Builds My 77/40-6 year project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dad4x4

SILVER Star
Threads
After several years of saying that I wasn't going to start a build thread, well here it is. Mostly because a stock build has been documented several times over. However, having my thread will keep me motivated seeing the progress made and who knows, maybe I'll motivate someone else.
So the story is: I bought a 77/40 over 5 years ago (with lots of paperwork) and my plan was to fix some rusty areas then get it road worthy. It quickly turned down a road of "well while I'm in there I should..." just like rkymtnflyfisher's build, this has become a true accidental frame off. This is what it looked like when I picked it up. I'll get everyone caught up to where I currently am as I have time to update.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

after getting it home, I took inventory of what I had and what needed to be replaced. I then realized that I needed everything... Between work and running kids around to practices, I don't get much work done in the shop so any chance I get out there I have to make count. I enjoy welding and paint & body work. However the fenders, bib, hood were too far gone for me to spend time repairing so I added it to the list. I couldn't find pictures of the fenders but you can see a piece of the DS in one of the pics above. I haven't been very good at taking pictures as I go along. The cruiser came as pictured so no hardtop or doors so those parts were added to the list. I bought this very rusty '77 as a parts rig from @Wadesters. also @TCSTARK helped me acquire the rest.
IMG_4067.JPG

IMG_4116.JPG

More later....

Last edited:
First order of business was to address the rust issues on both rear quarters. Even the rail was very rusty and had to be replaced. So I made a call to Pacol since they were the only ones at the time that I could find that had the hardtop rail included in the rear quarters. This was a nightmare dealing with them as some of you may remember my comments about it in another thread. It took 10 months to finally receive my quarters and I couldn't wait to get started. Here are a few pics, again I didn't do a good job at taking pics of my progress.
FYI, the fuel tank was cleaned inside and out so there was no fuel in it...

photo 2.JPG

photo 42.JPG

photo 92.JPG

I took lots of measurements and would tack weld in the fenders to hold them in place while I would test fit the top and doors. The process was very easy and I was very happy with the end results. That said the quarters themselves didn't come perfectly square so some fab work was needed to get them to fit right.
After I finished the quarters the project pretty much collected dust in the garage for almost a year. I changed jobs, we had another baby and we moved almost 2 hours away.

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

Once we got settled in I got busy under the hood. Like I said earlier, I have to make every minute count so I would pick projects that I felt I could finish in the time that I had.
more pics of that later

So like I've said, I would want to clean something up and would end up tearing it apart to rebuild it. When I started on the engine, I wanted it to look better plus I needed to see what condition it was in so I started with the valve cover and air cleaner. I sent the Air cleaner off to get powder coated, removed & rebuilt the original carb and I painted the valve cover. I took the intake/exhaust manifolds to be resurfaced together and then painted them. From there the timing cover, inspection plate, oil pan, fuel pump, water pump, and Thermostat housing all came off, cleaned and new Toyota gaskets were used where available and re-installed.

IMG_0378.jpg

photo 31.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

Looking good so far. I chose the easy route and bought a 3/4 tub from Aqualu. Much respect for the folks that go the distance on tub rebuilds.
Thanks.
Aqualu wasn’t an option for me. The rot was limited to the rockers and quarters so it definitely wouldn’t warrant a new tub. The floor pans were in great shape too.

It looks like you're doing a great job. Keep plucking away and hope you finish up soon.
Thanks. I Appreciate your words. I constantly think about it being done and how it will look. Then taking my girls on the first ride so they can enjoy the thing that’s been occupying my time since they were little. One day...

I know this is 40 tech but I'm going to de-rail for a post or 2.
I picked up this '94 which is almost exactly the truck I drove in high school. I really missed that truck and was on the hunt for it's replacement for a while when I finally found it in south Georgia. It needed a lot of body work but I got it for a great price and it ran good too. I turned my attention to it for the next several months smoothing out the body getting it ready for paint.

toyota pics 010.jpg

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0856.JPG

toyota pics 024.jpg

Very nice, I've always had Toyota pick up trucks.

My wife's grandfather had a Chrysler dealership here in Virginia. Every Chrysler my wife had was a rattle can and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I'm still driving a 98 Tacoma and the only thing I've ever replaced was brakes, batteries and maintenance items. Twenty years later and it still runs like a sewing machine. Love them Toyotas!

Great progress on the 40!
Is that the truck that was for sale in Tyrone on Craigslist?
It was already apart at that point I believe.

ok, so to get us back on track. We finally moved in the fall of '15 to central GA and the new house has a 30x30 shop so now I have a real space to work in.... or more room to buy more cruisers:hmm:...we'll get to that later.
With my new job I didn't have much time in the shop and didn't get the 77 out of the corner for almost the first year we were here. Once I got started back I sent the hood, fenders and aprons, bib and hard top sides to the media blaster. I was very disappointed when I picked up the fenders. I didn't get any pics of them before being blasted but this is what I had. There were also tiny pin holes all over the dents. I had an extra set of fenders that weren't good but were perfect where I needed a patch. here's a pic of the shop right after we moved in and the work on the fenders.

IMG_4457.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

Great progress on the 40!
Is that the truck that was for sale in Tyrone on Craigslist?
It was already apart at that point I believe.
great memory! yes it was. Great seller too. He thought that he would enjoy tearing it down and rebuilding but after tearing it apart he lost interest. I must have read his ad dozens of times before I decided to go look.

Nice, I hope you got a deal on it.The add looked like it has lots of potential.
Jealous of the shop space, perfect for the 40.
Keep the updates coming:cheers:

Once I got the body work on all the parts blasted completed, It was decision time on the body. how far did I want to go? it was a question of how did I want it to look when it was all done. I didn't want a tape line on the firewall inside or out, I also wanted the tub to be painted underneath. So the only way to achieve the look I was after was to pull the body. I anchored some mounting rings in the ceiling of my shop and pulled the body. Some of this would have definitely been easier with 2 people but it's one of the disadvantages of moving so far away from friends and family. Also, due to lack of time in the shop, It took many months to get the body work finished the way I wanted it especially when I only get 2-3 hours at a time.

IMG_6842.JPG

IMG_6841.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

I ended up moving the location of the front straps for obvious reasons to the cowl but didn't get pics of that. I also did more work to the rear quarters like cut in the marker lights and nut plate, holes for the hardtop, jump seats, ambulance doors, tire carrier, rear reflectors, emblems and fuel door. then applied seam sealer to the B pillar joint and the Cowl.

Last edited:
found some of these pics of the patch work I did to the windshield frame.
One thing I've noticed since posting my pictures and timeframe is just how much work has been done in 5 years. The little projects like this have really added up.

photo 48.JPG

photo 53.JPG

photo 54.JPG

photo 57.JPG

Of course I didn't take any pictures of it finished but it turned out great. I did some work similar to this on the bib but can't seem to find those pics. i'll post any i find.

Once the body was ready I prepped the shop by blowing out the dust & dirt, sprayed the floor with water, installed my exhaust fans to get the overspray out and cleaned the body one last time. I have painted several vehicles in garages with this set up and this one has turned out the best. The weather was perfect (around 75-80) and luckily the bugs stayed home! The below pics were taken several days after. The mess on the floor is from other work to body panels getting prepped for paint.

IMG_6982.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom