1984 HJ60 - My Dad bought it new in 84' Build Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone

I'm Daniel, almost 17 and live in Australia.

Before you ask, i'm posting here as a welcome and a few questions...

Basically i am about to (less than a month) have the ability to drive and modify my dad's ( one owner ) 21 year old HJ60. It's a Diesel, 5psd. I would rather own a commodore, but.. i've got to make do with what i've got.. as i can't afford the car i want at the present.

It's got a bit of panel damage on the rear left hand quarter, and some rust in the bay and on the roof.

I plan to eventually, as time permits rub back the whole car, and fix all the rust myself. And get a friend to spray it in a nice blue. Chrome the Bull bar, find some nice wheels and alot more.. I hope to do alot of the work myself.

Basically what i have to ask is what are some engine modifications i can make that are relativily stealth, and what is involved in raising the car, as i have little to no knowledge of the landcruiser as all my work with car's has revolved around HSV's and Holdens.

Thanks Guys n Girls

Dan :cool:

Welcome to mud!!:D

This forum is full of info, if you use the search function on the top, you might just find what your looking for. Also you might have better luck in the diesel tech section of the forum.

I'm not all that fimiliar w/ diesels, but I can tell you there is tons of options for lifts, you'll just have to research a little and find what is best for you and your budget.

Good Luck-

:cheers:

Welcome!!

Wish I had a diesel cruiser. Does it have a turbo? If not then get one.

Why chrome the bullbar?

Thanks for all the replies.

I shall do some searching about lift kits and so on.

I'm afraid it's not a Turbo:( and on our provisional licenses over here i can't add a turbo.

And.. the reason for the want to chrome the bullbar is.. i'm just addicted to chrome. :p

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Dan

MYTANK said:
And.. the reason for the want to chrome the bullbar is.. i'm just addicted to chrome. :pDan

I wouldn't let that secret out too often around here. Type the word "chrome" into search and it will almost always be followed by "removal."
Just tryin' to help out a fellow newb :D
:beer: :beer:

MYTANK said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I shall do some searching about lift kits and so on.

I'm afraid it's not a Turbo:( and on our provisional licenses over here i can't add a turbo.

And.. the reason for the want to chrome the bullbar is.. i'm just addicted to chrome. :p

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Dan
What the heck's a bull bar???

gnavarroo said:
What the heck's a bull bar???

Bull bar....
60nonwinchbbar.jpg

THanks for putting up that pic.. i'll take some after my exams are done.. ( won't be long )

I've been looking at a range of ARB products for it...

Can someone point me in the direction that explains how you lift kit a hj60 ? cause i'm used to lowering cars.. is it just the same thing.. but the other way (putting bigger springs in ) instead of putting smaller springs in ?

Dan

i thought a "bull bar" was called a "roo bar" around them parts?

one love
jah bill

Hey Guys.. some photos.. it's playing up at the moment.. transfer case is stuck in L4 see this thread to post your ideas/ thoughts about what it could be.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=1060873#post1060873

Photos :D

RIMG0237.jpg

RIMG0236.jpg

RIMG0235.jpg

RIMG0232.jpg

RIMG0231.jpg

RIMG0230.jpg

RIMG0229.jpg

RIMG0228.jpg

RIMG0227.jpg

RIMG0226.jpg

Enjoy ladies and gentlemen.. I will post photos of the rust... to give you an idea of how much work i'm going to have to do :(.

Dan

Chrome the Bull bar...
Cheers Dan and welcome. LOL I sure hope your old man owns the chrome plating shop to do the bullbar.Best spend the money on something more useful.Like aftermarket headlights, driving lights, stereo,lockers or limited slip diffs,or hzj calipers for the front. If you can't fit a turbo a set of extractors and 2 1/2 inch system would be next. It has a good set of rims so clean them up and repaint them as they are fine. Might look at bigger tyres later also.Red is faster why change to blue LOL then its less of a job painting the door jambs and engine bay.The wagon looks pretty good so it would not be a marathon to repaint it. You can do a body lift but I would suggest a new set of springs with a 2 inch lift to start with.Perhaps the transfer case is jammed because the shift shaft is rusted and full of dirt , pull the boot back and spray some wd spray on it. Have you had a look at anything under there? Not much to go on. Looks like you need a winch to pull Dad out the drivers seat. Good luck and welcome.

14 Year Build Thread Bump (It feels ridiculous writing that).

Yes, I still own this, It is partway through a body off frame restoration.. I have recently purchased a 1989 HJ61 to serve as my everyday driver.

I plan to update this thread with a few old photos showing it up to its current state.

@TheNeek's build thread on his FJ62 has re-motivated me to continue with the restoration and updating the build thread.

I've hoarded a heap of genuine parts over the year for this (After buying the last roof skin and some other body panels in Australia a long time ago).

This is how the car looks currently after a bare metal respray with a lot of new panels from Toyota and new body mounts / hardware.

1528528_10151873992157285_1308943242_n.jpg

I have a heap of photos of the journey getting it here..

It's funny looking back at some of the things I did/wanted to do to this when I was younger.

Cheers,

Dan

Looks great....I guess the commodore dream disappeared? :)

Haha! I've owned nothing but Toyota's my entire life - Currently have 10+! Nothing that was made after 1989 either!

This thing was a huge part of that, and having purchased the HJ61 recently it's so nice to be driving one again - Always brings a smile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom