Storage Drawers and Other Storage Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DoubleNickels How many trucks would I have to outfit to get a custom build created by you guys? Do you guys have a way to make 2 levels and set inside a camper shell?

@Megadoomer , shoot me a PM and we'll start chattin'. Regarding the double DECKER, it's been prototyped but isn't offered as an "off the shelf" solution. It can be done and it's a really cool solution.

Calvin

Here is my contribution to this. A couple of days before SAS, decided to throw a platform into the 55 so I could mount up the fridge slide and fridge I bought for my 200. Ran out of time so the drawers on the right are not finished. Due to wheel well interfering with the drawer, we have a separate storage compartment in the back which is easily accessed by flipping forward the rear seat. I store tools there that I can access easily from the rear passenger door which came in handy when the rear was loaded up with gear and we had a breakdown on the trail. In front of that we'll have two drawers, one deeper that extends just past the tailgate like the fridge slide and a secondary that will extend an additional 30" past that which will be shallow for utensils and such and will have a removable work surface top. Plan to coat with something once we work out all the details. I may add another partition on the left of the fridge slide to keep gear from interfering with the slide. Loved that fridge and slide on a multi-day trip.

IMG-0356.jpg

Can't see in this pic but the platform is curved around the wheel well. Made out of 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood. I ended up having to space the rear up with 3/4" piece so the drawer would clear the tailgate when loaded. Also use a 2x4 to space the rear as the floor slopes some towards that rear seat. I may change how the platform is spaced, but I like how it currently doesn't allow things to slide under it from the rear. This spacers also allowed me to shift the fridge slide all the way to the left of the platform as it raised it just above the wheel well hump that encroaches on the back. I secured the platform in each corner with stainless bolts where a floor cargo hook might be located in the event I decide to remove, then I will replace with cargo loops which are functional. I'll have to post up some more pics when we finish the drawers and coating.

While I was at it, I added some LED dome lights wired through the roll bar the original owner had installed way back when. Then added a switch panel to control lighting, compressor, etc. Trying to figure out how to add an additional LED at the top of the rear hatch for lighting over the tailgate when using the drawers.
IMG-0358.jpg
IMG-0359.jpg

considering getting some sliders fabricated and maybe a ladder mounted to the rack and down to a rear quarter mini slider (so as not to mount or rub against body panels). I was thinking maybe I can fab from tube steel, then I can run some wiring up to the rooftop for lighting beneath an awning on the side and around back above the tailgate. Ladder could double as access to rooftop tent should I go that route. Not sure I can make that look good, but I'm thinking about giving it a go.

1 question? In case of Fire 🔥( God forbid ) isn't that not the ideal location for the extinguisher 🤔😉
It's mounted on a quick release (pull knob) bracket so it's easily removed and not too hard to reach from the right side of the tailgate or rear passenger door if you had to. But yes, would be better closer to the tailgate or one of the other doors. Considered mounting it to the roll bar at the feet of the rear passenger, but not much leg room there. Original owner had drilled some holes in the roll bar to mount one while he owned it so i mounted mine there to cover up. In use, i agree with you not the best location.

i do like DECKED stuff, mostly cause its nice sturdy plastic.

back when i did my drawers in the pig i used u chanel steel and skateboard bearings. worked great.

hey RUSH ya wanna do alu but aint set up to weld it? use 80/20,,, all modular and bolt together whatever your heart desires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom