys and 43's are rare and very hard to find here. On the other hand, the FJ40, 60, 62, and 80s are available in abundance. And I suspect Toyota didnt start importing the FJ40 pre '79. And if they did, then there arent any around.

Wow that truck is a great find :steer: (and so is your missus :clap: - nice one)

A great starting point for an awesome rebuild/restoration :grinpimp:

Thanks. The question I have for you guys, and sorry if I offend any of the purist out there: Do I keep the look stock? Restore it to its original state? I've yet to order the lift kit, so I'm having an internal debate there:confused:

depends on what YOU want, the value will be retained if kept stock
but
if stock doesn't fit your need then you modify it till it does.

me
i would keep it stock since it truely is a survivor and these old girls are getting harder and harder to find in this condition
but
that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom