Storage Drawers and Other Storage Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RUSH55

SILVER Star
Threads
The tales of the Magruder Trail participants and their extended travels throughout Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and many other places across the country have gotten me thinking ahead to setting up the Cruiser for these kinds of trips.

My old setup consisted of a toolbox, and a miscellaneous box full of spare parts, oils, coolant, odds and ends.
Would like to put some real thought into how to outfit the Cruiser to hold all the old necessities, as well as an organized system for extended camping trips, and not have a bunch of clunky, dirty boxes bungee-corded to the cargo panels.
Checked out a few drawer storage systems. There’s the manufactured drawers made out of metal or composite. There’s also some smaller companies or DIY guys making them out of wood. Lots of things to think about and take into consideration. Weight, durability, and layout come first to my mind.
My ol’ pal RHINO ran for awhile with a home-built plywood drawer box that he used for his kitchen necessities, among other things. The idea of plywood never really got me excited. I know it simplifies things as far as being able to source the material from any Home Depot, but not real sure if it would be any lighter or more durable than aluminum, which I think would be my material of choice. He also slept on it, and I have on many occasions slept in the back of mine. So the other consideration is how this affects camping in the Cruiser - possible? Not possible? No a huge deal to just setup a tent, but it was nice to sleep in the 55 the night it rained 4” in the Bradshaws.

There’s some storage space between the cargo panel and the sheetmetal on the passenger side.

Anyways, to get the ball rolling here’s some links and pics.

629F5A1C-D0D5-4727-B214-AB5D0225EE68.jpeg

D60A328B-E96A-489E-BADC-D17AEE638A49.jpeg

E1B497A4-7DEC-45A1-89A1-4AF5D1D56326.jpeg

E5B6AF4F-8940-43A6-A14B-BCADA536F417.jpeg

In one thread I could find in the 55 section that made any mention of drawers, one concern was to have enough room between the drawers and the tailgate access panel to get it off in case something in the motor took a crap, or, be able to unfasten the system housing and move it as to gain access.

Also, if you happen to be running an in-tank fuel pump that is accessed through the lid in the cargo floor, the shebang will have to be removed or sufficiently lifted out of the way. Not a huge deal, but another step when having to deal with that fiasco.

Last edited:
We've decided to build some drawers instead of the military boxes, just too heavy to be pulling in and out all the time. I think the Deck system wastes a lot of space that you could put to use. I almost bought a used Weather Guard drawer as it fit quite well in the back, but I was too late to the party and it sold. To buy a new one was high dollar, so I'm thinking of using the 80/20 alum. as the frame and fastening marine plywood to the sides. I seem to like the wood a tad better for sound and things possibly bouncing around in the drawers. 🤷‍♂️ I'm working with a plan to have two taller drawers on the pass. side and a thinner drawer on the driver's side in order to get the spare tire out, work in progress. My icebox sits up front right behind the front seats, so we can grab a cold one any time. With having a rtt and all our bedding in it, the cab should be somewhat open. The drawers would keep all cooking, cleaning, etc. crap and the smaller drawer my tools and recovery gear.

With all the changes coming to the Slow71, I might even paint it blue......:eek:

Don’t the storage drawer dudes use birch cabinet ply?

Seen a few that are very nice and if we didn’t tow a travel trailer I’d have my eye on building a setup.

When I got my mistress 7 years ago she was complete stock and I had all my “old” camping gear from several life times ago filling up every orifice that I could find in my new pet. I did install Rhino brand roof rack and what didn’t fit inside I put on top.

Needless to say she was overloaded, put in pig fashion she carried it with grace, dignity and made that first journey to Utah and back.

She was packed like she was going from patagonia to alaska

A Dometic refer that ran on propane (purchased in 1984)
An additional cooler with ice
2 spare tires
Tools enough the strip down the engine
Enough cast iron cookery to cook for 40 people
Clothing enough to withstand sub zero temperatures
And on and on and on

As I recall it weighed in at around 6400 lbs.

I have spent the last 7 years throwing things off like it is a sinking ship.

Very little of what I used to carry is part of the kit today. Before the Magruder trip I trimmed a bit more fat off. And since that trip I am trimming even more.

I believe the starting point is to start a pile of the bare essentials.
Kitchen needs, the basics, how little you really need
Operational needs, the basics tools and parts, how little you really need
Start a second pile of the luxuries that will add the comfort to living life out doors and at camp.

Once you see that pile, you need to study what changes can be made to skinny it down some more. With all the new gear out there, old gear will fall by the way side.
I bought a new stove for the Maguder run and found it not to be quite right.

Once see what you have to pack, ideas will start emerging.

Then your build can begin.

There are a lot of products out there the look great in the picture, but are not really that practical due to additional weight and lost space.

Sometimes home grown works best and is more gratifying

Sorry bob that there are no pics with this diatribe and to Ron and everyone else for this self indulgent soap box

best to all
:deadhorse:

one concern was to have enough room between the drawers and the tailgate access panel to get it off in case something in the motor took a crap,

That is a really good point. I think I’m going remove the screws and use Velcro. My refer would prevent me from accessing 6 or 8 screws.o_O

I’ve heard/read now several people who think the “Decked” systems waste space. I’m not familiar at all with them or seen any in life to make any real observations. I think it’s just the idea that gets the ball rolling as far as what to come up with if choosing to go DIY. Kinda like their simplistic slider system which may be easier from a maintenance point of view, but can see how you lose some space with their drawer shape.
Scraps, how tall are you thinking of going with the drawers? For some reason, 6” keeps popping up as a nice round number.
It’s roughly 43” - 44” from the seat backing to the tailgate opening and almost right at 41” between the wheel-wells. The wing areas behind the wheel-wells to the tailgate are roughly 9” x 28”. Common ammo boxes measure out 7-1/2”H x 12-1/4”L x 6-1/4”W. If that was your “thing”, you could fit a couple of these in the “wing” spaces. So maybe a platform height of 8”.(?)🤔
Raised platform fastened to the floor, hinged “wings” behind the wheel wells that can flip up to access stored boxes or whatever (access platform fasteners). Drawers below.

The drawing I'm on now the right will be two drawers stacked at @ 9" each. The left side will @ 6" in order to lift out the spare tire, but looking at rolling it straight forward and out the left pass. door. We don't want to sleep inside the wagon, so I could go a tad higher with the drawers if we need the room. The new Jet Boil system I just bought is roughly 9". As far as the side areas go, I'm using that space already for the Puma air compressor and spare tire, so all I've got to work with is between the wheel wells.

Like Gordon says trimming down and trying new pieces until it works, but each trip is different, so it's good to have a backup plan. One or two people going, how long a trip (shower gear?), will there be a tree or two in order to crap behind ( shower tent-crap tent=happy wife ). It's looking like the SSS is going to be an all dude trip, so I might just throw the bag in back and eat sandwiches for three days like my younger days.

The drawing I'm on now the right will be two drawers stacked at @ 9" each. The left side will @ 6" in order to lift out the spare tire, but looking at rolling it straight forward and out the left pass. door. We don't want to sleep inside the wagon, so I could go a tad higher with the drawers if we need the room. The new Jet Boil system I just bought is roughly 9". As far as the side areas go, I'm using that space already for the Puma air compressor and spare tire, so all I've got to work with is between the wheel wells.

Like Gordon says trimming down and trying new pieces until it works, but each trip is different, so it's good to have a backup plan. One or two people going, how long a trip (shower gear?), will there be a tree or two in order to crap behind ( shower tent-crap tent=happy wife ). It's looking like the SSS is going to be an all dude trip, so I might just throw the bag in back and eat sandwiches for three days like my younger days.
i would appreciate you getting this all worked out, to your standards of course, save my time trying to finish one

Just finished up my cargo panels with some UHMW and some new 6x9s. I’m planning on building a drawer system and fridge slide out before SSS this year. I’m thinking one wide drawer maybe 12” tall and then the fridge slide out?
733701F3-D1B7-437C-8539-CA8FFFA36E4B.jpeg

Already added a plug for the fridge.
884E71A8-9ACB-43E6-8ED1-BFBC86C36DCC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom