Sow #2 in the works! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She drives our Troopy all the time, intimidated by the column shift.
At the age of 12 I was "taught" to drive my grandfather's Ford Ranchero, 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree. I still remember the first time we were driving around the farm and he felt too bad to drive us back to the house. Nothing like a little pressure to inspire you.

I remember I was 13 driving my moms Nissan around town. My uncle was letting me drive to do beer and cigarette runs. (so trashy) At the time I thought he was being cool, but it turned out his license was suspended. (more trashy) I learned how to drive a stick around 10 ys old, but I couldn't drive thru a turn and shift yet. At those big intersections making a left turn I had to take them all the way in 1st. I miss having a stick.

Grew up driving tractor and some hay equipment between pastures on counties roads when I was 13. Then the POS hay truck which was a feather trap for all involved. The awesome old Chevy my best friend and I would drive on country roads was 3/tree. Cant say it made me better driver but it sure was fun!

Ditto on the farm implements/trucks and grandpa experiences.

Interesting connection here. I grew up helping my grandfather work on farmall and international farm equipment in southern NM. As a young kid, I was a tool fetcher and then eventually was able to be more helpful with the equipment. He taught me how to drive the tractors and his old work trucks, which were always manuals. He also taught me to enjoy Red Man chew. Dad cured me of that though be means consistent with his time in the marine corp.

Well got nice 20 mile round trip venture into town with the SOW. Tried to get her tagged but due to Oregon adding a couple extra letters to the VIN on the title she now has to have a state trooper do certified VIN check. I did get temporary tag though and sped home at 53 mph to celebrate a little!!

Sow Update
Kids ran in Regionals in Grand Junction this weekend and my reward for dragging a trailer, parking on far edge of the parking lot as far away from the entrance to avoid cars was a parking ticket. I was ticketed for not parking within the lines ever though there aren't any lines to park between, go figure!! Parking Lady said I should have parked on side road, I guess parking truck and trailer on 2 lane road makes better sense then on distant edge of a parking lot...I am still little sore about it!

Awesome day watching the kids then the wife, father in law and myself took off to Durango. Big thanks to @Smokejumper85 for bringing the H55 from his place in Jemez Springs, NM to Durango saving us probably 5+ hours of driving. He definitely went above and beyond to help. Then @txgringo graciously let us keep it at his house until I could pick it up Friday evening I only wish he would have been there to thank in person. The H55 will be put on a pallet and shipped to Georg at Valley hybrids to have input shaft swapped and confirm everything is good.

Next morning we loaded up the Crusty rig just north of Durango I intend on taking some parts off then passing onto a well known mudder. Sourcing a few needed items off the 77 55 for the SOW.

Watching the Pig Party thread 2021 with envy and can't wait to join in the fun next year!

90917595-426B-4AD0-BF82-B87F0F5AB750.jpeg

Last edited:
Saw two bus loads of Steamboat kids at the Horizon Drive Safeway Thursday evening. Talked with one young lady about the heat while waiting to check out. Wish we could have connected.

Saw two bus loads of Steamboat kids at the Horizon Drive Safeway Thursday evening. Talked with one young lady about the heat while waiting to check out. Wish we could have connected.
Yeah it was crazy busy. I had to work Thursday and stopped in Parachute that night to park as I wasn't certain I would be able to park truck and trailer at the Double Tree where the wife and FIA stayed.
Parked truck at 6:30 the next morning and was there until we took off for Durango.
Jim, if you come close to Steamboat on the way to Pig Party let me know If possible would love to meet up and say hello! Next 2 weeks are crazy busy we we are going to the state Track meet in the front range.

Can anyone share some technical knowledge of what I will need to do to with upgrading my SOW's F to 2F engine along with the H55? Any extra bracing for the H55? Am I going to have to use some different engine mounts? Fan shroud I assume will need to be switched out with 60 series or 40 series?

Just trying to get everything in order when it comes to time for the swap...

It depends on which bell housing you use. The 2F bell housing has the ears on it that hang from the frame like in a 40/55 so the 2F and bell housing will bolt right in. Use new engine mounts (the rubber isolators). If you use a 3F bell housing you'll need to fabricate a crossmember to support the trans/transfer as only the front of the engine would be supported.
The 2F bell housing will slightly clock the H55, but it will still fit just fine.
If you're planning on upgrading to a split case behind the H55 you'll need to source the parking brake drum and components. Georg normally has a few sets. You can use a 4 speed case no problem behind the H55, but a 3 speed case requires different input gears. Cruiser Outfitters has the input gears.

Thanks, I’ve got 2F bell housing and Georg said I would have to do some mild grinding to make it fit but says no big deal.
I do have a split case on the H55, I’ll start sourcing what I need there now.
So it sounds like no cross member needed which makes it a lot easier.
Appreciate the input!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom