Radiator leak after replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

I tried searching and although there a quite a few coolant leak threads, I couldn't find what I am experiencing.

So I am having a slow leak from the radiator dripping off the lower bolts on the passenger side. I first noticed it about three weeks ago along with a small crack at the top of the radiator. I chalked it up to the crack and replaced the radiator since it appeard to be original (220k miles). After the new radiator was installed I was still having the leak.

It leaks about a cup of fluid after being parked after driving. There is no coolant drip lines from the hoses which leads me to think it's not from the water pump (water pump replaced about 10k miles ago).

Any thoughts?

Overflow tank?

I will double check the overflow tank. It looks like there is some leakage on the top. I am going to replace the radiator cap and see if that makes a difference. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the cap but it's hard to tell.

Make sure the rad drain plug is tight and the rubber o-ring is not leaking

Let me guess.... you bought a Denso radiator didn't you? I've replaced 3 leaking Denso radiators.

2018-01-31_10-32-09.png

2018-01-31_10-30-30.png

Last edited:
@savirc were you able to identify exactly where the 3 leaks were? Common area?

@savirc were you able to identify exactly where the 3 leaks were? Common area?

Yes, they all come from the gasket seals where plastic meets aluminum fins.

Geeeze that really sucks. I did buy a denso radiator as it was listed as an OEM replacement. It is leaking from the EXACT spot as savirc’s pictures.

I am going to look at it a little more to see if i can pinpoint it but it does appear to be near where the plastic tank meets the fins on the bottom.

What radiator is recommended in place of the DENSO? I certainly don’t want to buy another since this one is literally brand new.

Any other recommendations?

Geeeze that really sucks. I did buy a denso radiator as it was listed as an OEM replacement. It is leaking from the EXACT spot as savirc’s pictures.

I am going to look at it a little more to see if i can pinpoint it but it does appear to be near where the plastic tank meets the fins on the bottom.

What radiator is recommended in place of the DENSO? I certainly don’t want to buy another since this one is literally brand new.

Any other recommendations?

Honestly after all the headaches I've had to deal with. I would recommend you buy the Toyota one. Its about $120 bucks more than the Denso. I've had 2 brand new Denso in my truck and they all leak.

Do you have a part number by chance?

Hey everyone,

I got home and go underneath the truck and confirmed it is leaking underneath fins between the tank on the passenger’s side. (See pics)

However, i also appear to have some dripping on the driver’s side above the oil filter somewhere that wasn’t dripping before. The hoses appear to be clamped well, not sure where it could be leaking from? Bad gasket? Cracked line?

AE270D79-CC92-42A1-B730-961E8D1EB3EE.jpeg

517ABAFA-5C0D-4714-BE1F-5E1F16F8BE50.jpeg

77C9C95F-2E0E-45A3-9A6E-A1608707195C.jpeg

995B87DA-CA7D-4B9A-8B2B-B43DBD239D22.jpeg

ADA9D93F-59A9-4B76-8E4D-EE183881EDA2.jpeg

I guess I am trying to diagnose the leak(s) to verify that the radiator is in fact faulty before I replace. My concern is that the leak from the first radiator is very similar to the second, so an existing leak is not out of the question.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I guess I am trying to diagnose the leak(s) to verify that the radiator is in fact faulty before I replace. My concern is that the leak from the first radiator is very similar to the second, so an existing leak is not out of the question.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

When the radiator is leaking the fan throws coolant all over, making it look like other things are leaking. Trust me it's the radiator. Especially if you didn't have a leak before the install. There is no coolant line going to the oil filter. Only transmission oil lines go to the radiator.

When the radiator is leaking the fan throws coolant all over, making it look like other things are leaking. Trust me it's the radiator. Especially if you didn't have a leak before the install.

That’s what im hoping. The radiator before was leaking and not leaking anywhere else.

At this point im at a loss for which to buy. Im reading mixed reviews on oem as well. Leaning towards a koyo or mishimoto at this point.

That’s what im hoping. The radiator before was leaking and not leaking anywhere else.

At this point im at a loss for which to buy. Im reading mixed reviews on oem as well. Leaning towards a koyo or mishimoto at this point.

I hear you, trust me this was my nightmare for a while. My last resort was AutoZone since their radiators are guaranteed and pressure tested. I can verify that they do test them as well as some of them dribble bits of water out of the box. There are several brands that pressure test. Oreally and AutoZone have a few.

I have a slow leak in the '99 LC that I bought a few months ago. I am replacing with a TYC from Amazon. This will be the 4th or 5th TYC I have used in all but the newest '06 LX. I have had good luck with all TYC radiators I have used.

Also, I paid $163 for the TYC with a 3 year warranty

Last edited:
Also check out Spectra. That's all they do. Radiators.

Interesting to see that the Denso radiators have failed several times. @savirc over what time period did you replace the 3 Denso rads: over the course of weeks, a few months or a year? Whos the vendor you purchased from? Did you contact Denso directly?

About a year ago there was no inventory of Denso radiators for several months. I wonder if they caught a production problem, or they switched a production facility , have a new a sub vendor, or something else. Denso is a quality OE supplier and its surprising there are all of these problems.

I have a new Denso I bought last month sitting in my shop waiting to be installed. This makes me a little paranoid now.

Interesting to see that the Denso radiators have failed several times. @savirc over what time period did you replace the 3 Denso rads: over the course of weeks, a few months or a year? Whos the vendor you purchased from? Did you contact Denso directly?

About a year ago there was no inventory of Denso radiators for several months. I wonder if they caught a production problem, or they switched a production facility , have a new a sub vendor, or something else. Denso is a quality OE supplier and its surprising there are all of these problems.

I have a new Denso I bought last month sitting in my shop waiting to be installed. This makes me a little paranoid now.

It was over the period of 9 months and still issues with new ones as of last month for a buddy of mine. Sold by Amazon.

I did attempt to contact Denso several times and received zero response.

They all leaked out of the box just had to wait to replace them over months due to time and other radiators availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom