Radiator leak after replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spectra states 1 "core" row. DENSO does not say

Manufacturing Origin:

FWIW- I contacted Spectra to find out the manufacturing origin of the CU2755- Its made in Indonesia.

Denso Taiwan: My experience is that Taiwan has quite high manufacturing standards and technology as compared to mainland China. I cannot say about Indonesia. Seems like any of these aftermarket options are a roll of the dice.

Last edited:
One other concern when moving away from the OEM, is the lower chamber for the transmission fluid lines?

What is the concern?

Do the aftemaker give same level of cooling for the ATF!

Edited to add "for the ATF"

Last edited:
Do the aftemaker give same level of cooling!
Do we know if the Toyota supplied replacement radiator is the same T.RAD as the original OES? Or is it a private labeled Denso or some other brand. I'd like to see the top of someone who's installed the Toyota part. @savirc did you replace with OEM part?

Spectra 2 yr warranty is definitely better than Denso's 1yr. Do you know the mfg. origin the Spectra rad's are manufactured? USA-CANADA- CHINA?

At the time I was researching Denso vs. Spectra.....Spectra's literature stated they were made in Canada. But I found out shortly thereafter....they had moved production to China. Radiators are built to spec there. I like that each radiator is pressure tested and has a 2 yr. warranty.

Spectra: "Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are tested in an endurance simulator in order to ensure that they exceed original equipment standards. Only the highest grades of materials are used in production to ensure product longevity. Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are drop in fit for easy installation and are validated for fit, form, and function before released into the market. All complete radiators are 100 per cent leak tested and equipped with accessory packs to accommodate various original equipment models. Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are manufactured under ISO 9001 / TS 16949 quality system."

I believe this is the thread where we discussed it:
Best replacement radiator for the money today...

I can only speak for the performance of mine. It's been about 14 months since I installed it. It performed great this last summer in the Texas heat.

And...I haven't seen any threads here about their Spectra radiator leaking, not being available, etc....

The same can not be said of the Denso and certain others (even if relatively rare in the scope of things).

Do the aftemaker give same level of cooling for the ATF!

Edited to add "for the ATF"

Our Land Cruisers/LX's have an external trans fluid cooler that does the lion's share of the cooling. The internal radiator heat exchanger, while it 'can' shed heat is really more useful to warm the fluid upon cold start. Of more concern to me...is the construction of the heat exchanger and IF it will allow Transmission Fluid and Coolant to mix if there is a failure.

'Hoser' provided an interesting link on that subject that has some thought provoking discourse.

It involves a different vehicle and I don't know if it would be accurate to extrapolate from it...the construction of the radiators we use in our 100 series. But worth reading anyway.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...33-radiator-comparison-denso-spectra-osc.html

The aftermarket construction of the internal heat exchangers would appear to be a safer bet with respect to a failure leading to mixing of fluids (IF we can assume the construction for their 100 series models).

At the time I was researching Denso vs. Spectra.....Spectra's literature stated they were made in Canada. But I found out shortly thereafter....they had moved production to China. Radiators are built to spec there. I like that each radiator is pressure tested and has a 2 yr. warranty.

Spectra: "Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are tested in an endurance simulator in order to ensure that they exceed original equipment standards. Only the highest grades of materials are used in production to ensure product longevity. Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are drop in fit for easy installation and are validated for fit, form, and function before released into the market. All complete radiators are 100 per cent leak tested and equipped with accessory packs to accommodate various original equipment models. Spectra Premium Complete Radiators are manufactured under ISO 9001 / TS 16949 quality system."

I believe this is the thread where we discussed it:
Best replacement radiator for the money today...

I can only speak for the performance of mine. It's been about 14 months since I installed it. It performed great this last summer in the Texas heat.

And...I haven't seen any threads here about their Spectra radiator leaking, not being available, etc....

The same can not be said of the Denso and certain others (even if relatively rare in the scope of things).
Did use use foam/rubber from your old radiator and did it completely fill the gap?

Did use use foam/rubber from your old radiator and did it completely fill the gap?

This was my one disappointment from the Denso. The OEM I removed had a really nice, glued on adhesive, perfectly filling gaps around the radiator. The replacement Denso had nothing and I didn't bother trying to refit the foam or add my own. I don't suspect that do be an issue, but it was a blatant difference between the two that might make me spend the extra $$ for the Toyota genuine part next time.

I've not even seen a OEM replacement. Do they come with the foam/rubber?

I did but a $80 2 core aftermarket a few years ago. I swap the foam, gluing onto replacement. It did not fill the gap!

The foam on my OEM had begun to deteriorate. When I tried to remove it....it tore so badly it was not reusable.

But a trip to my local home supply store yielded a reasonable substitute.

I've not even seen a OEM replacement. Do they come with the foam/rubber?

I did but a $80 2 core aftermarket a few years ago. I swap the foam, gluing onto replacement. It did not fill the gap!

I'm assuming they do, but perhaps not. The radiator I took out still had really nice foam on it. I still have it in my backyard in case I want to pull it off, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't come off cleanly so I didn't try.

I've been using this UNI foam product to stuff in places to divert mud, debris etc. Its quite durable and the coarse black skid plate foam drains very well.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 5.34.35 PM.png

I'm assuming they do, but perhaps not. The radiator I took out still had really nice foam on it. I still have it in my backyard in case I want to pull it off, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't come off cleanly so I didn't try.
I just ran a razor up tight against the the radiator, it came off pretty clean. From a 275K miles not so clean 00XL470.

Previous owner, and experienced MUD participant, sold me his ‘99 LC and conviently failed to mention the radiator was leaking .... along with a few other things he should’ve disclosed.

So I just replaced it with a TYC and a foam idea. Four layers of window seal foam tape. Fits snug as a bug.

B9C2C44E-7A8B-42A9-AA78-3A068A08B278.jpeg

Has anyone recently installed a Toyota radiator? Id like to verify if its a T.RAD or not.

T.RAD does have a US production facility in Kentucky, but do not appear to offer any aftermarket products through distribution direct to the public, so appears sold directly to OEM's

Supply to:
Acura, Honda Automotive, Honda Motorcycle, Toyota, Lexus, Hino, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Komatsu, Caterpillar, Isuzu, John Deere, JLG, Yamaha, Suzuki, AM General, Kawasaki, Polaris, Daimler, Cummins

So if the OEM replacement through Toyota is T.RAD is it worth the extra $$? I am doubtful that it would be made in Japan, if they have US production facility.

sometimes I don't get the hubub, the toyota radiators in the 200 fail a lot, read that thread for a time killer, boring as it is. Radiators just flat out aren't designed to last the time frame that everyone on here insists, or think they should.
Is everyone really that concerned about a sub 200 dollar part lasting ten years? and would you feel bad if it blew up at 7 years? Is someone to blame if you let you lc run over 200 degrees all the time because of your unrealistic expectations or ignorance? There's only a few choices and they all will last a fair amount of time.

I think I'm in a bad mood, I hate new england.

sometimes I don't get the hubub, the toyota radiators in the 200 fail a lot, read that thread for a time killer, boring as it is. Radiators just flat out aren't designed to last the time frame that everyone on here insists, or think they should.
Is everyone really that concerned about a sub 200 dollar part lasting ten years? and would you feel bad if it blew up at 7 years? Is someone to blame if you let you lc run over 200 degrees all the time because of your unrealistic expectations or ignorance? There's only a few choices and they all will last a fair amount of time.

^^^^^ :lol:

Have a beer, it’ll be over soon.....

I’m confident any radiator that replaces what came in the truck from the factory probably wont last half as long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom