Radiator leak after replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Savric, did you buy the Denso from an ebay or Amazon seller?
I have denso on my 3rd gen 4runner for 3 years now and 00 Cruiser for about 10 months, and still all good no leaks at all. Many at T4R.org (4runner forum) uses denso and all are happy. This is the first time I see two reporting those are defective out of the box.

There is a coolant line going into oil cooler located right above the oil filter. Since the OP is planning to rpelace the radiator again, get the coolant hoses to and from the oil filter and replace all that. Buy OEM always.

I think if I had one I had second thoughts on, I’d take it to a radiator shop before install and have it pressure tested. Surprising these Denso rads are doing this

Savric, did you buy the Denso from an ebay or Amazon seller?
I have denso on my 3rd gen 4runner for 3 years now and 00 Cruiser for about 10 months, and still all good no leaks at all. Many at T4R.org (4runner forum) uses denso and all are happy. This is the first time I see two reporting those are defective out of the box.

There is a coolant line going into oil cooler located right above the oil filter. Since the OP is planning to rpelace the radiator again, get the coolant hoses to and from the oil filter and replace all that. Buy OEM always.

The sellers I used are Amazon sellers. All of them looked original Denso, with marked denso boxes, denso instruction install booklet and well packed. No sign of fake Denso or hallmark of a knockoff. The radiator it self has no permanent print indicating it's a Denso besides an oval sticker at the top says "Denso".

Densos don't look oem quality to me. I'm very detailed oriented and noted a few things that the Toyota had over the Denso. Will always buy Toyota from now on.

When I referred to lines earlier I meant lines going in and out of the radiator. There is only 4. In and outlet for engine and in and out for tranny.

I agree with @savirc The OEM T.Rad radiator manufactured in Japan is of better quality the Denso manufactured in Taiwan. The Densos might be OE on some Toyotas but not the 100 series. With that said, I slapped my Denso Radiator in and left for a 1200 mile road trip two days later w/o any issues.

If I was to buy again, I'd by the OEM T-Rad. It is more money but I think it is much cheaper than it used to be.... before T.Rad was busted for price fixing. :slap:

Just food for thought...I had a coolant leak on my GX470 and couldn’t find it either. Turned out to be the front water bypass pipe or crossover tube. Something else for you to check. Good luck.

This is discouraging, I put a denso in two months ago.

Correct, some parts of Denso are close to OEM but NEVER 100% to an OEM counterpart. I bought a denso distributor cap for the toyota Sprinter (marketed here as Geo Prizm) and it is from W.Germany, so I am not happy!
Savirc, sorry about me misreading the hoses and their locations. My bad.

The Toyota radiator is expensive; and there are two specs available depending on model year:
  • 16400-50360 States it fits 98-2002 (Mexico Spec:? not sure what that means exactly). List is $456.39 and discount price $315.54
  • 16400-50290 States it fits 2003-2007 List is $601.80 and discount price $416.07
In my case for my 05 the Toyota radiator is $242 more expensive before factoring in shipping. Ive read that people are having early failures with the Toyota radiators as well, so it sounds like a gamble either way. I do not know even that the replacement Toyota radiators are made by TRAD- can anyone confirm?

I'm going to roll the dice and install the new Denso I have sitting here ( and save my old radiator). If there is any problem, I'll pull it and return it.

Check here for a brand new OEM radiator for 2000 Cruiser for $ 334. Probably will be the same for newer models.
2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

More expensive at Camelback but for Western States buyers maybe cheaper since shipping included and the prices in my above post are from Concelli in PA.
  • 16400-50360 $334 on Camelback ( but free shipping) fits 98-2002
  • 16400-50290 $441 on Camelback ( but free shipping) fits 2003-2007
Either one is still significantly more expensive than Denso aftermarket. Still wondering if there was a bad batch of these Denso radiators or simply a result of a crappy supplier.

Either one is still significantly more expensive than Denso aftermarket. Still wondering if there was a bad batch of these Denso radiators or simply a result of a crappy supplier.

Could it be the way they are packaged and shipped? Radiators are not exactly sturdy and one good drop coupled with poor packaging might be enough to cause one to crack. I have always had good luck with Denso parts.

@savirc @saleach Just curious if you both changed your radiator cap for new OE ones? A failed cap can certainly cause for higher coolant system pressure... and cause a leak.

Could it be the way they are packaged and shipped? Radiators are not exactly sturdy and one good drop coupled with poor packaging might be enough to cause one to crack. I have always had good luck with Denso parts.

Packed perfectly zero damage to radiator. Too much packing actually.

Packed perfectly zero damage to radiator. Too much packing actually.

Replaced with brand new Toyota cap on all trucks

My assessment is manufacturing process. Bad batch.

My assessment is manufacturing process. Bad batch.
I tend to agree and the problem I see is after being out of stock for months, that probably zero’d inventory in the field. Then backfilling warehouses with new inventory with possibly affected product. 3 cases dont make trend, but I did read on a Lexus forum(not 470s) of some people experiencing Denso failure at the 14month range- leaking at the same place as your fail point. @savirc did you happen to snap a pic of the bar code and production date on the box you received?

Fwiw-Purchased through Rockauto

Date? 20817
19ADA052-37C3-4826-A336-74757C303C4B.jpeg

Just replaced my rad after smacking the hell out of the fins with my wrench trying to loosen the damn compressor bolts doing my tbelt. Denso from Advanced Auto. 290 out the door. Same box as above. No problems and fit well so far.

Also check out Spectra. That's all they do. Radiators.

^^^^^^^ Yep. My recommendation too. After a lot of research (turning up not a few Denso complaints) I chose a Spectra CU2282 for my 99 LX470. Perfect fit, has been doing great for over a year now.

I generally like and trust Denso products, but in this case....I'm not convinced that staying either Toyota or Denso is any advantage. Purists might argue that.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^ Yep. My recommendation too. After a lot of research (turning up not a few Denso complaints) I chose a Spectra CU2282 for 99 LX470. Perfect fit, has been doing great for over a year now.

I generally like and trust Denso products, but in this case....I'm not convinced that staying either Toyota or Denso is any advantage. Purists might argue that.
Spectra 2 yr warranty is definitely better than Denso's 1yr. Do you know the mfg. origin the Spectra rad's are manufactured? USA-CANADA- CHINA?

FYI for 2003-2007 Spectra part# CU2755

I put a new spectra in also. It's been about a year I think, all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom