Sow #2 in the works! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumper looks good without the cans on the front. Are you thinking of leaving them off?
Wonder what would be a good color for the bumpers besides green?🤔🤭
I actually like it without the cans. Wife already giving me crap for taking them off.

Jim the interior light has 3 options so it was obviously upgrade option....

I called and LM for paint and body guy without a cal back. Gonna try again tomorrow since I’m off work. Bad news on xfer case, cruiser outfitters reporting they don’t anticipate getting any for the next 12-16 weeks. Time to be patient I guess, ya can’t rush excellence...

Toyota Ash Grey Metallic is the factory color for bumpers, grille and front fender vents. Paint code is obscured on the pint I have but others on here can provide.
I’ll see Mike soon and make certain he calls you.

No worries I figure he is busy guy.
Good to know on the paint color, that with the grill and vents painted correctly will only improve the Sows sex appeal!!

Update to the sow as its been long week since my son graduated yesterday and all the family here.

Tried going new H55/ split xfer case but the wait was going to be 12-16 weeks on the xfer case from Cruiser Outfitters. I then noticed a set up in Jemez Springs N(which requires full tear down) and go through it. Hopefully by then I will be putting all the engine powder coated items back on the 2F.

Installing some temporary loud cheesy seat covers today that the wife purchased from Walmart. At least she is thinking of the Sow when shopping...

Toyota Ash Grey Metallic is the factory color for bumpers, grille and front fender vents. Paint code is obscured on the pint I have but others on here can provide.
I’ll see Mike soon and make certain he calls you.
Jim
If you run across that paint code let me know, I would love to do some painting until Mike can do it right!!

Question, with the front axle swap for the disc brake conversion coming up what is best master cylinder for this? I assume this will have to be swapped? I do have access to new 55 which is what I was planning on, any holes in this plan? Figure I would also snag some brake lines for it?

Question, with the front axle swap for the disc brake conversion coming up what is best master cylinder for this? I assume this will have to be swapped? I do have access to new 55 which is what I was planning on, any holes in this plan? Figure I would also snag some brake lines for it?
When I did mine, I ordered the later model disc brake MC that came with the “kit” from cruiser outfitters. Is has dual reservoirs for front and back. Easy swap.

Cool, does this require disc in back also? Little naive here….

I am trying to nail down what 80 series MC will work for us when swapping a disc front axle onto a Pig.

My brake lines come in from the side, so there is that.

I think for disc brakes you want a smaller bore MC to deliver more pressure

I think we also want non-ABS 80 MC.

I am trying to nail down what 80 series MC will work for us when swapping a disc front axle onto a Pig.

My brake lines come in from the side, so there is that.

I think for disc brakes you want a smaller bore MC to deliver more pressure

I think we also want non-ABS 80 MC.
I had gathered these things up for the green Pig that now sits at @Pigeaten's place. Early non-ABS FJ80 1993-94 master cylinder. I got mine from Kurt. @65swb45 makes a conversion plate for the fire wall to go from 3 bolts to 4. That is supposed to work fine with the rear drums. There isn't enough room for a booster to easily fit, but supposed to be plenty of braking force running the MC manually.

For around $500, just order the TSM Rear disc brake kit and have new components and better brakes.This is what is on my FJ45. They have both a with and without E-brake version. The E-brake version works well enough to pass a state inspection, not well enough to stop your vehicle. If you use it, also put in a line lock while you are making new lines. The only other E-brake option with the split case is the OEM drum on the rear of the case. Georg at valley hybrids @orangefj45 could hook you up. He can also get you an H55 and has split cases available that he will rebuild for you. While there, you can also do a 3:1 low range upgrade, etc. Easy to head down the rabbit hole, but it's nice in there.

You will need to run new brake lines. The new set up is a dual circuit. Much safer as you'll still have some brakes if something lets go. Lost a soft line on the driver front of the @Pigeaten special. It left town with a set of vice grips clamping the line to get ANY brakes back to load it on the shipping truck. Lost a wheel cylinder once in my old Dodge M-37 troop truck going downhill with my 2 year old daughter out for a ride...swore I'd never own another single circuit again!

If you end up with that 76 front axle, you will have the "long" birfields. Nothing wrong with that, but the standard Aisin hubs on all of the later trucks (FJ60, etc) do not fit. New warn hubs fit, and they are inexpensive and everywhere. I have 3 spare long birfs on the shelf if you have a need.

Good info there Doc! Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to secure some brake lines from a 75+ donor 55 and see how they work.

Georg is getting the new used H55xfer case to swap input shaft. I intend on shipping it his way in couple weeks as soon as I pick it up. We did take some pics of the insides for George and got a "Nice!" from him which is reassuring for sure. I had Georg go through my troopies H55 and fix whatever needed, small cost for the reassurance.

The only other E-brake option with the split case
If you have rear disks, there is the option of Wilwood MC4 calipers with a fj60 handbrake - only tested in the garage so far, but seems super solid

Mom learns 3 on the tree, in the pasture…

2401893E-B4E8-411B-91DE-23E914D26D14.jpeg

If she’s not used to stick shift put it in low range. Makes starting out easier. Worked with our kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom