The FJ55 Weatherstrip Guide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is original 1970 whether strip. It is a flat return flap. Also the corner at the top of the strike side of the jamb is more of a square corner allowing the door weather strip to kiss the jamb weather strip.
4E9B9B0F-B48C-4CE4-A667-94027602270F.jpeg
575160BF-471C-4513-BB84-68EDF9A0B665.jpeg

The weather strip with bulb attached (supplied by SOR, Amazon and others) to the vinyl edging is 1/2“ in diameter. I have found that when the door has to crush 12 LF of said bulb, there is a lot more resistance then one realizes. Hence slamming the doors will but inevitable stress on the window frames that we know to be a weak link.
If one uses this bulb version it might work better to cut one side of the bulb so that it works more like the original flat return type allow much less force needed to close the door. Similar to original.
On amazon there is also the same bulb type withe a 3/8” diameter bulb.
(no not patronizing Amazon)
3E009FE1-20EB-408B-9011-240FDF256ADE.jpeg

This cut will allow the crushing of the bulb 50% easier an less stressful on the door/window frames

This is a 1977 showing how the upper corner of the strike side of the jamb Is more of a rounded corner that doesn’t match up with the sharp window/door weather strip. Don’t know what my 77 original had but in in the thread (just get it drivable) there was a pic of a 77 withe the original WS on it.

Since the door fit tolerances on my 77 doors are pretty snug I just don’t think the 1/2” bulb is going to crush easily hence I would slice the bulb open. Also the fit at the upper corner strike side doesn’t match the door.

20707D7B-7C73-4C40-99E5-58567646D35C.jpeg

The weather strip that is on the doors (none on the jambs) of my 77 fits snugly to the jambs of all my doors except for a small section of the drivers door. To solve the wind noice and draft I did the following
Still not discounting the use of the bulb type but if it ant broke don’t fix it.

hope bit of spew it of value

E297108D-88C2-44F0-9BAE-AFB4B0BC6EF9.jpeg

5E949DA2-2FF5-4C4B-BA5C-368BB37A1F43.jpeg

28663DF4-9A31-41E1-B206-E7BF49DCB726.jpeg

Hello all. I’ve had the pleasure of driving the new to us pig quite a bit lately and man if the window rattle on our gravel roads isn’t horrible! I’ve seen that folks used to use the JC Whitney window felt with some mods. It appears this is no longer available??

what are folks using these days for the window felts?
Thank you!

I used this for mine. FAIRCHILD 06348 Door Window Glass Channel from RockAuto.com.

Hello all. I’ve had the pleasure of driving the new to us pig quite a bit lately and man if the window rattle on our gravel roads isn’t horrible! I’ve seen that folks used to use the JC Whitney window felt with some mods. It appears this is no longer available??

what are folks using these days for the window felts?
Thank you!

Thanks NikP! It’s even in stock. Ordering it now

like the way you spell your name as well!
NikW

@NikP just to clarify. Was the Fairchild 06348 the rubber/felt piece the attaches between the glass and the outside of the door or the rubber/felt the sits between the window and the inside of the door?

thanks again for the tip.

@NikP just to clarify. Was the Fairchild 06348 the rubber/felt piece the attaches between the glass and the outside of the door or the rubber/felt the sits between the window and the inside of the door?

thanks again for the tip.
Neither. I mis understood what you were looking for. This is the channel that the glass rides up and down in the track.

For the wiper seals I didn't try to re-use the little round clips that hold the wiper seal. I did a glue-on version and they have worked well.

Part # 70-3804-61 Outer Beltline and 70-0961-60 Weatherstrip Beltline from Steele Rubber Products.

You can see it on my post #406. Builds - My New Project - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-new-project.522048/page-21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom