Target carrier (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this little repair has somehow turned into a complete debacle, as it turns out plastic body filler hardener goes bad with almost no warning at all and primer hardener just turns into a solid block of schmoo if you don’t use them in a timely manner.

One more time for the first time I finally got some primer on this little repair, hopefully the paint is holding up better in storage or I may be driving with a big primer spot until next spring.
QP.jpg

Call it the chip plate and strip the other side to match...

Not that it's the same but I keep my shop at @52 during heating season and my paints go flat every winter, toss up to pay for more heat or just accept paint is a one project purchase for me.

All this stuff was stored inside in a spare closet and stayed around 70° most of its life. I believe it’s as much a case of it seems like just yesterday coupled with I’m a cheap a$$ and probably would have tried it anyway even had I remembered how old it was. Now after the fact I looked back at some receipts and I bought all the body repair and primer products 8/2015 when I repaired the other quarter panel making it a year older than I was thinking. So that now makes the top coat a year older than I was thinking as well (looks like I bought it at the end of 2014) and I’m not sure they’ll ever match the color close enough to do a blend repair. For those just joining this party I used an industrial paint “ACROLON 218 HS ACRYLIC POLYURETHANE” designed for industrial applications none of which require color matching.

http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&doctype=PDS&lang=E&prodno=B65B600

bummer it didn't last past the 2 yr mark...I think blending a repair on a big panel is the pinnacle of bodywork.

. .

bummer it didn't last past the 2 yr mark.

According to the data sheet I should be good, if your reading comprehension is like mine I have three years +/- to use this paint.

Shelf Life:

Part A* - 36 months, unopened

Part B - 24 months, unopened

Store indoors at 40°F (4.5°C) to 100°F (38°C).

If you take it literally then both the opened cans of part A and especially B I bought at the end of 2014 are hoopaduped.

use it or loose it...

You're starting to show a pattern. :)

Ha yea I know, it's getting to be a full time job fixing my junk.

Still need to get back to the Angry Pig and finish the repairs from this little incident .

crash.jpg

We’ve had about 6 months to put that behind us now, I fixed all the mechanical stuff right away and now that I’m getting on the back side of the target carrier repairs I’m hoping I can get back to the cosmetic reconstruction on the Angry Pig, if all goes to plan I'll have it ready for PP2018.

Nice job on the cooler mounting on the angry pig, looks like it stayed put on your roll over. Usually you see those things fly.

Are you going to tow the angry behind the target carrier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom