Target carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @Ol Yeller , Yes happy wife happy life! I already have two batteries and fitting anymore is out of the question at this point in the build or yes more battery storage would be a fast easy solution.

Some battery geekiness, I run two of the ODYSSEY 34/78 batteries and they can handle 400 charge-discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge similar to a deep cycle but still have extremely high cranking amps.
34-78.jpg

The little Webasto heater plus the interior fan running on high pulls ~5.5-6.5 amps and on my ODYSSEY chart that would net about 10 hours of run time but unless it’s down blow 0° outside I can’t see having to run it like this. The little Webasto heater plus the interior fan running on med will heat the cab ~ 30° over outside temps in about an hour then you need to turn it down before it will run you out of there, in this mode it pulls ~2.5-3.2 amps and looking at my chart would net somewhere around of ~20 hours of continuous run time. When camping we will run lights, listen to the radio and charge our electronic devices so I would like to build a known safety margin into those numbers so I don’t need amp/volt meters hooked up to monitor when camping. Basically I want an idiot proof system so I can set it and forget it then get back to drinking beer and staring at the stars when camping.

I can limp thru some C++; got an Arduino sensing the mag switch of my joint press's pneumatic ram to interrupt the compress stroke...you're going to need to patch pieces of code together to do what you're describing, might already be a working code for this...after the code, you need a relay or relays to open and close the circuit to the battery, you'll need a thermistor to measure temp, and maybe a few other bits. you can prolly use a 12 volt relay shield that simply plugs onto the Arduino, but you'll need to verify the power supply is able to take the peaks and valleys of the alternator...look at the ruggeduino, by rugged circuits- it has a lot more robust voltage regulator and can handle a wider voltage window. talk to the bigger hobby shop guys in your area...robotics has got a lot of resources in these arenas.

Well true to form my timing is impeccable (I ordered a bunch of parts last night to experiment with) but like the board you linked better than what I ordered.

Looking at the C++ it doesn’t seem too bad to get some basic programs loaded up but like you said patching pieces of code together is getting above my pay grade.

I ordered a,

Sparkfun digital humidity and temperature sensor, SparkFun Humidity and Temperature Sensor Breakout - Si7021 - SEN-13763 - SparkFun Electronics

SparkFun Beefcake Relay Control Kit, SparkFun Beefcake Relay Control Kit (Ver. 2.0) - KIT-13815 - SparkFun Electronics

SparkFun Bluetooth Mate Gold, SparkFun Bluetooth Mate Gold - WRL-12580 - SparkFun Electronics

SparkFun RedBoard - Programmed with Arduino, SparkFun RedBoard - Programmed with Arduino - DEV-13975 - SparkFun Electronics

And a bunch of other sparky bits to make it work, the SparkFun RedBoard is supposed to run on 7 to 15VDC so I hope that will get me through testing then I think I’ll look into the ruggeduino board as a permanent solution.

Thank you for the reply.

I'm with Pablo feeling dumb, but will try to learn some of this neat snizzle.

I’m right there with you and Pablo, three days of Arduino research has given me just enough information to know I’m in over my head with an Arduino project. Luckily the parts are cheap and according to the internets fairly easy to learn so if I need to ultimately go a different direction I’m not out much time or money at this point.

If you haven’t ever looked at the Arduino platform spend some free time looking at some of the YouTube videos of what these little boards are capable of, everything from Home Automation & Home Control, CNC machine control to toy robots. If I was younger and smarter I could see having some fun with these.

So when is Webasto releasing their new model with a thermo-electric generator that will supply enough amps to run itself and the fan?;)

So when is Webasto releasing their new model with a thermo-electric generator that will supply enough amps to run itself and the fan?;)

Ha, I was thinking the same thing with a Peltier module or a Stirling engine generator but then I remembered the getting over my head thing and quickly moved on..

I was reading up on the Arduino platforms this morning and was thinking life just passed me by. I'll stick to goats! :)

Right…..

On one side of my shop I’m getting ready to smash glowing hot steel with a BFH and the other side I’m going to need plug my oscilloscope in and try to get magic pixies flowing in the proper direction.

They say dementia a bich when you get older and so far I’m proving them right.

I use the redboard myself. and the regulator should handle the alternator swing...your code will need to state all of the variables and constants; ie:

int heaterPin, 13;

int voltagePin, 7;

then you state the setup;

void setup();

heaterPin, OUTPUT;

voltagePin, INPUT;

and then in void loop(), you build algorithms to make set points. you'll need one rung for the thermo sensor, and one rung for the voltage sensor. those 2 might be anaolg inputs that will need to be converted to a digital input- or you can write a code that uses the raw analog inputs to build your IF-AND block with...you can use an IF-AND block to only close the relay to the heater when both desired states are met; ie:

if((digitalRead(voltageSenosrPin) = HIGH) ++ (digitalRead(thermoSensorPin) = HIGH))

{digitalWrite(heaterPin, HIGH)};

else

{digitalWrite(heaterPin, LOW)};

loop;

there is more pomp and circumstance than that- you also have the BT communication side to program in...most of these things can be cobbled together from existing codes- the open sourcing is really cool, but it is easy to get off track when you go looking. there are a thousand ways to code to get the same things. sometimes it is easier to pick a series of simple lines and make them work...one more thing...there at a few guys out there sitting at home waiting to help someone with their code project for little money- check out craigslist with keyword Arduino

clear as mud:hillbilly:

and don't think I am saying I "get it"....I am an analog guy trying to live in a digital world and most of you old farts understand more of it than I do...

once you get the hang of it, you'll try to work one into every project...unless you really get the hang of it; in which case you'll just ADD code to the one you've already got.

Smart Relay, Includes Display, 12/24VDC,

these little PLCs are also very capable and a lot easier for us block heads to figure out; they are much more limited overall, tho...and will require a regulated switching voltage regulator to keep them from melting...

there at a few guys out there sitting at home waiting to help someone with their code project for little money- check out craigslist with keyword Arduino

clear as mud:hillbilly:

OK,,,,,, Well I was thinking genius idea why didn’t I think of this….. and BAM the only hit I got was this guy looking to hang out at my house and plant a garden ( technically wants to rent a room but you get the idea) not exactly what I had in mind.

Seeking temporary/full time room or house in October

upload_2017-10-14_18-31-13.jpeg

So apparently I’m back on my own to stumble through this with the help of Al Gore’s information super highway..

:lol:

dude! that's your man!!!

looks preggers...hoping fiancé????

the dog is the one to be weary of, and you know I'm right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom