Builds Red Dawn (60 converted 62 Build Thread w/ R2.8) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the SSRs from yahoo.jp. I bought 4 and said to myself "I'll just wait for a single to pop up". Well, to my chagrin, the next ones that were the right size and finish were a set of 5, so I bought those.
Geez you lucked out. Ive been looking for a set of 5 on yahoo jp and have only been finding sets of 4. Thats the one thing thats kinda making me want to just get the bradley vs because those are easily found in a set of 5. It would be hard to sell a set of 3 wheels haha Maybe find 3 other guys needing a matching spare

Geez you lucked out. Ive been looking for a set of 5 on yahoo jp and have only been finding sets of 4. Thats the one thing thats kinda making me want to just get the bradley vs because those are easily found in a set of 5. It would be hard to sell a set of 3 wheels haha Maybe find 3 other guys needing a matching spare
I'm going to try and get new hoops made for the 4 centers I have. Sell that set. Keep the 3 original hoops as spares for the 5 on the truck.

I'm going to try and get new hoops made for the 4 centers I have. Sell that set. Keep the 3 original hoops as spares for the 5 on the truck.
Just curious, where are you getting new barrels made? Id like to add them to my notes

key word is "trying" I haven't been successful yet.
Hah damn yeah i was looking too and didnt find much for truck wheels. All kinds of shops will stock a million different offsets for the car wheels, but nothing for the truck stuff :/

@TheNeek @dbbowen how do you buy on yahoo.jp? Do you use a dropshipper? What’s the markup like?

@TheNeek @dbbowen how do you buy on yahoo.jp? Do you use a dropshipper? What’s the markup like?
Theres a few proxy sites you can use like croooober that will bid for you. You can not set up an account on yahoo.jp without a japan address unfortunately. Ive only bought a hat so far so the price was much less and so was the fees and shipping. Some of the proxy sites will have a fee and shipping calculator and $ to yen conversions too

Set's of 5 rarely come up, unfortunately :( I bought two sets of Wed's MadMaster so I could have some spares for my HJ61, and then a single wheel came up :p.
As mentioned above you can't bid (even if you manage to register a new account) - Best to use a proxy service - I've got a friend who lives there who i use to buy / ship anything I buy on yahoo / In Japan :)

key word is "trying" I haven't been successful yet.
Check out Pine Engineering (New Zealand) or Barrel Bro's (Australia) - both can supply new Barrel's :)

If anyone wants some rad 6H Wheels - I'll be listing a few for sale soon (Set's of 4 though)!

I finally got the ashtray switch panel done. Took four versions to get the angle just right. If the angle is off then then the switches hit stuff behind the AC bezel. I had fun doing the design, printing the iterations and wiring up everything. There might be a version 5 that has the switch openings just a hair tighter, but this works really well so far. Very pleased with repurposing that ashtray area to something far more useful.

51854550209_a969038c1d_b.jpg

51854200936_8a63cc60b0_b.jpg

There is a bulb in the ashtray that dims with the instrument lights. It even has it's own harness. So I cut it apart and used it as the dim + and dim - on the contura switches. Two other pigtails are 12v hot and ground for the entire panel.

51854200966_18f148ca56_b.jpg

Got the signal wires from the under-hood relay panel all plugged in to each switch. The fan has a special line that runs to the PWM control but it works the same way. Contura makes harness housings for these switches. Maybe I'll try them in the future. Or maybe I'll make and sell these as a kit with these harnesses already built. 🤷‍♂️

51853238012_854f7fcfb3_b.jpg

I'll pull it apart to sand and paint the adapter after things are all working.

51854278363_9a68d5576f_b.jpg

Now I just need to get all the actual items that need power hooked up. Already starting on the spot lights.

51853283802_c7b2e9d27b_b.jpg

@TheNeek want to print (or sell) a few more? 😇 maybe with other cutout configurations?

Your level of attention to detail is what I aspire to.

@TheNeek want to print (or sell) a few more? 😇 maybe with other cutout configurations?

Your level of attention to detail is what I aspire to.
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

The design is pretty close. I think it just needs some subtle tweaks. As said, I do like re-purposing that ashtray spot. It is prime real estate and a good fix for people who can't afford to, or don't want to, replace their entire ac bezel with one of those really nice pieces I see around on the forums. I wish I could find the connector that ashtray bulb uses so I could buy them. Seems to be pretty old (pic below). There could be a market for this kind of thing. What other kind of "stuff" would people think should go in there? DM me. If people were willing to finish the the pieces themselves I might be convinced to print and sell them to members like I do the speaker adapters. I'm not too keen on finish sanding and paint that many parts. If it's too much of a pain I'd probably have them professionally printed.

51855476405_fa68b914c8_b.jpg

I’ve got a decent setup worked so don’t do it on my account but it seems like a prime opportunity and I would definitely want one down the road. You could just sell the file too.

The wits end ball mount was a great addition.
82D9132E-543E-4ED8-91B7-09F715AEA84A.jpeg
D4650DA1-F216-4E8A-90A6-D4BF946AC4B2.jpeg

The other opportunity seems to be this spot. If/when I add a ham radio I’d like to add the faceplate there, in the ashtray spot, or maybe the cubby under the single din radio. Worst case on the ball mount I already put there which isn’t too terrible.

645AEEC9-CF03-41EB-971C-8701DD2048CC.jpeg

When if/I add lockers I’d love to find a smaller power window switch for this small blank and then add the Toyota magic dial where the current window switch is.

D51816F8-E452-494A-8FDC-7152C7EBD4BA.jpeg

Sorry for the nerdery. Just thinking outloud/dreaming.

Last edited:
Ventured out of the 40 forum and discovered your thread. Great job, and lots of good info here as I build my R2.8 FJ-40. I hope at some point I run into you at a Seattle Cruiserheads gathering sometime.

Ventured out of the 40 forum and discovered your thread. Great job, and lots of good info here as I build my R2.8 FJ-40. I hope at some point I run into you at a Seattle Cruiserheads gathering sometime.
Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I am going to find my way to more meetings this year. Would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have (as best I can).

My Koito amber fogs from CruiserCult are installed and working. Super happy with them.

51869077037_504df135bf_b.jpg

And the LC is out in the world. Still tons to do but things are going pretty well. I need to get the 6L80E config done correctly. Not sure if it was setup correctly from Zero Gravity. I have an email out to them.

51870354224_b55364c006_b.jpg

Same But Different

Great meeting ya yesterday. This was a fun thread to read thru today and for sure gonna pick up a Tig set up now.

One building strategy that may suit you is 3d printed custom die molds. Seems right in line with your skill sets. I know you said you're done with brackets. But could get really custom this way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom