A 1990 HZJ80 mini-refurb from Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boozewz

SILVER Star
Threads
The first cruiser I ever rode in was when my folks bought a brand new petrol 80 series in 1991. It was white, had cloth seats, barn doors, flares, a 5 speed box, a cooler console, and a forward facing 3rd row seat. It was also the first time I learned to drive, along the beaches on the coast of Saudi Arabia. Thats when I got bitten by the 4 wheeling bug. A few years later, much to the dismay of my younger brother and I, our older brother totaled it late one night, and the insurance wrote it off. We were more concerned about the cruiser than the state of our brother, who actually turned out to be fine. There went our weekend beach driving, and our longing for a vehicle in our household with a manual box continued for many years as the 80 was never replaced.

22 years later, my younger drops a hint that we really ought to find one similar to it, and restore it. I had had my mind set on my next cruiser being a diesel, and with that, the search for a HZJ80 was on the cards. These are hard to find, as 99% of the 80 series' imported into Saudi were petrol engined, and most all of the diesels were used as work vehicles, hence in bad shape. I scoured the auction websites for several months but came up empty. One day luck had it, and a 1990 HZJ80 was located. I called up the owner and he turned out to be in the north, some 1800km away in a town called Al Majma'h. Thats some distance, and I really could not be bothered to make the trek, with a new baby now at home. I spoke to a colleague at work who loves his cars, and explained my predicament. He mentioned that his son's brother in law lives in Riyadh, and would be able to arrange to check out the truck and email me his findings. Great!

A week or so later, all signs came back that the truck is in decent nick, has a good motor, no body rust, and drives well. It had 470,000km on the odo. The owner was a 25 year old kid who works at the Ministry of Commerce, and had bought it from his uncle, who was the original owner, and used it mostly to commute weekly from Riyadh to his village near Al Majma'h. The central region of Saudi is arid, with no humidity, so vehicles that tend to come from there have minimal rust. Money was sent, paper work exchanged, and the truck was put on a transporter to Jeddah.

My plans were simple. (Arent they always like that!). Give her a good clean, a simple 2" OME lift, some new rubber, and perhaps a Safari snorkel. She's going to be my new daily driver.

And without further ado, here are the pics.

Here she was when I was sent the pics during the initial test drive

Last edited:

Ripping out the carpet

Electric windows

Seats will be getting upholstered. These do not seem to be original

In the glove box

The radio doesnt work. The AC does, but is moody and on some days does not.

Missing fuse box cover. Pedals look OK for that amount of distance covered.

Altimeter not functioning, and sub tank gauge is either empty or full, depending or where it feels like it!

The venerable 1HZ diesel motor. It has been in production for 22 years, and is Toyota's longest serving motor to date.

Its basic design, followed by no a frills fueling system, allows it to work in any environment, regardless of the fuel quality and can be repaired by anyone with a hammer and a wrench.

A true bush engine.

It has a dual factory battery set up. Check out the mini service station the PO left for me

The motor is not known for its power or exceedinly high torque figures. Reliability is its forte, and it ticks over nicely for a very long time in very harsh conditions.

As long as its looked after well.

I wish more guys posted pics of the Trucks we never see in the U.S. Super Cool!

Thanks for the story and pics.:clap: It's been rode hard and put away dirty a whole lot, but looks like she is ready for lots more adventure. A good cleaning will work wonders, although I understand the dust.

In part, because my father was stationed at Dhahran in 55-56 in the USAF. Always good to see something I heard about, but didn't really have many images of before the internet. I enjoy how it brings us all closer in a sometimes difficult world.:)

Man you have a huge garage.. love your rigs.. very nice assortment.. post more pics.. tnks

Agreed on what a stunning garage buddies this one now has.

Love the differences in your rig to the US rigs. The single back fold down seat, the rear barn doors, and most of all that diesel. Even the grill!!! love it.

Thanks for the images, and good luck with the build.

Cheers.

Thanks fellas for the kind words.

So the snag list today read as follows:

- Speedo not working
- Tacho not working
- AC is on some days, off others
- Brakes feel weak
- Seats are filthy
- Left rear window does not open.

Set out to the junkyard to get as much as I could. These places are loaded with 80 series, but at the same time the wrecks are pretty bad, and we've had some serious flooding a few years ago and the area where the yard sits was the worst hit areas in town, so theres not much salvageable from there unless its non electrical related items.

Came back with a new instrument cluster, a cover for the rear tool storage box, and a electric window motor for the rear left window

Also picked up a battery tray as the current one's plastic casing has cracked in half. Found this mounted inside a petrol 80, and bolted into the inner fender.

Upon opening the instrument cluster, I found a slight difference between the one from the FZJ80 I pulled out, and the one on my truck which is below.

I posted the question up here on mud, and the response was the odo on top is for the timing belt change light. Supposdly once it hits 90,000km, the timing belt light comes on:hmm:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/675837-hzj80-instrument-cluster.html

Went and had the brake pads changed. These were pretty gone, and the front discs may be a bit worn down and warped.

Not so good news was the junkyard cluster gauge was a dud, as nothing worked except it would just light up when the ignition was on.

My next issue was trying to figure out the problem of the fuel injection pump. I discovered that there are two pumps that were available for the 1HZ. One with the tacho pickup sensor, and one without. The one with, has a bolt threaded hole in the back of the housing that allows you to screw in the sensor. Mine did not have one, yet the cluster came with a RPM tacho gauge. Either two things happened: The truck originally came with a tacho pick up sensor on the FIP, and the PO had the FIP changed at some point and a non tacho pick up FIP was installed. Or, the truck originally came with the poverty pack set up (no tacho gauge), and the PO fitted in a cluster gauge with a tacho in the hope that it would work. Either way, something is not right.

This will be something that bothers me for a while.

Started removing the seats and carpet.

This stuff is horrible. Grease and sand mixed together. Looks like a dead carcass

I've always been allergic to mud flaps :p

Some new goodies arrived from the Toyota dealer. To put things in perspective, Toyota has roughly 50% of the auto market here in Saudi, and they have been the dominant car brand for the last 30 odd years. In fact in remote areas, away from the urban sprawl, I would venture out to say that every 9 in 10 cars on the road is a Toyota. Saying that Land Cruisers are everywhere is an understatement, and the 80 series has a very strong following until this day.

Needless to say, the dealer has everything in stock. And if not, in 3 weeks it'll be over from Japan.

The existing headlight casing has been blasted by nearly 400,000km of sand.

One thing about having a clean shop floor is you wont miss anything. A sign of things to come:meh:

New goodies installed. Just missing a new diesel emblem.:p

I work at the CAT dealership, and I managed to talk the shop into sparing 30mins on the weekend to do a compression test on the motor. The perks of the job:D

Remove the glow plugs, and put in a pressure gauge to measure the PSI coming out of the piston compression stroke.

Each cylinder is tested individually.

The glow plug

This diesel donk scored between 405 and 450 psi on each cylinder.

Still within spec (526psi max, 389psi min), not bad after all the mileage its done.

Only a new motor will give you 526psi, or a completely rebuilt one.

The fuel pump cut out solenoid, which needs to be disconnected to carry out the test turned out to be spliced together with electrical tape by the PO.

So we took the opportunity to tidy it up and crimp the ends.

Spotted this when doing the cut out test. After reading the service manual, we deduced that it could be the elusive tacho pick up connection from the firewall. This rig came with a tacho from the factory after all.

Last edited:
My buddy Mcladin was kind enough to lend me some tools to get cracking on the interior clean and paint job. I wanted to give it extra protection from the inevitable rust that comes by being close to the sea

This is not his shop. Its his living room

The goodies on loan

Picked these up from the local paint store

Began the unenviable task of cleaning up all the interior funk

The truck was in very good shape

Paint prep

The first coat of sub base

Got the inner fenders done

Then the final coat

Went it and did the axles too, as most of the factory paint was blasted off from all that highway driving done in the remote areas

Swung by the local ARB dealer and picked up a set of 2" OME springs, and some shocks

Got some new steelies from a local wheel shop. Gotta love the space in the back of the troopy!

Our steelies getting prepped for paint. Going with matte black finish

Next up was cleaning up the dead carcass...sorry, carpet.

And finally we have a clean interior:bounce:

Went for the tried and trusted local hardware store home door mats for the floors

These are very useful for keeping the sand in a confined area

Not long after, the seats came back from the upholstering shop. Reasonably happy with the outcome, even though they're going to be covered with seat covers

And finally had the door panels re done for next to nothing

Notice the non functioning speakers still protruding from under the covers. These will be replaced in due course once I figure out what speaker set up I want...

And last pic for today, slapped on the 255/85/16 (33 X 10) BFG KM2 on the steelies. I have a thing for pizza cutters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom