Builds Red Dawn (60 converted 62 Build Thread w/ R2.8) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was also great meeting you on Tuesday night and seeing Red Dawn! I wish I had read through this whole thread before Tuesday instead of now... was amazed by how clean and nice the build was in person, but have so much more appreciation for what you have done. Plus your bracket skills are top-notch! Can't wait to see the truck again.

Okay I suppose I should say I'd like to see it as it sits now. I found this when looking for another picture yesterday. It's from Jan 31st 2020.

60.jpg

So much has changed since then but I thought it was pretty amazing back then. I only had a few minutes to look at it as you guys were headed to Leavenworth if I remember correctly.

Okay I suppose I should say I'd like to see it as it sits now. I found this when looking for another picture yesterday. It's from Jan 31st 2020.

So much has changed since then but I thought it was pretty amazing back then. I only had a few minutes to look at it as you guys were headed to Leavenworth if I remember correctly.
Hey Adam! I couldn't for the life of me find your number to discuss selling you the 3FE. My wife kept reminding me to give you a call. It must be buried in the abyss of my phone somewhere. You were probably the last land cruiser person to see the truck before I started taking it apart. Glad you found my thread as I am nearing the "end", seems fitting. The truck looks almost identical on the outside, just the front driving lights have been added. We'll have to run into eachother again sometime. Do you ever get together for the cruiserhead meetings?

I'm back on the bracket game again. It's been a few weeks. I joined @Cruiser Cult which is exciting. Some of the stuff from this thread will probably become available on the site soon. All the members are great and I'm looking forward to helping get some good solutions for things into the hands of everyone so they can enjoy their land cruisers. This weekend's job was to try and get my dual ARB air pump mounted to the passenger side. It's time to get all that wiring buttoned up.

I started with a cardboard template that I turned into an aluminum flat plat. I ended up shifting the compressor towards the front of the truck (you'll see an extra set of holes magically appear).

51910096780_6107677181_b.jpg

51910096775_5d60ccea06_b.jpg

51909473641_b3ac7ca5cf_b.jpg

51909473646_06cde72196_b.jpg

It was pretty "floppy" since there was nothing supporting it upright. So I made another piece that reaches over to the fender as a second attachment point. I'll use this flat surface for some other things too in the future. It's fairly stout now and should do the job. My welds aren't going to win any competitions. Tacks are difficult on aluminum in a cold garage. I need to get more diligent about preheating things.

51908505562_c04f56057c_b.jpg

51910096765_b1609cb591_b.jpg

Hey Adam! I couldn't for the life of me find your number to discuss selling you the 3FE. My wife kept reminding me to give you a call. It must be buried in the abyss of my phone somewhere. You were probably the last land cruiser person to see the truck before I started taking it apart. Glad you found my thread as I am nearing the "end", seems fitting. The truck looks almost identical on the outside, just the front driving lights have been added. We'll have to run into eachother again sometime. Do you ever get together for the cruiserhead meetings?
Hey, no worries at all. I know how that goes, super happy it went to a good home. I haven't hit a Cruiserhead meeting yet, but I did get the stickers so I'd better get my butt in gear. The problem is I rarely, if ever go on to Facebook... nothing against them it's just one more thing to check and I'm already at capacity.

Let's get together sometime since we're so close, I'm thinking we're only about 5 miles away from one another. Beers with covered parking sounds good considering there's an "atmospheric river" upon us. I can only think of one spot that fits those requirements... Beardslee Public House. Let me know if you're interested. There's two separate covered parking lots so we can look over eachother's rigs. I'll probably bring my 40 since the 60 is close to going under the knife for dang near the same procedure.

I made a mount for the house battery PDM (power distribution module). The PDM should look familiar to everyone that's been following along because there is one for the main battery on the driver's side. This guy will help me organize the passenger side a bit. The air compressor with go through there along with feeds for a front fuse box (camp lights, engine lighting, etc) and rear fuse box (fridge, water pump?, etc). Nothing amazing to report from this weekend other than that. I did take a ton of video building the PDM mount, might make another YouTube about the fabrication process.

51923894841_255f9cdd64_b.jpg

51923894836_1862501c39_b.jpg

51924228979_16105d448e_b.jpg

51924522925_2f6004c2ac_b.jpg

Started cleaning up the passenger side wiring and getting things buttoned up in the engine bay. I grabbed these harness straps PN14284 from Autofasteners & Clips. They sure look the part and so far work quite well. About as tough as the originals on the truck as well, seem robust. I suggest them to anyone that wants to replace any broken pieces they might have. I also feel like I'll be using these in the future since it's really as simple as a drilled hole to leverage them in other situations.

52208178505_00a3f75dcf_b.jpg

52207701283_159d7ae04f_b.jpg

I Tesa taped the main harness with all my additions and subtractions. The extra colored wires are signal wires that I ran towards the glove box (more to come here hopefully). That super fresh washer bottle was in stalled too. Man I was waiting so long to put that in because I didn't want to get greasy hands all over it.

52208178760_3a06b6b3f7_b.jpg

I got on the bracket game again as well. I put a second negative busbar on the passenger side for any of the items I plan to put on the house battery (don't forget my starting battery is on the driver's side now). This bracket was pretty fun. I had to cut some spacers and TIG weld them on. Sure wish I had access to a lathe again.

52208178750_c3c139c5a1_b.jpg

52207701668_ca8bd0b7ab_b.jpg

52207701443_c930116b34_b.jpg

52207680366_acd19156b1_b.jpg

I'm hoping to add a second RTMR micro fuse box on this side as well, but they are out of stock in the places where I bought my kit from before. I'll have to piece together all the contacts, grommets etc and just order one from mouser. I do have to use a micro phillips driver set to get the grounds attached I got one on there already. The air compressor is all wired up and the locker too. I just need to run my air line for filling tires, I'm probably going to put it under the front bumper somewhere so I'm not hanging the air line over the fender.

52207950059_fee8669f9d_b.jpg

Really coming together on this side. Next big project is the glove box and getting the AC lines run. I need to find the right fitting sizes.

Finally, got together with a couple of guys from @Cruiser Cult for a 4th of July photo. Weather was terrible, it dumped shortly after this. Enjoy!

52206673137_4c7cbf6195_b.jpg

For whatever it’s worth (and you probably already know this) those straps are still available from Toyota.
Part Number: 90463-10010

View attachment 3056675

Everything looks crazy awesome - I still can’t wait to see this in person!
I figured they were. I was ordering some other fasteners for the OBS ford and saw these. It was a “Spider-Man pointing” moment.

I ran an airline down to the front bumper for filling tires. I had to make a bracket for the quick-connect air fitting.

52306518880_7b91b0745d_b.jpg

I thought a fair bit about how I would get something like this mounted while still using a flexible hose. I finally decided that a super-cheapo box end ratcheting wrench that I had kicking around the tool box would be just the thing. Follow along as I get this little dude mounted.

Ground off the rivets:
52305284587_d1c7636320_b.jpg

Precious piece acquired!

52306505309_f4252bffb1_b.jpg

52306518850_1afe522fd6_b.jpg

I welded a washer to the back so the fitting stuck through but once I threaded the press-to-connect on the other side it wouldn't come out the front.

52305268657_35dc86a208_b.jpg

I know this is a recovery point so I'm not 100% sold on leaving it here, but for the moment it looks pretty cool. I can reuse the same bracket if I move it elsewhere.

52306519135_ae1fde78b1_b.jpg

I made a flat bottomed stud (welded bolt to a washer) to keep the front end looking clean.

52305285022_7cdcc99429_b.jpg

Just like everything else, it got a little black enamel and then it was time to install.

52306447753_d1ce093f0b_b.jpg

52306536450_220c9d3c0d_b.jpg

52305268742_d894b1dca2_b.jpg

Looks good, very creative solution. I chose to use ARB-0740111, which has a #4 Male JIC thread instead of the NPT thread of the 740112. But that connector has a nut for panel mounting the connector, which I built a 90 degree bracket. So it's easier to mount.

From there I have a 90 degree JIC #4 to NPT, then NPT to push to connect for a nylon line. I am not super happy with the number of connectors - your solution is certainly cleaner.

Looks good, very creative solution. I chose to use ARB-0740111, which has a #4 Male JIC thread instead of the NPT thread of the 740112. But that connector has a nut for panel mounting the connector, which I built a 90 degree bracket. So it's easier to mount.

From there I have a 90 degree JIC #4 to NPT, then NPT to push to connect for a nylon line. I am not super happy with the number of connectors - your solution is certainly cleaner.
That would have been a ton easier. I really should research things more.

Just read through the whole build, damn inspiring! I think ill stick with a V8, as i think thats the easiest way to pass emissions testing in my state.

Does that airline have a cover? Worried about it getting air rammed with dirt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom