Respect the 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just south of Tok is where we made camp. In the morning we got up, put the sleeping bags away, took down the awning and loaded the roof rack up for the final time. We pulled out of camp and headed for Glenallen. I took the wheel and got back on the highway. That mornings drive picked up where the night before left off. We were just a few miles from Glenallen when the 2F hiccuped the first time. As I got us closer to town, the worse the driving became. Pulling into the gas station, the two of us hoped that some cold, fresh gas would be the ticket.
@GEMatulich was going to get us the rest of the way to Eagle River. He fired the 2F up and pulled away from the pump. Went to get back on the highway and that’s when it happened again, loosing power he pulled off into the gravel parking lot.
WTF! What happened. The night before it was running lights out. This morning it started off good, but gradually got worse and now we can’t even limp along. Frustrated, pissed off and irritated with ourselves and the vehicle we started to argue. What could it be, it got us so close to home, and now this. So we went over what we could do.
My brother called his friend and asked if he would rally out our way to pick us up if needed. His buddy agreed to help and was on stand by. We had a few more parts to swap out and try, neither one of us really wanted to be towed into town, not after all the driving that we had done.
One thing we had discussed was the fuel pump. My brother was insistent that we swap out the old with the new one. I was reluctant, thinking that up until this point in the drive, anytime we checked the sight glass on the carb, there was fuel in it. What we couldn’t figure out was why it ran so good from D Bay to Tok.
We got out and popped the hood. I climbed in the driver seat and got the engine started, meanwhile my brother looked at the sight glass. At an idle there was enough fuel, 2/3 of the window was full. With the gear box in neutral, I pressed down on the accelerator. My brother watched as the fuel was drawn into the carb, but never refilled. The engine stumbled and died.
The first thing we tried was a new fuel filter. Why not, should have tried this earlier, maybe. So we remove and replace fuel filters. Then my brother primes the carb, and again, it starts but does not draw any fuel into the bowl.
So we are down to the final, simple fix that we had, the fuel pump. Personally, I had never replaced a fuel pump. I knew where it was located and had read that they were pretty straight forward to replace. I unbox the new one and take a look at it. It require just two bolts to mount, looks real simple. I disconnect the battery and remove it, then I unthread and disconnect the hard line and loosen the hose clamp on the soft line. Then I felt around for the two bolts and got the socket in place, out comes the first, then the second bolt. I compared the two fuel pumps side by side, the new one was quite a bit bigger in diameter then the old one. Perhaps the old one was a replacement at some point in time, I don’t know. I get the new pump bolted on, fuel line hooked back up and the battery reinstalled. I jump back in the driver seat and @GEMatulich primes the carb. It fires up and the sight glass window quickly fills with gas. No S***!
For some of the guys here on mud, this would have been an earlier fix, maybe a no brainer.
For my brother and I it had been discussed, argued for and against, but one thing we both agreed with was that fuel pumps either work or they don’t. Perhaps that’s true with electric pumps, maybe even with some mechanical pumps, but with this particular mechanical pump it was on its way out.
We never smelled gas when checking the oil, fuel never leaked from a weep hole, no this pump just started to go out along the drive, and we were lucky to have a spare.
I must give my brother credit, he was the one who insisted that we swap out fuel pumps the evening before when we were stuck on the side of the road near Destruction Bay. He also was the one who was adamant about having the fuel pump before we left on the road trip.
F9E16B6D-C192-4795-9F7D-9AFC5C6E2D76.jpeg

With the new fuel pump installed, @GEMatulich gets back behind the wheel. He pulls out onto the Glenn Highway, and heads for home. Again, we keep our mouths closed and just listen and watch as the cruiser begins to get up to speed. Nothing happens, no hiccups, no sputtering, just a smooth, steady increase in speed. He grabs the hand throttle, pulls on it until it takes the weight of the accelerator pedal off his foot and he sits back. Again, we don’t say Sh**.
We’re passing by Slide Mountain, then Little Nelchina River. A bit further along and we pass Sheep Mountain. Climbing up the grade from Caribou Creek, we both take note that the might 2F is accelerating(well at least its not slowing down). Not in any hurry, my brother starts to push the motor a little more. Pretty soon were pushing 60mph then 65. By now, we both start to relax. Tired and gross we have just another push or two to go before we’re home.
Approaching Sutton, I ask if we can stop by and take a look at a couple of 40’s sitting in a yard that I’ve passed every fall that last several years.
My brother pulls in the drive way and I get out. There are a couple of old cruisers, looks like they’ve seen better days, sitting up on the hill in this guys yard. He isn’t home so we take off. I’ll stop by next time I’m up there. Wish I had snapped a photo to share.
Pretty soon we hit Palmer. One last fill up and we’re home.

The cruiser pulled into my brothers driveway at 4pm Alaska time. We made it. (1600hrs, 2470mi)
26B64FCF-1E13-44C7-BCC3-0C07532638D8.png

A shot with his ‘97 80-series
80A5E2A5-D1DF-46FB-9998-582172C20046.jpeg

The road trip started with us leaving my house on June 27th at 1pm(PST), we arrived at my brothers house on July 1st at 4pm(AKDT). We covered over 2,400 miles in a 1976 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, with the original 2F motor, 4-speed trans and 4.11 gears.

I stayed for another week. Helped my brother around his new house, we built a work bench and organized his garage. Now he can pull a cruiser in there to get some work done.
While in town, we stoped by Green Tree Fabrication, I ordered an air locker that we will install this August when I return. (I plan on getting up to Prudhoe Bay this September)
I also spent time visiting with our other brother and giving him some stick time. He really liked what I had done to the 40, thought it drove nice and was in good shape. He too has stories and memories of growing up with it in the family.
We drove the cruiser down to the Kenai Peninsula after the 4th, the rig ran great, never once giving us any problems.

Here it is in Cooper Landing, AK.
48F7286A-CA38-40FB-94A7-F29A5350C219.jpeg

By the time we got back to Eagle River and I got dropped off at the airport, the cruiser had just over 2900 miles since leaving Olympia. All I can really say at this point is, “Respect the 40.”

Bravo!! 👏
Great story great ending!!
I enjoyed how you didn’t want to get towed in. With such a long trip and only a few more miles to go!

Who gets to keep the family cruiser? I wouldn't want to argue with your sister. :)

@GEMatulich has the cruiser for now. I’ll get it back sometime this fall. People said I was nuts for getting to where it is drivability wise and then leaving with my brother. I figured that’s what it’s all about. I’ll get it back and have it for a long time. It may never end up in Alaska again for all we know.
Our sisters an alpha, never was much fun to argue with her.

Tons of respect for the 40! Hope the return trip down here is just as amazing. 👍

Epic journey for sure. A trip my wife and I plan to make once we retire.

I can relate to the brother thing. My 71 FJ40 originally belonged to my younger brother. A bad divorce forced him to leave it with me.
He now lives with me and helps me work on it. Family first...

A Poster !!

So... There was just something I really loved about this picture from your trip. I also have been wanting to add some shop decor to my new garage. Anyway I came up with this poster and I think it turned out great! (Hope you don't mind!)

IMG_20190808_180622.jpg

(I had my 13 year old son stand next to it for some size perspective)

I know it's hard to see, so:

Vehicle Info is in the top left
Both Driver's IH8MUD usernames top right
Departure city and date with arrow to Destination city and date, with total hours and mileage below
Used the IH8MUD dark theme color scheme

Alright guys and gals, I have been home now for a couple weeks and would like to continue this thread and relay the last few weeks I spent with my cruiser. This past August I flew back up to Anchorage. My brother and I landed around 1230 in the morning, I waited and retrieved our luggage while he went out and pulled the 40 around to the arrival terminal. We loaded up the cruiser and headed back to Eagle River. The two of us were beat, we dropped our packs, bags and gear in the mud room and headed off to bed. Little did I know that the following day was going to be the first of many long days over the next few weeks.
It was Monday, August 26th around 0830 when I rolled out of bed. After breakfast and coffee, I headed out to the garage. Sitting on the work bench was a brand new ARB air locker for the rear differential. Not wasting much time, I had the forty up on jack stands and was draining gear oil. Following the FSM, I had the rear diff drained, axles pulled and was ready to remove the differential carrier.
58855373478__EB742F7F-5C6F-45E9-B97B-4C3907314B9F.JPG

Next I pulled the differential out, I sure didn't realize how heavy it was going to be. I laid it on my chest as I rolled the creeper out from underneath the cruiser. I got the housing bolted to the work bench differential stand and called it a day.
IMG_1148[1].JPG
IMG_1153[1].JPG

The next day I was able to remove the diff, ring gear and pinion. I installed a new pinion seal, reused the pinion and ring gear and got the ARB locking differential installed. It took me a few hours to get everything set to the FSM specs, but I eventually had it all put back together and ready to install. As a note to others who may work on their own rear diff, either purchase or make a tool for setting the preload/backlash on the bearing caps. I used a punch and although I watched a video where the guy used a punch to get the bearing caps adjusted, I mangled mine. I'm a little embarrassed to post the picture, but I will in hopes others don't make the same mistake.
IMG_1155[1].JPG

Anyways, with everything bolted back together, it was time to reinstall the rear diff. I waited for my brother, and the two of us were able to get it back in later that evening.
On Wednesday I ran the airhose, mounted the compressor and pulled the wire harness through the firewall. With the rig still up on the jack stands we fired up the the compressor and engaged the locker. It felt pretty nice to tackle another project on the 40 and have it workout.

IMG_1148[1].JPG

IMG_1153[1].JPG

IMG_1155[1].JPG

Last edited:
I was stationed in Vietnam with a fellow from Eagle River.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom